What would make a great opener/closer?

TheRD101Person

For this tour anyway

Opener - New Born, Plug In Baby, Dead Star, Apocalypse Please, Hysteria, Take A Bow, Map Of The Problematique, Assassin, Uprising, MK Ultra, Supremacy, Unsustainable, Isolated System

Closer - Showbiz, Dead Cuts, Stockholm Syndrome, Take A Bow, Knights Of Cydonia, Survival

For this tour anyway

Opener - New Born, Plug In Baby, Dead Star, Apocalypse Please, Hysteria, Take A Bow, Map Of The Problematique, Assassin, Uprising, MK Ultra, Supremacy, Unsustainable, Isolated System

Nah.

For this tour anyway

Not opening with a song from The 2nd Law on a tour called "The 2nd Law World Tour" just feels wrong.

Showbiz would work as an opener in a smaller indoor academy-type venue. I don't think the low drum beat would be anywhere near as effective at an arena/park/stadium-type venue but it would certainly work well with a small venue.

Survival is a horrible opener though. As an opener, it would just sort of chug along. It's not really a proper rock song like Dead Star, MK Ultra or Map so you can't really rock out to it and it's not really a build song like Take A Bow or Overture so it doesn't set-up the next song. It works so much better as a main set/encore/show closer.

Blackout (Matt with guitar)

Exogenesis 3

If they did like a slow closer type thing like Green Day do, then I think Exo part 3 could be great in that position.. but I guess it depends where it's played ... would be like a nice back to earth moment after something like stockholm / knights / survival / whatever.

But I do love them ending with massive numbers like survival / knights / stockholm though

Surprised no one brought up Bliss as closer, like it was way back in the dark ages...or rather, the mushroom ages. I've only seen it live in 2013, both times mid-set, but I wouldn't mind it closing either the main set or encore. :happy: Anything would be a better closer than Starlight though...Stockholm, Survival and TaB would be my personal faves.

And Dead Star opening would be epic and is never going to happen. :indiff:

Uprising was fantastic as an opener at the O2 gig in 2009 but I love the intro on this stadium tour, with the explosion leading into Supremacy.

Best main set closer I've seen was Unnatural Selection, although Megalomania weirdly worked in this slot.

Knights of Cydonia is a great closer but Survival, which I've only seen close once in my 3 T2L gigs, is close. It would've been great if the Emirates gig had ended there, but they carried on to do more anyway. I don't have much to go on given I've only seen KoC, Survival and Starlight as closers.