Rather hope at the Emirates they rotate closers, like swap Starlight with Survival or something, in the same way they did at the O2 with that and Knights. They've already shown with Dead Star they aren't obeying the tour setlist like it's a rule of thumb.

It's really easy to see how closing with Starlight and playing a lot of the songs without guitar is a horrible idea... I have no idea how Muse never said "You know what? Maybe I shouldnt not play the guitar for these songs" or "Maybe we shouldn't close with Starlight. It could be to anti-climatic". But it probably never crossed their minds for some reason. I dunno. Just blows me brain.

It's weird, kids.

Some short comparisons on Matts guitar work laziness (not guitar sound or anything, only what he plays) from now and earlier tours:

Resistance/UD: intros at TR tour were not bad (sometimes decent), this tour dropped completly.

Tiro: compare the details now and 2004

Hysteria: then adding nice details in verses, intersting intro/outro stuff; now almost everything dropped.

Blackout: see Wembley and yesterday

Starlight: he wasn't already playing much except the chorus in TR and T2L tour, compare SBE 2006 or Abbey Road... Coventry total fail...

Panic Station: 1st verse not played live, feels empty...+

Follow Me doesn't really bother me, as the guitar plays no major role...

-> lazy Matt is lazy

I doubt us ranting will have any impact on whether he plays or not, but on the .1% chance it helps...

Matt not playing really diminishes the experience for me. I've tried to rationalize it, and can't come up with anything that makes sense.

Are the guitars are getting too heavy for him? I know I've seen a snippet or 2 about him designing the Manson guitars to be lighter.

If he doesn't want to be tied to a microphone stand, maybe a cordless headset one?

Reading he didn't play Blackout pushed me over the edge, and to posting about it. There's hardly any guitar in it, but what's there has quite a bit of energy and personality.

Maybe next tour Matt can just play the shakey-thing during SMBH?

Morgan Nicholls and the Muses made me chuckle yesterday - kudos to whoever came up with it.

From Guitarplanet:

Matthew Bellamy

The scope of Bellamy’s stardom has been considerably wide; extending beyond the success of Muse – the alternative rock band that he leads with guitar and vocals – and into sex icon history as he has been charged with the label of the world’s Sexiest Male on not one, not two, but three separate occasions.

But sex appeal isn’t the only badge Bellamy has earned for himself. He can be found among the ranks of Total Guitar’s “Top 100 Guitarists of All Time” on top of having created their 13th “Greatest Riff of All Time”. Bellamy can even be found in the Guinness Book of World Records for having smashed the most guitars in a single tour (140).

Having been named “the Hendrix of his generation”, it is no doubt that Matthew Bellamy takes rank among our most influential.

Please Matt, just play the guitar.

Some short comparisons on Matts guitar work laziness (not guitar sound or anything, only what he plays) from now and earlier tours:

Resistance/UD: intros at TR tour were not bad (sometimes decent), this tour dropped completly.

Hysteria: then adding nice details in verses, intersting intro/outro stuff; now almost everything dropped.

Starlight: he wasn't already playing much except the chorus in TR and T2L tour, compare SBE 2006 or Abbey Road... Coventry total fail...

-> lazy Matt is lazy

I swear there's no guitar in the first verse of Panic Station anyway

-> lazy Matt is lazy

Yes I can see how it might be a tad annoying to people that he isn't playing guitar as much on those songs but the only song out of those that I care about is Blackout. I don't mind him not playing guitar on Starlight because

A. I don't care about the song that much

B. It's a pop song

C. It doesn't have a guitar solo

The rest of the things you mentioned (besides Blackout) are just minor things and not really a huge deal.

Oh and the Resistance intro was kinda cool but I think it dragged on too long and it's good that they are cutting back on the intros to save time for more songs.

Archived