Cracking Mirror?

Jaicen

Musecasters, I hit you up on Facebook and on your Musecasters at gmail account but I never heard back so I assumed you didn't want to get back to me.

sorry. i don't know yer name and most of my friend requests on Facebook are mad stalker muse n00bs, but i'll add you once i've activated it again. i'll have a look for your email in the spam folder if you did send it :D

:D Cracked it! :rolleyes:

So whilst I was whiling away the hours at work (13.5 of them to be exact), I was furiously working out how to make this damn plastic do what I wanted it to do.

I figured out a technique to produce cracks in more or less the exact pattern I wanted and it works perfectly.What's more, it's repeatable!

To prove the concept, I wanted to make a small cavity cover (6x4" or therabouts) featuring the two sets of cracks perpendicular to each other. You can see what I was looking for in this picture, (the area above the bridge pickup).

http://www.musewiki.org/images/MansonLazer.jpg

As you can see, it works very neatly:

4563AB43-EEAB-45CF-B23A-FD3F9FF8F13E-2801-000002B7D4FC14B4.jpg

To be honest mate, with the material I have it doesn't seem to make a difference.

These are the two that I did this morning as proof of concept. As you can see, the results are exactly the same, but are what I consider to be repeatable. I can basically make it crack in the pattern that I want.

36587C11-BCA0-47A3-8570-3D5AB4F670F5-3569-000003B408C58E53.jpg

Following my experiments this morning, it's clear that the larger the work-piece is, the better the cracking is. Smaller pieces tend to snap quite cleanly without the random spiderweb effect that I like. As you can see, the two slightly larger pieces have a much nicer pattern of cracks.

Below is the jig that I've been using for my experiments. As you can see, it's basically a length of MDF around 1"x5" with a sharpened corner at one end, and the other heavily rounded off. I secured the acrylic in the vice with the face against the acrylic. You have to apply steady, even pressure to the acrylic. If you just whack it, or bend it with more and more pressure, it will just snap like the top of the piece on the left of the three above.

When you bend the acrylic against the jig, it applies uneven pressure along the length of the piece. When it cracks, it will crack somewhere along the rounded off portion and the cracks will fan outwards toward the sharp end.. This is actually the opposite of how I expected it to work!

F9696C01-C980-41CA-A5A0-B379484BE0CD-3569-000003B4167742D7.jpg

To be honest mate, with the material I have it doesn't seem to make a difference.

These are the two that I did this morning as proof of concept. As you can see, the results are exactly the same, but are what I consider to be repeatable. I can basically make it crack in the pattern that I want.

36587C11-BCA0-47A3-8570-3D5AB4F670F5-3569-000003B408C58E53.jpg

Following my experiments this morning, it's clear that the larger the work-piece is, the better the cracking is. Smaller pieces tend to snap quite cleanly without the random spiderweb effect that I like.

lookin good! :)

Archived