What would make a great opener/closer?

TheRD101Person

I never really thought Uprising was a good opener, it's a bit of a week song. The whole Supremacy explosion opener is pretty cool, and I'd love to see either Dead Star or Showbiz close a set, that would be wild!

I thought the full We Are The Universe sequence, the curtain descending and the huge wallop of bass at the start of that tour was fucking epic. Not quite as good at Wembley but still impressive, if mainly for the fact it sent the crowd fucking nuts.

I thought the full We Are The Universe sequence, the curtain descending and the huge wallop of bass at the start of that tour was fucking epic. Not quite as good at Wembley but still impressive, if mainly for the fact it sent the crowd fucking nuts.

I agree completely, that's a good opening sequence! But as an individual song (and basing on the gigs I've been too) Uprising had the weakest response as an opener, compared to New Born, Unsustainable and Supremacy

I liked We Are The Universe much better than the Sirens intro. Although I never saw the sirens intro with the protesters so it wasn't the full experience of it.

That curtain drop is one of my favorite moments of any gig though.

I agree completely, that's a good opening sequence! But as an individual song (and basing on the gigs I've been too) Uprising had the weakest response as an opener, compared to New Born, Unsustainable and Supremacy

It works as an opener based on the structure, placing, and the fact it's a big single. But New Born and Supremacy were better openers. Unsustainable was a great opener but, like all the other songs I saw at the O2 last October until the encores, something felt lacking.

It works as an opener based on the structure, placing, and the fact it's a big single. But New Born and Supremacy were better openers. Unsustainable was a great opener but, like all the other songs I saw at the O2 last October until the encores, something felt lacking.

An opener which gets the crowd moving is always great, I remember at Reading when the crowd just fell during the riff in New Born. I still think Matt singing the vocals for unsustainable would make it a lot better live :rolleyes:

Still cant get over how good Stockholm Syndrome was closing the main set this year so definitely that to close.

Would like to see Knights opening, always gets the crowd going straight away which Uprising/Supremacy maybe lacks a bit

And now for the worst opener/closer...

Opener: *Explosion*... and then Save Me. Matt doesn't play guitar at all. Instead he walks around and chats to the fans.

Closer: Interlude to Popcorn (cover) then they proceed to tease crowd with two notes of the Dead Star riff. Chris and Dom leave the stage. Matt stays and lies down on his back and makes the plug-in-baby intro screeching noises for 20 minutes - but with his voice instead of the fuzz factory on his guitar.

Edited by Tom//P

Opening: Take a Bow/Yes Please/Dead Star/Knights of Cydonia/Stockholm Syndrome/Butterflies & Hurricanes/New Born/Bliss/Micro Cuts/Exogenesis Pt 1 (Overture)/Assassin/Map of the Problematique/MK Ultra

Closing: Bliss/Stockholm Syndrome/Supremacy/Unsustainable/Survival/Knights of Cydonia/Ashamed/Showbiz/Bliss/Fury

a couple of people I talked to after Barcelona were just disappointed by the lack of impact in the ending, yes there were flames but they were expecting big fireworks or something, regardless of what the song was they weren't sure it was actually finished...

but anyway.

To answer the actual question in the title rather than list specific songs because, as has been pointed out, it depends on what the tour is for as to what songs will fit the bill, an opener needs to get people moving and up and into the spirit of things, so yeah Uprising, I quite like Supremacy but it's not as bouncy... Different to an intro track, which should build excitement but not drag on too long, I'm looking at you What's He Building In There?

Closers... I struggle with Starlight because I expect a Muse gig to end with a massive bounce/mosh/scrum and Dom going nuts on the drums at the end, before pyro/CO2/fireworks. A friend's band close with Comfortably Numb and that's just awful, so flat and depressing, I want to leave a gig keyed up and pumping my fist going 'fuck yeah!' basically.

a couple of people I talked to after Barcelona were just disappointed by the lack of impact in the ending, yes there were flames but they were expecting big fireworks or something, regardless of what the song was they weren't sure it was actually finished...

but anyway.

To answer the actual question in the title rather than list specific songs because, as has been pointed out, it depends on what the tour is for as to what songs will fit the bill, an opener needs to get people moving and up and into the spirit of things, so yeah Uprising, I quite like Supremacy but it's not as bouncy... Different to an intro track, which should build excitement but not drag on too long, I'm looking at you What's He Building In There?

Closers... I struggle with Starlight because I expect a Muse gig to end with a massive bounce/mosh/scrum and Dom going nuts on the drums at the end, before pyro/CO2/fireworks. A friend's band close with Comfortably Numb and that's just awful, so flat and depressing, I want to leave a gig keyed up and pumping my fist going 'fuck yeah!' basically.

Wtf? Comfortably Numb is one of the most epic sounding songs ever, its a great way to close. How the heck is it flat and depressing?

maybe I've heard it close too many times? Don't get me wrong, I love the song, but it's, well, mournful

I think the point is not necessarily being a heavy / intense / uplifting song but having a "closure" feel to it. With the exception of BHaR (although Take a Bow was recorded to be the closer!), take a look at every Muse album closer. Well, those would work as good gig closers too, for small venues, I suppose.

I think the point is not necessarily being a heavy / intense / uplifting song but having a "closure" feel to it. With the exception of BHaR (although Take a Bow was recorded to be the closer!), take a look at every Muse album closer. Well, those would work as good gig closers too, for small venues, I suppose.

not for me, that's just not how I want to leave a gig