Single Choices for T2L

Saint Rockwell

Start with Madness, for the world to see that Muse can do pop brilliantly as well, and then Supremacy, to show those who had mixed thoughts on Madness that they have not faltered. Introduce the dubstep element in their album with Follow Me next, and then top it off with Panic Station cause it's awesome.

Also with Unsustainable and Survival released as promo singles.

It's absurd to me that Panic Station hasn't been a single yet. That's hardly a new sentiment, it's confusing the whole rest of the board too, but still. I can see why they would pick Follow Me due to its aesthetic, and why Panic Station could be seen as a riskier alternative, but Panic Station is just plain better.

Follow Me looks like an obvious choice on the surface because it sounds like everything else on the radio, but Panic Station is almost universally considered one of the best songs on the album against all odds and manages to both stand out and be catchy.

I'm fine with leading with Madness and Supremacy popping up down the line, but Panic Station should have been out there early.

Looking back i think Madness was a rather good choice as the first single, its really catchy and appeals to the more causal adiance, but it should have been released later.

I can also see why they used Follow Me as a single as it is a song that would appeal to todays "music" fans, but shamefully i have not heard it making too much off a impact yet in the charts (i might be wrong).

As soon as i heard Supremacy would be a single i was very happy to hear that they were using a more rocky single, Muse should not forget that a large ammount of there fans still want them to make a effort with there more heavy songs (there are probably some people on the fence after The Resistance and this may bring them back) Also it makes me worry a bit less about Supremacy being ditched next tour.

Order i think the singles should have been released

Survival (Olympics obviously) - Original video by Muse, as well as the Olympic one could have helped

Unsustainable (About the end of August) - I think this could have been huge

Supremacy (A little after Skyfall was in cinema's) - I feel the timing would have helped a bit :p

Madness (Around Start of US Tour to promote the shows)

Panic Station (Summer 2013 Hit & leave the singles on a positive note) - I am shocked it is not a single yet, probs the next one.

Unustainable released as it was, then Survival as it was, followed by Supremacy to cash in on the Skyfall hype and maybe regain some fans of the "non-dubstep Muse". Then Follow Me to take the chance before dubstep goes completely out of style.

Then Madness and Panic Station, order not that important.

Madness

Supremacy

Follow Me

Panic Station

Madness has been very successful for Muse so I see no reason to not release it as a lead single.

At this point in their career most songs on T2L would be successful first singles though. Some more than others, and I do believe that there are songs that would do better than Madness.

At this point in their career most songs on T2L would be successful first singles though. Some more than others, and I do believe that there are songs that would do better than Madness.

And I don't. Madness has received praise by critics and other musicians which has helped it become successful. It's also quite radio friendly.

Big Freeze and Save Me could easily have been singles. But that kind of variety in singles wouldn't lead anywhere good. They'd end up having quite a scattered fanbase.

They obviously made the right decision with Madness, so pretty hard to argue that point.

It was pretty hugely fucking successful, at least at Alternative radio.

I still don't understand people with Survival... even just as an Olympic song, it was just negative publicity at best.

It was universally, critically panned, even mocked, and didn't do much positive for the band's reputation... I don't see how making it a video and pushing it further as a single would have worked at all.

Likewise, songs like Animals... I just don't see it having the impact at radio.

I still think Follow Me could have opened up some more avenues as far as radio play, but I guess we'll never know.

It's absurd to me that Panic Station hasn't been a single yet. That's hardly a new sentiment, it's confusing the whole rest of the board too, but still. I can see why they would pick Follow Me due to its aesthetic, and why Panic Station could be seen as a riskier alternative, but Panic Station is just plain better.

They played Panic Station on the radio today with an intro from Matt and Dom and they said "Panic Station is our newest single" and they went on to describe it. So I guess it's official now?

I still think Follow Me could have opened up some more avenues as far as radio play, but I guess we'll never know.

We do know. It bombed.

In fact, every Muse single this album has completely bombed in Ireland. Not a single air-play, and I listen to the radio a lot.

And I don't. Madness has received praise by critics and other musicians which has helped it become successful. It's also quite radio friendly.

I'm not saying it wasn't successful as a single though, so what's your point?

Ballads like Save Me are generally consistent for bands. Look at Coldplay and Keane.
Are you really comparing Save Me to songs like Somewhere Only You Know and Yellow?

Archived