Playing Unsustainable

arj225

Still got to do an actual cover of it but had to do some quick uni assignment thing. 2 minutes, and had to include a variety of stuff so since I spent so much time working on this piece of MIDI shit figured I may as well do Unsustainable. A radio edit of sorts

[soundcloud]https://soundcloud.com/dickmovedom/exercise-e[/soundcloud]

Now with added Skrillex

dom it's time we swap instruments, you're clearly better than me

love matt xo

[soundcloud]

[/soundcloud]

Audio for my full cover of unsustainable. I did all the guitar tracks, my brother played all the orchestral stuff with his synth. Video coming soon when I have time to edit.

Edit: Should've listened to it before I uploaded. Just noticed how loud the first synth track is lol. Have to lower that at some point and reupload. Oh well for now.

Edited by Citizen_Eraser

2:05 sounds like the sound I hear when I get bombed in galaga.

Yeah idk what that is. Could never avoid it sounding like that. It's not as noticeable through an amp but when recorded direct input it sounds shitty. Guess if I played that note in a diff spot itd sound fine but its really high pitched when they play it live and playing a 9 on G doesn't sound right either.

Edited by Citizen_Eraser

• 1 month later...
RIP Dominic.

18th June 1994 - 23rd July 2013

Trying to get the fucking MIDI right and cocking it up

So I had to create my own MIDI as your file when loaded into Reaper doesn't seem to be helpful even as a starting point. Made a little progress so far.

With your MIDI, do you change the program on the Whammy? For parts like the first Slide up and down I guess you could call it, I found the -1 Octave setting to sound best with the tab you have on your youtube video. Can't seem to get something that sounds right for other parts with the same setting.

I'm unable to see that data from your MIDI file in Reaper

Still have problem with Reaper :(

My whammy ( IV ) doesn't receive any information...Anyone can help me please ?

I just started messing with it tonight. Doms MIDI file didn't seem to be useful at all to me in Reaper. I was able to setup Reaper with Guitar Rig, and have starting working on a MIDI patch that'll work with that.

Edited by sidious911

So I had to create my own MIDI as your file when loaded into Reaper doesn't seem to be helpful even as a starting point. Made a little progress so far.

With your MIDI, do you change the program on the Whammy? For parts like the first Slide up and down I guess you could call it, I found the -1 Octave setting to sound best with the tab you have on your youtube video. Can't seem to get something that sounds right for other parts with the same setting.

I'm unable to see that data from your MIDI file in Reaper

When you load up my file are you able in Reaper to view expression (cc11 I think?) and program changes? Expression will show the treadle position and program changes determine what mode the whammy is in

And yes the first slide is -1, then it goes to -2 before going +2 etc

Sent from Fabri is a nob

When you load up my file are you able in Reaper to view expression (cc11 I think?) and program changes? Expression will show the treadle position and program changes determine what mode the whammy is in

And yes the first slide is -1, then it goes to -2 before going +2 etc

Sent from Fabri is a nob

At work right now, When I get home I will post a screen shot. Pretty much I loaded your MIDI file in, and I only see what looks like a bar graph of the instructions. I cannot see any values for the position of the whammy. Right after the first slide, I noticed a little short bar graph piece and I wasn't sure what it was, That must be the signal to change the program on the pedal.

Now this will get interesting for me, because Reaper doesn't have the ability to change the program of the whammy in Guitar Rig 5. I might have to make a rack with multiple Whammys all on different programs, and use each of them as needed... hmm

At work right now, When I get home I will post a screen shot. Pretty much I loaded your MIDI file in, and I only see what looks like a bar graph of the instructions. I cannot see any values for the position of the whammy. Right after the first slide, I noticed a little short bar graph piece and I wasn't sure what it was, That must be the signal to change the program on the pedal.

Now this will get interesting for me, because Reaper doesn't have the ability to change the program of the whammy in Guitar Rig 5. I might have to make a rack with multiple Whammys all on different programs, and use each of them as needed... hmm

That's what I did and it works, to view midi values double click the midi track and click view> Mode: Event list. By the way when I had reaper controlling guitar rig there was a noticeable delay when it changed patches, the way I got round this was running two instances of guitar rig on two separate tracks; one with guitar rig being midi controlled with patches with just the whammy on and another instance with my usual effects on. The whammy instance had it's audio routed into the second track.

That's what I did and it works, to view midi values double click the midi track and click view> Mode: Event list. By the way when I had reaper controlling guitar rig there was a noticeable delay when it changed patches, the way I got round this was running two instances of guitar rig on two separate tracks; one with guitar rig being midi controlled with patches with just the whammy on and another instance with my usual effects on. The whammy instance had it's audio routed into the second track.

If that is what you did, any chance you could send me the file? This is pain staking to do haha

So I've done all the way up to the middle section where Matt sings, my god was that painful, will do the rest tomorrow.

8KYWKbC.png

I recorded it quick playing along with the MIDI tracks, Sound Cloud rejected my upload though... Guess that means I didn't totally butcher it haha.

Edit: got it on youtube. Pretty happy with turn out this far from working on it last night. The only part I need to figure out more is the Neck scrape. I am playing on a Les paul, so the neck scrape doesn't work too well, so i just hit the top 3 strings open and let it go, not the greatest. Also did it with +1 octave which I am thinking of trying on different octave settings.

eC0EEEOgcbc

If anyone knows how to avoid this sound cloud crap, let me know!

Edited by Tom!

You really have done that the long way round, when I get a sec I'll send you my file.

Would love to see an easier way. I couldn't find away to send any signals to the Whammy effect in Guitar Rig to change the program of the effect. I was going to do it through 4 different channels so I could be more organized with the effects, and just route them one after the other, but it created a big input lag.

If you know how to change the program of the pedal in guitar rig, I'm listening!

Guitar Rig will accept PC changes so just have five different patches with the whammy set to a different setting in each and you're away really.

I can't really upload my project as I'd need to upload my GR patches also, below is a screenshot of my Reaper and GuitarRig

K0lw7vt.png

GG2atqS.png

Edited by Tom!

Guitar Rig will accept PC changes so just have five different patches with the whammy set to a different setting in each and you're away really.

I can't really upload my project as I'd need to upload my GR patches also, below is a screenshot of my Reaper and GuitarRig

K0lw7vt.png

GG2atqS.png

I will have to give that a shot and see. Are you controlling the Whammy parameters differently than I am as well? Very new to Reaper, or any form of audio software in general, and there is a lot to digest in there at once and know what does what haha.

I'm controlling the whammy treadle using midi also which it doesn't look like you're doing.

Hmm.. I found it really easy to do all the movements of the pedal with the way I did it, click and drag. I found the MIDI editor a bit confusing and wasn't really sure what to do haha