Do muse fans take muse seriously ? ..

cfc

by observation I came to the conclusion that many muse fans hail muses music as best ever and so on.. this would be ok if I had any proof that these people have any idea what the music represents and what it is trying to say, I mean muse do compose a bit more serious and complex music..what do you think..

Uhm the whole question seems very silly. What music represents is usually something that the band encourage the listener to figure out by themselves, meaning the band don't know themselves. Matt has on several occasions admitted to not really knowing what his lyrics mean.

Enjoyment of music because of the idea that they "get" the song isn't more worth than someone who just thinks it sounds good.

actually no.. muses songs have a certain meaning to them and don't believe everything that bellamy says is true since the guy talks in metaphors constantly.. but during live performances and interviews he gives, let's say, clues to where you should concentrate while listening to their music.. if you pay attention to certain songs, every instrument has a role, besides musically, and those instruments (including vocals, inserts, loops, beats..) represent layers to a story which is told by a song, group of songs or an album..

plus listening to muse and not knowing or trying to know the segment that puts their music on the border of art (art rock) is like reading a book (desirably by a pretencious author ) and not knowing what you have read, but calling the material best ever..

I have trouble understanding the question, I mean are you talking about the lyrics or the music?

But generally, I don't take a lot of the lyrics seriously. I genuinly think Matt has a great level of sincerity in his intentions, especially with the more political ones (maybe not the one about Zetas, ahem) but the overall "we can rise up together to fight the man" message seems to be more about getting the crowd going than truly thinking their music can change anything. I just don't see him as a poignant enough a lyricist to actually say anything of real worth about those topics. So I just usually take them for what they are and concentrate on the music itself.

The lyrics dealing with love&relationships I do take seriously, I mean why wouldn't I.

As for the music, there obviously are some completely over the top and cheesy moments which induce more than a few grins and/or eyerolls. But if I thought the music overall comes from a humour point of view overall, it would become very tiresome, very soon.

actually no.. muses songs have a certain meaning to them and don't believe everything that bellamy says is true since the guy talks in metaphors constantly.. but during live performances and interviews he gives, let's say, clues to where you should concentrate while listening to their music.. if you pay attention to certain songs, every instrument has a role, besides musically, and those instruments (including vocals, inserts, loops, beats..) represent layers to a story which is told by a song, group of songs or an album..

I think you have quite a glorified image of our dear Matt. He does in no way constantly talk in metaphors.

actually I'm one of those people that critisises their bad moves and dislikes their fans for bringing them to the hights for the wrong reasons.. believe me, cause I really like to analyse songs, that their lyrics, even though really simple, are hard to break.. those stories who I have previously mentioned are created by both the lyrics and the music..and, by the way, their lyrics are political, now a bit more, but sometimes scenarios, political ones, are being used to describe the power, growing from minor spots of politicality to the grandeur of beyond the human life (of course to describe our inability to adapt to being powerless)..and plus for bellamy talking in metaphors - he is one strange man, so don't believe a man who says that even he doesn't know his intentions, cause he does (impersonation).. and when I mentioned the verb to talk I meant his lyrics + his occasional references during interviews..

by observation I came to the conclusion that many muse fans hail muses music as best ever and so on.. this would be ok if I had any proof that these people have any idea what the music represents and what it is trying to say, I mean muse do compose a bit more serious and complex music..what do you think..

Some people say it just to show their excitement over how much they like the song that's all.

Not for the most part.

In any case you really seem to be stuck upon your opinion that people can't enjoy Muse's music for what it is. To them. I mean, I headbang to Survival's riff but I don't really care what Matt is singing. It just sounds beefy (and that the lyrics are mehh). Can I care about it? Yes, yes I can. But do I want to care about it? Nope, not really. Of course, there are exceptions, especially the more emotional songs. You can feel free to find depth and meaning into what they do, but let's admit it - it's a subjective matter.

And of course I might getting you wrong because, language thing. :p

Different people enjoy music differently. You can't tell people how to listen to Muse's music, but if you choose to believe Matt is going to bother leaving clues in interviews then good for you. I'll have fun over here jamming to Panic Station without dissecting every part of the song.

I don't think Muse have been serious about their music for a few years now bar one or two songs

They're definitely serious about their music. But yeah, hardly any of their songs from the past 2 albums have been particularly serious. Only ones I'd pick out that are genuinely serious are Chris' tracks, Animals and MK. Follow Me and Explorers' lyrics are about serious-ish subjects I guess but musically they're not

Is this another conspiracy theory topic?

And music that's just meant to be fun can still be taken seriously; they're not mutually exclusive.

They're not, like, Tenacious D, for piss sake.

Hey, I can still take Tenacious D seriously :phu: The idea of slicing a dragon's cockles with a long and shiny blade evokes many metaphors and plausible meanings to me.

I love their music but their lyrics are usually average to bad. (few exceptions being Hoodoo, MotP etc)

most of Muse's lyrics are either shadowy thoughts about something even Matt can't describe properly, or just straightforward cheese. it really isn't the lyrics I listen to Muse for.

it's fun to read comments on Muse yt videos trying to interpret the lyrics somehow:LOL:

Hey, I can still take Tenacious D seriously :phu: The idea of slicing a dragon's cockles with a long and shiny blade evokes many metaphors and plausible meanings to me.

I think 39 could be the deepest and most meaningful song ever created actually.

Archived