2013.04.21 - Nassau Coliseum, Uniondale, NY, US

james90

Muse shouldn't be playing arenas in america. Apparently most of them massive sections of the arena were cut off, only sort of 5000 people actually attend most, apparently.

they sold out two nights at MSG :LOL: and that's like why this was cancelled, this gig is only about 20 miles from MSG, 30 miles from IZOD, 40 miles from mohegan sun, etc.

4 shows in the NYC area seemed like a little bit much, especially in the same week. Biting off more than they can chew, I'd say. They should've moved the Uniondale show to the fall tour. Give it a little more time to sell, and not have it compete with the other NYC shows in better venues/locations.

Muse really aren't big enough to play arenas in the US, except in the bigger cities. But they are too big to play theaters and small arenas. I respect them for booking arenas, that way as many people that want to see them can get the chance.

Really haven't heard many attendance numbers yet. L.A. had 43,000 people over 3 shows, so that's pretty good. Portland had 6,800 people, so that's not so good. I'm going to Columbus next week, so I'm curious to see how full it will be. In 2010, at the same venue in Columbus, they had 8,000 people in there. A large section of the upper bowl was curtained off. I saw Kings of Leon there in 2009, and they did the same thing.

I'd expect them to have roughly the same people in Columbus this time, maybe a little bit more. Just 1 week!

You shouldn't be making statements that are based of "apparent facts" which are false. The only arena show of the 20+ I have gone to in the states that had less than 10,000 people was in Sacramento.

Portland this tour was very low attendance (<7K, as has already been stated... But LA was just under 15K people all 3 nights). Popularity in NYC is probably comparable to SoCal, but there is an undeniable oversaturation of Muse shows in that area this tour.

Muse management/promoters aren't letting Billboard boxscore report on very much this tour though, so there's no other figures.

I have GA for this and am going solo (well not really...I'll be with you fine people). And I want rail...no question! :)

See you there!

Melody: Depending on which part of the Bronx, I may be able to pick you up. Are you doing GA? PM me.

Oh thank you! That is kind of you but now that it's cancelled I'm trying to figure out how to get to the NJ gig. I saw that I would have to travel by bus and I really don't want to.

I don't think it's acceptable to cancel a show without very good reason. It's not just the cost of the ticket that fans have incurred.

If over-saturation of gigs in the area is the reason, that should have been considered before booking them all and announcing them all.

Saying Muse isn't big enough to play arenas in the US is beyond ridiculous. They sell out or nearly sell out every show. No matter how big an artist or band is here, only few completely sell out arenas except in the few major market cities. Pre-Resistance, Muse could get away with playing usually sold-out mid-size venues, but even if they don't quite fill the arena in every single city, the demand to see them is far too high for them to play anything smaller.

Here's 2010's numbers, just as a reference point.

32,031 - Los Angeles (2 shows)

16,284 - Chicago

15,818 - Montreal

15,805 - San Francisco (Oakland)

15,537 - Toronto

15,380 - Philadelphia

14,770 - Boston

13,873 - Seattle

13,467 - Quebec City

12,505 - Newark

12,070 - Detroit (Auburn Hills)

11,267 - Atlanta (Duluth)

11,154 - Las Vegas

10,072 - Salt Lake City (West Valley City)

9,877 - Phoenix

9,836 - Fort Worth

9,167 - Portland

8,876 - Edmonton

8,462 - Baltimore

7,833 - Columbus

7,794 - Minneapolis

7,721 - Nashville

7,648 - Calgary

7,500 - Fairfax

7,099 - Cincinnati

5,838 - Milwaukee

4,915 - Albuquerque (Rio Rancho)

Take Columbus, for example. We have 2 arenas that hold 15,000+ people, one of them being the Schottenstein Center that Muse played in 2010 and 2013 (and in 2000 opening for the Chili Peppers). The next tier down is a 5,000 capacity amphitheater. Most bands at Muse's level do play at the amphitheater, figuring it's better to sell out a small venue than to half fill a large venue. But Muse are played to 8,000 people instead of 5,000. Who knows what the right thing to do is. All I know is that some of these mediocre numbers in secondary US markets did not discourage them from returning in 2013, which is good for me!

I emailed the presale company by the way. We'll get refund emails once the promoter emails them to tell them it is officially canceled. Hurry up Muse!

Thanks!

Wish they'd overbook MY area. I can't imagine having so many gigs to choose from so close to home...

Yeah, I'm keeping perspective... I'll still see them 3 times in one week, which is ridiculous.

Oh thank you! That is kind of you but now that it's cancelled I'm trying to figure out how to get to the NJ gig.

Unfortunately, I don't go near the Bronx to get to NJ, I take the Tappan Zee. :(

Such a shame, I already had a long Muse weekened planned for NY. I still have my ticket for the NJ show though, but no GA :-(.

What was the scheduling conflict with? Was it with other events at the Colisseum? I checked and apparently there's nothing it could have a conflict with.

It couldn't have fared worse than the recently posted Sacramento's attendance...

Biffy Clyro might have had some difficulty making it to the show, being at Coachella just the day prior, but canceling because your opening act can't make it seems more than just a bit absurd.

Archived