2013.04.06 - Centennial Olympic Park, Atlanta, GA

muse samuse

Hello all!

Long time muser and lurker. First time poster. I guess I feel like it's time.

Allow me to share my experiences with this concert.

Before concert:

So I'll spare the details of my planning but suffice it to say I ended up spending a lot more than I originally thought I would.

Anyway, after 3 hours of sleep (due to working on last minute plans and making a t-shirt for the concert) my girlfriend and I drove 6 hours to the park to arrive as soon as it opened. We spent the entire day trying to come up with a way to meet the band. For the better part of 8 hours until the show, we braved the other acts and stood as close as we could to backstage without a pass. We'd hoped that they would arrive early and somehow the opportunity would arise. Some time between Flo-Rida and the start of the game, we saw Dom (and possibly Chris-we couldn't tell since he never turned around) and tried to get his attention. He looked in our direction but I guess he didn't see/hear us. We met a couple of musers (who in large didn't seem to arrive until late) and introduced muse to some guards we met. I met one guy with an original Muse EP hoping to get it signed. With ten minutes left in the game, we gave up and made our way to the crowd. I tried to get up to the front but it wasn't happening, so we stayed put somewhere in the middle.

During show:

So some people said the crowd was dead. I'm not sure. From where I was standing I could only hear a few people singing. I think I was the only one around me who knew all the words. Nevertheless, the crowd seemed into it. They cheered for every song and threw their hands up, but there was only one person near me who was seriously head banging and I was the only one jumping. I got the feeling the barricades would have been different but i'll never know. I loved Matt's improv and his random shriek. :LOL: Made the whole night. Who was operating the cameras, though? Not very well done imo. Of course the power went out, but everyone running the show handled it well and quickly, too. during the power outage, the crowd began to sing. At first I thought it was follow me, which I thought was beautiful, but I soon realized it was the riff to seven nation army. What?:(

Of course, they stuck to their hits, but it's to be expected. That didn't make it any less awesome.

Of course there was no pyramid or floating acrobats, but they still pulled off a great lights show and the C02 cannons still made an appearance :D For those of you that attended this as your first show, it isn't really indicative of their usual shows. They're generally better and with better crowds. I can't recommend them enough.

After show:

We left a little bit before the show was over (gasp :eek: !) in a last ditch effort to catch them before they left. We went around the back to find a few more people with the same idea. There were ten of us in all, we split up into three groups and after a surprisingly long while ( I thought they would have left immediately) somebody caught them about to leave. I hopped on the fence and waved to Chris. He waved back at me but I couldn't think of what to say. Luckily, the other people started talking. I thought they were going to leave and then suddenly Chris jumped up on the fence and said "Hello!" :D I swear any time I'm unhappy I'll think of that and it will cheer me up. He was so friendly and bubbly it was awesome. I had a lot of things I wanted to say (like all the stuff I planned to say if I got my chance or how much I love Liquid State and Save Me) but I knew they needed to leave soon and he was giving autographs and I didn't want to miss my chance. Like an idiot, I didn't bring something good for him to sign and I didn't take my ipod out of my case beforehand so I just had him side my botched homemade shirt that suddenly has value. Now I just have to be prepared for the next time!:p

So after all my pains, time, and money, it was worth it a million times over :) Looking forward to the show in September!

By the way, how did people get those VIP lounge passes? I'm pretty sure some of those people got meet and greets.

Wow, that's great that you and some other fans got to meet them! I'm glad they realize there were some appreciative fans about. :D

I don't know who all the VIPs were on Matt's side (where I was), but some were radio people (including 2 kids whose Dad works at a station and they got to meet the band). There were a few people that seemed into it, but most were just loitering around and chatting the whole time. Some of the people were radio contest winners. I tried every day last week to win that damn thing, but no go. Most of the winners sounded unenthusiastic when they were put on the radio and notified that they won. :rolleyes: However, one friend of mine won and she was completely mental when they put her on the radio, so they talked to her for a good while. She was over in the VIP section on Chris' side, though. I never did find out who won the meet and greets.

Hmm. I looked on all the websites for atlanta radio stations and I only found two that even MENTIONED the big dance, so I figured none of the stations were doing contests. Oh well. You're completely right about the VIP area. It was empty too. Such a shame. I would have paid to get in. I saw more VIPs during the other acts. That's cool that your friend got in though.

Right now I'm trying to win the backstage passes for september on the main site. I don't think its working for me though.

I never went. Just stressed and I drove into Georgia only to turn back to FL (I only live 30 minutes from GA border anyway) bc I didn't have as much money as I thought I did and just had too much work that I had been neglecting.

In hindsight i'm glad I didn't go bc I wouldn't have had much left over to purchase a ticket this week for the Duluth show in Sept. I'll now be eating pasta for the next month now...wooooo.

But glad to hear the crowd wasn't as bland as it looked on the livestream and gosh I was really rooting for Matt to puncture that screen :LOL:

Hello all!

Of course the power went out, but everyone running the show handled it well and quickly, too. during the power outage, the crowd began to sing. At first I thought it was follow me, which I thought was beautiful, but I soon realized it was the riff to seven nation army. What?:

Thanks for summarizing..wanted to get down there from the burbs, but the wife wasn't up to a large crowd.

Anyway - that wasn't Seven Nation Army. That was the chant that goes with the "Tomahawk Chop" our locals do for the Atlanta Braves. They're sports fans, so it's what they know. Not a Muse crowd, but not even a "music" crowd.

Thanks for summarizing..wanted to get down there from the burbs, but the wife wasn't up to a large crowd.

Anyway - that wasn't Seven Nation Army. That was the chant that goes with the "Tomahawk Chop" our locals do for the Atlanta Braves. They're sports fans, so it's what they know. Not a Muse crowd, but not even a "music" crowd.

Haha I'm a 'nole (I go to fsu) and noticed them doing the chop. LOL that's what we do at our football games I was like why are they doing that! That's the nole chop! Did some research and apparently the Braves adopted it from the FSU crowds back in the day. I mean its nothing revolutionary but was just funny. I also got around to watching the Conan in ATL week of shows and they did it there. Too funny. It is like a cult thing though. Any silent moment...Do the chop!

Haha I'm a 'nole (I got fsu) and noticed them doing the chop. LOL that's what we do at our football games I was like why are they doing that! That's the nole chop! Did some research and apparently the Braves adopted it from the FSU crowds back in the day. I mean its nothing revolutionary but was just funny. I also got around to watching the Conan in ATL week of shows and they did it there. Too funny. It is like a cult thing though. Any silent moment...Do the chop!

I was so irritated when they started doing the Tomahawk chop. How about singing Bliss or something? lol. I was yelling "Sunburn acoustic!"

Yeah true I thought it was weird they did it at a concert and not only that it was for NCAA basketball not for any Braves related event so it was weird. I heard the "muse muse muse..." chant when people were trying to do the chop haha.

OMG yeah if the crowd continued singing Follow Me for them that would have been awesome! I was hoping for that would've been a cool moment.

Yeah true I thought it was weird they did it at a concert and not only that it was for NCAA basketball not for any Braves related event so it was weird.

They were doing it all weekend.

By the way, how did people get those VIP lounge passes? I'm pretty sure some of those people got meet and greets.

My friend asked one of the guards and was told you could buy them online...I don't remember seeing anything about VIP passes on the NCAA website, but that would explain why it was so empty. People obviously didn't want to purchase tickets to a free show...I think most of the people I saw in there were with someone like AT&T/COKE/NCAA or one of the other sponsoring organizations.

They were doing it all weekend.

My friend asked one of the guards and was told you could buy them online...I don't remember seeing anything about VIP passes on the NCAA website, but that would explain why it was so empty. People obviously didn't want to purchase tickets to a free show...I think most of the people I saw in there were with someone like AT&T/COKE/NCAA or one of the other sponsoring organizations.

I recall seeing it on the NCAA final four site. It said something about ultimate VIP experience or something. Didn't realise it included getting great access at the concert as well but yeah like you said many probably didn't bother bc it was a free show.

I recall seeing it on the NCAA final four site. It said something about ultimate VIP experience or something. Didn't realise it included getting great access at the concert as well but yeah like you said many probably didn't bother bc it was a free show.

Yeah, they didn't really make that clear. In addition to the sectioned off pit, they had a catered tent for VIP pass holders as well, which seemed to always be close to empty. I watched the rest of Muse's set from their after I finished taking pictures and there wasn't any more than 10 people up there including the 3 or 4 staff members and 2 police officers...haha.

Thanks for clearing that up about the chop. Forgive me for my ignorance. I don't remember seeing anything on the NCAA website either, but oh well. It seemed like there were more people in the VIP sections for the other shows. Has anyone uploaded the entire show somewhere?

Thanks for clearing that up about the chop. Forgive me for my ignorance. I don't remember seeing anything on the NCAA website either, but oh well. It seemed like there were more people in the VIP sections for the other shows. Has anyone uploaded the entire show somewhere?

Most of it is here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytR5qURKpSM

The last few songs in better quality:

Archived