2013.10.4/11 - Austin City Limits Festival, Austin, TX, US

agenthal

Well looks like this year the promoters of aclfest are doing a total cash grab!

This year they are no longer selling single day passes, and you can't sell or

Remove your wrist band and sell or give to someone to use for a day.

They are also having some new system where they are going to make it

A real pain in the ass for people to sell their passes. I was really dying

To see Muse at ACL this year but 225 bucks to see a lot of bands I really

Don't care about (I mean there are some great bands besides Muse)

But not enough to justify being hosed for 225 bucks and being packed

In like sardines and moved around like cattle.

For 200 bucks you can get some pretty killer seats to some of Muse's

Stadium shows.

And those extra VIP and platinum packages are for suckers with holes

In their pockets. These fests are starting to become a joke.

More and more 3-day festivals are doing away with single-day passes. But yeah, festivals aren't worth it if you're only going for one band. I dig the whole lineup, and for me, the flight costs to Austin are literally 1/10th of what it would cost to fly to a stadium show.

VIP passes have always been a scam since the dawn of festivals, though.

• 3 weeks later...

My high school reunion has been scheduled for October 12. Oh noes!

:LOL: Kidding. I've never had a better excuse for ditching school-related things. Let's see, Muser meet + awesome festival vs. meeting a bunch of people I really don't want to see...

Is there anything a first-time visitor to Austin should see besides the park where the festival is? I didn't have a lot of time to play tourist at Lolla, just saw the Bean and got some popcorn that appeared on Oprah. :chuckle: Tentatively landing on Thursday and leaving late on Monday though, so I have a bit more time.

• 1 month later...

Mad I can't get a single day pass for that Friday. My aunt works for the PD here and is good friends with the head of security, who lets her in for free. She's going to take my brother for one day during week 1 and me for 1 day during week 2. Thing is, she's not taking Friday off, which is the only day I really care about.

• 4 weeks later...

Any hope for Muse playing some old fan favorites (CE, B&H, Dead Star...) for the ACL gig, or do you think they'll stick to the somewhat predictable setlist like the rest of the US tour from earlier this year? I'd imagine they'd throw in some fan favorites with it being a huge outdoor festival and all.

Any hope for Muse playing some old fan favorites (CE, B&H, Dead Star...) for the ACL gig, or do you think they'll stick to the somewhat predictable setlist like the rest of the US tour from earlier this year? I'd imagine they'd throw in some fan favorites with it being a huge outdoor festival and all.
It's very likely they'll stick to the songs suitable for the larger audience, so most of the songs we've seen them play at for example the Summer Sonic Festival earlier this month. It's probably even unnecessary to mention but I don't think anyone can predict whether they'll have a rare song up their sleeve or not. And hope is a bitch, the next time I go to a gig I won't hope for specific songs, you'll only get disappointed (unless it's Feeling Good). :erm:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I loved the TX loves Muse on the big screen! It looked awesome. :happy:

See you guys again this Friday (when hopefully ACL has a little more power to back the guys up :LOL: - my 8 year old with Autism, who worships Muse, was horrified by the power issues)

See you guys again this Friday (when hopefully ACL has a little more power to back the guys up :LOL: - my 8 year old with Autism, who worships Muse, was horrified by the power issues)

So I am still not clear---did Muse actually blow out the power, or was it just faulty system/fault of ACL?? And I am assuming this cut the set short...or..?? Thanks! :)

It actually says relatively good things about the gig... it's just a very bad reviewer. :LOL:

I'm so tired of the first half of any Muse review having to be about how the reviewer is 'way too cool for this shit;' the band was actually really good and the show was great, but 'of course that's just still not my thing - cuz I'm am adult. And cool.'

And I snorted so hard at the idea of Bellamy's "tough guy rock stance" that I think I popped a blood vessel in my eye.

And what is with everyone and their dog thinking Bellamy lipsynchs? Are other bands seriously that bad that this would be a huge shock?

I just don't get how someone can be, seemingly, a music journalist and still be "der, der, der, I don't know who Muse are, lol".

EDIT: Rolling Stone's write-up doesn't even mention Muse :rolleyes:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/atoms-for-peace-lionel-richie-close-first-week-of-austin-city-limits-20131007

He liked the show and I agree with him almost entirely.

That's not really the point, though... "Reviews" nowdays are more of a platform for people to spout off about themselves than to actually REVIEW something.

They just use the attention grabber of a big event, or media, that will get people reading, and then use that as a platform to stroke their own ego.

It's not just Muse, or concerts; there's a real problem in general.

Every time I read a video game review on a "reputable" source, it goes like "Well, I really hate JRPGs... they're childish, clichéd, and outdated. Here's my review of the latest JRPG to hit the market!"

Really? Fuck off. :LOL:

More OT: if Muse's people were responsible for the equipment failure, that's kinda sad. :(

Exactly how little fuel would there have had to been if they ran out immediately?? Yikes.

First of all that Review is shit, and I read it all. And the guy sounds like an idiot.

And to be fair, the guy never saw Muse's real tour shows. He saw them for the first

time ever at a festival which not only the power went out numerous times but I heard

through tons of people there were sound problems through the whole set.

My gf and I decided for the money that we would have to pay (forced to buy 3 day passes)

and DM played the same time as MUSE anyways, it was a total rip off and ACL has

the gulls to charge 100 bucks a day for parking, and not to mention hotel or renting

some place. Flight+lodging+passes, it was easily close to 3 grand just for 1 weekend.

I rather pay a thousand dollars for front row in Pittsburgh or Cleveland in the middle of Winter!

I was excited when they announced Muse playing ACL but the organizers did a total

cash grab this year. And lets be honest people, that setlist considering the audio

problems was not worth all that money and I am a huge Muse fan.

That sign was the Gonzales sisters! :) Muse friends.

We need to meet up at some point over the weekend, Evie!

Archived