Adventures in Chrome

hooglebug

when i first got it i contacted them to see if there was enough clear coat to be able to flat and buff it without going through and they said something along the lines of "we already told him that its not an exact science and it most likely wouldnt turn out perfect so the orange peel is unavoidable"

its not really my business to go telling them 'you did this this and this wrong', im sure they'd say they have so many years experience and who am i to tell them and so on. which would be a fair point. and this might well be a one in a million thing

if this turns out well, would you be willing to do my strat in chrome? or maybe even black chrome? (not sure if you've looked into that sort of thing yet)

i assume you haven't ordered the other paint yet anyway

to do black chrome all you have to do is tint the top coat. i bought some gold to see about doing an actual gold top finish (test first obviously). so you can have whatever colour you want

to do black chrome all you have to do is tint the top coat. i bought some gold to see about doing an actual gold top finish (test first obviously). so you can have whatever colour you want

What about a chrome burst?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

the neck is all sanded up ready for spraying (i still have to level the frets) and the body is almost ready for primer, just needs a bit of sanding. once the primer is on it will need a couple of days to make sure any fumes have gone, then the black can go on

the black is the most important bit because it needs to be perfect. its going to need another go because there are a few bits of dust in it. so i'll flat it again tomorrow and give it another go. hopefully it should be good then. then its just waiting for all the fumes to go before i can apply the silver

so after the first try with the black got too much dust and orange peel, i had another go today, and thought id do it outside. less chance of bits.

so i thinned the mixture and upped the pressure so the orange peel would be better and sprayed. it looked good. then some cornflies decided to land on it. little shitting bastards. so im going to have to flat it down again tomorrow and have another go at spraying when theres no cornflies wafting about