Playing Unsustainable

arj225

Hmm.. I found it really easy to do all the movements of the pedal with the way I did it, click and drag. I found the MIDI editor a bit confusing and wasn't really sure what to do haha

I just used Dom's midi file and set the appropriate cc to control the whammy in GR

Well I gave a full cover a shot. I think today was the first time I didn't like my Les Paul because Neck Scrapes just don't work at all.

bGH54fqNthI

Not unhappy with the results.. could still improve for sure though

nice i thought that was great, the nut is whats effecting the scratches at the top most les pauls sounds pretty flat and un harmonic when you do that but still ace.

what midi file you use for that one?

nice i thought that was great, the nut is whats effecting the scratches at the top most les pauls sounds pretty flat and un harmonic when you do that but still ace.

what midi file you use for that one?

Cheers, appreciate it. Ya, the les paul just doesn't work well, head stock angle kills the vibration, plus 3 tuners per side changes all the string lengths compared to a tele/strat headstock. At least I am building a Mattocaster right now, so I will no longer have that problem in a couple months. In the video I am actually strumming open string at first fret, during the slower less dub step part (I don't know how to explain it ha), it sounds half decent, but I really didn't like how it sounded during the beginning/end parts of the song.

As for the MIDI, I did it all myself as I was having issues getting Doms to work at all. I did all control automation of Guitar Rig with Reaper.

Anyone know any good fan shot videos of Unsustainable where you can see what Matt's playing well? 3 bits I wanna check on

Making of DVD, Live in Japan are both pretty good resources to see a lot of parts. Hard one to get good fan video fo because matt spends a lot of time kind of facing away, looking at dom/chris while they play, it isn't very crowd engaging.

Cheers, appreciate it. Ya, the les paul just doesn't work well, head stock angle kills the vibration, plus 3 tuners per side changes all the string lengths compared to a tele/strat headstock. At least I am building a Mattocaster right now, so I will no longer have that problem in a couple months. In the video I am actually strumming open string at first fret, during the slower less dub step part (I don't know how to explain it ha), it sounds half decent, but I really didn't like how it sounded during the beginning/end parts of the song.

As for the MIDI, I did it all myself as I was having issues getting Doms to work at all. I did all control automation of Guitar Rig with Reaper.

Making of DVD, Live in Japan are both pretty good resources to see a lot of parts. Hard one to get good fan video fo because matt spends a lot of time kind of facing away, looking at dom/chris while they play, it isn't very crowd engaging.

I used to use making of but he plays it a fair bit different live. Changing my file to be more like the live one now. It's only little things I wanna get clear on. Like on the low notes is it open A or 5th on E string. And the 3 WOO WOO WOO bits on the main drop, I play 14-15 on B and e strings at the moment but wondering what he does. Will scavenge more videos

So does that actually send out midi to a whammy pedal or just to the pitchshifter in GR?

So does that actually send out midi to a whammy pedal or just to the pitchshifter in GR?

It just sends it to Guitar Rig Pitch Shifter, as I do not currently own a whammy pedal. Living with other people makes it hard to justify buying lots of gear to use with amps and such. I have a Marshall and a couple floor pedals (fuzz factory, wah, phaser, delay), but I never really use them because tube amps just don't don't great at low volume. I just model everything in guitar rig and can rock out any time I want and not bother anyone!

The end functionality of what I do is the exact same as Dom, who sends signals to a physical pedal, just my pedal is digital.

• 2 weeks later...

I just finished to record my band cover of unsustainable , here's a little extract :

I used your midi file, dominic, and it's awesome . There will be a full video on YT, on the channel " PinkEgoBand " it's my virtual band. Of course I will mention you in the description :D

I just finished to record my band cover of unsustainable , here's a little extract :

I used your midi file, dominic, and it's awesome . There will be a full video on YT, on the channel " PinkEgoBand " it's my virtual band. Of course I will mention you in the description :D

Holy shit someone else used my file and it didn't sound glitchy as shit. What's everyone else doing different then?

I tweeted my soundcloud track of the assignment I did where I recorded a 2 minute cover of Unsustainable. Uni mate replied saying that he'd love to hear me develop that riff and it'd make a sick metal rap track

hehe

Although to be honest it probably would, GONNA WHAMMY EVERYTHING

• 4 weeks later...
I don't know why, maybe it's my guitars intonation, but when I'm on -1oct and on the 3rd fret it's never quite in tune. Really annoying

Intonation will have very little effect on the lower frets, it more as you go up the neck. Possibly nut is slotted too high, or a high fret?

Does the note play a little sharp?

• 1 month later...
I used to use making of but he plays it a fair bit different live. Changing my file to be more like the live one now. It's only little things I wanna get clear on. Like on the low notes is it open A or 5th on E string. And the 3 WOO WOO WOO bits on the main drop, I play 14-15 on B and e strings at the moment but wondering what he does. Will scavenge more videos

Well the woo woo woo bit live is done by striking the strings behind the nut but I'm not sure how he gets it to sound like that I think it sweeps up the octave fairly quick

• 5 months later...

Yaaas, I got it working. Had to change the MIDI output channel to 11. Not sure yet if it all works properly on a Whammy 4 without editing anything (Dominic wrote it for a Whammy 5 didn't he?)

In the 8 years I've been playing this is the first time I've done and MIDI stuff so I'm slightly clueless :LOL:

Yaaas, I got it working. Had to change the MIDI output channel to 11. Not sure yet if it all works properly on a Whammy 4 without editing anything (Dominic wrote it for a Whammy 5 didn't he?)

In the 8 years I've been playing this is the first time I've done and MIDI stuff so I'm slightly clueless :LOL:

That one should work for the Whammy IV, I have files for both the 4 and 5.

And I'm still not that great with MIDI either to be honest :LOL: