Gifts inspired by Muse

Caliandra

As a few of you know, I will be attending the Muse concert at the Toyota Center in Houston. My husband and I agreed that we would stay after and try to meet them, since our VIP tickets don't include meeting the band.

But I thought it would be really cool to make custom bracelets for them, since I make jewelry for a living. And what better to make for them than Chainmaille?

So, here is the one I created for Chris.

I did a little research to find out what the colors the band members liked were.. And had a little luck with Dominic and Matt..

but not with Chris.

So I decided to make something that would look good with his usual color scheme.

382344_10151338540154001_182314138_n.jpg

This is Chris' gift. What do you think?

• 2 weeks later...

Update!

I waited at the end of the concert to meet the guys. Apparently the folks who were there before us got there about 5-10 minutes after the show and had been there for a while before we got there, about 30 minutes after the show. We waited, and the roadies and crew were rude, telling us all that the band had left hours ago, that we were wasting our time. Some of them gave nasty looks and rolled their eyes.

We were determined, there were 21 of us at first. Eventually it got down to 17, 6 or 7 of which had traveled from Mexico to see them perform!

They were incredibly nice.

About 1 in the morning another fellow comes out. A big, buff Australian. He was extremely polite and just a gentleman when he said, "Guys, the band really has been gone for hours. You don't have to believe me, but please take care of yourselves and each other here in the city. Be careful."

I asked him if he was close to the band. I'm not sure EXACTLY what he said, but it was along the lines of, "Yes, I'm their security and *tool manager. I even have all of these stage passes."

He showed us a bundle of what looked to be passes for the crew to get in. I decided we had waited in the cold long enough, and with how sincere the fellow was, I would take the risk. I asked him if he minded giving the guys the bracelets I had made for them, with the note cards attached to them. He said he would give them to the guys! I really hope he did.. but I won't know unless they decide to post about the gifts O_O Which is kind of weird to hope for, but I'd like to know if they got them!!!

Anyway..

I took a chance. I should have gotten the gentleman's name, he was really polite and didn't bat an eye at the handful of devoted fans who waited to meet Muse. :)

These are gorgeous!

They may not post about the bracelets, but keep an eye out for photos from now on; many of the jewelry they are wearing in gigs comes from fan gifts, maybe they'll wear your bracelets for the next one :)

Oh that would be so awesome! I can't help but want to spend my time STARING at Muse photos from this tour now. ahhaha. :D I hope they do wear them, that would make my day!

:D

I do hope the fellow who took them really did hand them to the guys. That would be fantastic. :D

• 1 month later...

Those bracelets are so pretty! :D They're really cool. I wish I could make stuff like that!

Not knowing is the worst, huh? :( But as long as it was band security and not venue security, I'm pretty sure the guys must have got them! I gave something to venue security one time, and the guys never got it (I was so upset!), but I've had good experiences interacting with the folks who actually work for Muse.

Update!

I waited at the end of the concert to meet the guys. Apparently the folks who were there before us got there about 5-10 minutes after the show and had been there for a while before we got there, about 30 minutes after the show. We waited, and the roadies and crew were rude, telling us all that the band had left hours ago, that we were wasting our time. Some of them gave nasty looks and rolled their eyes.

We were determined, there were 21 of us at first. Eventually it got down to 17, 6 or 7 of which had traveled from Mexico to see them perform!

They were incredibly nice.

About 1 in the morning another fellow comes out. A big, buff Australian. He was extremely polite and just a gentleman when he said, "Guys, the band really has been gone for hours. You don't have to believe me, but please take care of yourselves and each other here in the city. Be careful."

I asked him if he was close to the band. I'm not sure EXACTLY what he said, but it was along the lines of, "Yes, I'm their security and *tool manager. I even have all of these stage passes."

He showed us a bundle of what looked to be passes for the crew to get in. I decided we had waited in the cold long enough, and with how sincere the fellow was, I would take the risk. I asked him if he minded giving the guys the bracelets I had made for them, with the note cards attached to them. He said he would give them to the guys! I really hope he did.. but I won't know unless they decide to post about the gifts O_O Which is kind of weird to hope for, but I'd like to know if they got them!!!

Anyway..

I took a chance. I should have gotten the gentleman's name, he was really polite and didn't bat an eye at the handful of devoted fans who waited to meet Muse. :)

it might've been Liam but I don't know for certain what he looks like. if only you ran into Tom Kirk, i asked him to pass my stupid gift along to Muse. :chuckle:

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
Those bracelets are so pretty! :D They're really cool. I wish I could make stuff like that!

Not knowing is the worst, huh? :( But as long as it was band security and not venue security, I'm pretty sure the guys must have got them! I gave something to venue security one time, and the guys never got it (I was so upset!), but I've had good experiences interacting with the folks who actually work for Muse.

Oh my goodness, yes it is the worst! I haven't been on the forums much, busy working at my business for the holidays. I hope this year is my "Big break." :LOL:

My husband and I saw the guy in the Japan/Tokyo video of them live, he was following Matt while Matt greeted the crowd. I'm pretty sure he's Band security. ^_^

it might've been Liam but I don't know for certain what he looks like. if only you ran into Tom Kirk, i asked him to pass my stupid gift along to Muse. :chuckle:

I'll try to get a screen shot of him. lol. I remember what he looks like. :D

Hi Caliandra. :) I'm the fellow Muser who posted on your Facebook wall earlier today. I thought I would come out of the woodwork to say hello to you on here too. My name's Jo. Aw, I hope you get your 'big break' this year too. As I said on Facebook, your creations are stunning. I would love a career in beading. It takes me so long to make even one piece though and then I don't like to give it away as it took me so long and I feel so attached! :p I'm really interested in giving chainmaille a go. How did you get started? I hope you don't mind me asking. Take care. :)

• 3 months later...
Hi Caliandra. :) I'm the fellow Muser who posted on your Facebook wall earlier today. I thought I would come out of the woodwork to say hello to you on here too. My name's Jo. Aw, I hope you get your 'big break' this year too. As I said on Facebook, your creations are stunning. I would love a career in beading. It takes me so long to make even one piece though and then I don't like to give it away as it took me so long and I feel so attached! :p I'm really interested in giving chainmaille a go. How did you get started? I hope you don't mind me asking. Take care. :)

How did I get started in general, or in Chainmaille? hehe.

Sorry for the delayed response, I rarely hop on to the forums, and when I do it's usually for a specific reason. Today was kind of a random "I should go say hi and see what's going on" moment. It's raining and dreary.. lol

I actually just got featured on a blog last week, for the first time. I had to write up a little bit about how I got started and answer questions.. It was weird.

http://handmadeartists.com/blog/featured-artist-bead-muse

But awesome to find out I got randomly featured. ^_^

Chainmaille isn't hard, but it takes dedication and a sense of humor. It does take time and money to learn, but once you get some practice and start working on learning new weaves, even just by making segments, you can really get a feel for if the hobby is for you or not. I'm kind of failing at making a business out of it, but I keep plugging along anyway. :LOL: I love creating, it's the photographing, editing, marketing, advertising, etc that is the hardest part!

There's some great resources online for learning, and great groups on Facebook and forums online with artists that are always open to help. :)

Archived