Here's a couple I've taken since being away. Cleared out a lot of shit from my Flickr, suddenly realised how much of my stuff tends to be black and white.

9651847137_ee4494a695_z.jpgRear View Mirror by Alex Porritt, on Flickr

12863376674_fe591bf225_z.jpgOwn Two Feet by Alex Porritt, on Flickr

13153731314_2e2517db7e_z.jpgStreet Violinist by Alex Porritt, on Flickr

14021557517_dc57707454_z.jpgSkelton by Alex Porritt, on Flickr

14331490236_0751615aa6_z.jpgDat Ass by Alex Porritt, on Flickr

12257452503_38f87636a3_z.jpgZorki 4 by Alex Porritt, on Flickr

I've been asked to shoot N's friends wedding! Eep. I've said yes, because I can't pass up that opportunity. But I want to make sure I do a really great job.

First thing, I only have a kit lens and a 50mm f.8. I want to hire some quality stuff. Suggestions?

Main concern is that I'm not really good friends with the bride, more like acquaintances. I'll need to go over everything with her - what sort of shots she wants, where everything will be etc. The groom doesn't give a fuck about any of this, so he's no help! Idk do I just start a convo with her on facebook?

I've been asked to shoot N's friends wedding! Eep. I've said yes, because I can't pass up that opportunity. But I want to make sure I do a really great job.

First thing, I only have a kit lens and a 50mm f.8. I want to hire some quality stuff. Suggestions?

Main concern is that I'm not really good friends with the bride, more like acquaintances. I'll need to go over everything with her - what sort of shots she wants, where everything will be etc. The groom doesn't give a fuck about any of this, so he's no help! Idk do I just start a convo with her on facebook?

Perhaps contact her on FB and let her know you'd like her opinion... and then agree on a time to meet up face to face. So before meeting up she has time to come up with ideas of her own and then you can discuss it together.

If you want to hire quality stuff, go for 2 full frame bodies and a 70-200 2.8 / 24-70; if you want, add a 16-35 if you like such wide angles.

As for talking the photos over, you should really discuss it in person. If they don't care, I wouldn't do it to be honest. Then they might as well hire a pro that has done it for a long time, and just runs this on auto-pilot. You will be less expensive (I assume), and they might invest a bit of their time in you as well. After all, you will be documenting their big day!

Go over a list like this one: http://www.realsimple.com/weddings/ceremony/must-have-wedding-photos-00000000000226/

Ask how visible you can be; for the 'ring' shot you must be very close, see about the position.

Good luck, your shots are good and I'm sure you can do it!

Ah I just ended up friending her on fb and striking up a conversation :chuckle: She likes natural, candid shots (my favourite! yay) and showed me where the ceremony will be. I talked to her about getting a timeline, rundown of what photos she wants, etc, closer to the date.

Ceremony is in the morning, with lunch-time reception. The ceremony is outside, with ocean views. So I'm hoping that it will be early enough that the sun will not be directly overhead. Reception is indoors, so we get to miss that harsh midday sun.

It's pretty exciting! I'm viewing this as a proper professional challenge, and I think I know enough about wedding photography now that I'll be confident on the day. Looking forward to getting all the lovely shots of shoes, rings, bride closeups etc. Probably most nervous about just keeping on top of everything throughout the day.

I have a feeling that I'll rent out a couple of lenses before the big day and see what I like best.

I have an external flash - not sure if I'll even need it! Its a morning wedding, lunchtime reception. But I'll practise with it (havne't used in years!) so I've got it if needed.

Ah man I hope I do well. I'm going to do up a contract so we're all on the same page.

I have an external flash - not sure if I'll even need it! Its a morning wedding, lunchtime reception. But I'll practise with it (havne't used in years!) so I've got it if needed.

Ah man I hope I do well. I'm going to do up a contract so we're all on the same page.

Will contract include model release? Aka to allow you to use images of them for promo stuff like website and net and stuffs?

My only advice would be get a list of portrait shots etc that are wanted and also practice beforehand oh and get to know the venue well so you can get some ideas.

Will contract include model release? Aka to allow you to use images of them for promo stuff like website and net and stuffs?

My only advice would be get a list of portrait shots etc that are wanted and also practice beforehand oh and get to know the venue well so you can get some ideas.

yep, thats included in it. Also spells out monetary agreement, what I'll provide them (ie, usb drive with 2-300 edited, finished photos - web-quality shots with watermark for facebook, print quality for personal use) and says print options can be arranged, but at their cost.

They're really casual about it, like 'whatever you do is fine' but yeah, people say that and then end up disappointed with a half-assed attempt. And since I want to make this like a proper THING I want to make sure I do it all right.

Bit crap though, I planned to spend a weekend up there around september or so to get a feel for the place, know where the ceremony etc is. But it's a 10 hour drive! wah.

I'll still do it, because I've never been there before, but I'm gonna have to take a day off work or something to work it in!

i was thinking about buying one of those fuji instamax cameras, but i'm not sure if i'll like how small the pictures turn out plus the film seems pretty expensive ?

what are y'alls thoughts on analog photography

I'd find it too much hassle even if I could afford a big camera. Most of my photography is paddling stuff anyway, so digital is far more convenient if I'm away from home for a week or two. Plus I'm unlikely to take striking enough pictures for the difference to have much effect.

Edited by Alec.

i was thinking about buying one of those fuji instamax cameras, but i'm not sure if i'll like how small the pictures turn out plus the film seems pretty expensive ?

what are y'alls thoughts on analog photography

i have one, they are fun for the occasion of shooting and giving the photo to the person afterwards.

However if i were to pick again I'd probably get the newly released instax printer

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fujifilm-Instax-Share-SP-1-Printer/dp/B00JUQ6IC4/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1403852622&sr=1-1&keywords=fujifilm+instax+printer

I shoot with a Fuji X series camera anyway so we're not really cheating when we're printing them from it :p

it's definitely not something you'd bring along all the time and use so if it's for advancing photography skills, i'd steer clear (it's hit and miss most of the time given you don't have the ability to focus properly or adjust any settings).

I got a lc-a instant back and I stopped using it so much because yeah it's cool but they're bloody expensive to run. I think if the film wasn't so pricey then I would be more inclined to have an instant camera.

I love the gradual softness in focus moving back from its face to its tail. Gorgeous. Also liked - nice shots.

I also agree about film photography - great fun, but too expensive for me to justify it really.

I'm curious to see some of your Japan shots in full colour, only because to me Japan is such a beautiful, colourful place full of nature and tranquillity. But this doesn't come across in the images because they're generally desaturated.

I do have some more colourful shots - I think I was mostly making pictures more like that towards the end of last year. I'll get some up again for you at some point if you like.

14217944238_fb2e5d1c21_c.jpg

Nice, reminds me of this picture of mine from a few years ago. I love this one.

RestingDragon_zps0c1d66c7.jpg

Some more pictures from the Spring. Sorry for PhotoBucket destroying the image quality. I need to get my Flickr sorted out again sometime.

YoshinoyamaYoshino9thApril2014_zps53c50998.jpg

ArashiyamaKy14D0to2ndApril2014_zps65a2d76d.jpg

14C0sakaCastle14C0saka3rdApril2014_zpsd67ce098.jpg

And to show that I do like colour in my photos occasionally, haha! I'll get some of the more colourful ones reuploaded some time anyway.

By14D0d14D0inUji1stJune2014_zpsbead8c2b.jpg

Here's the original for people who want to understand my editing process more, seeing as there's been some discussion about it before.

[spoiler=Awaits series of comments about preferring the original colour saturation]_DSC0189_zps80635e66.jpg

14C0sakaCastle14C0saka3rdApril2014_zpsd67ce098.jpg

that one's very cool, though I think I'd like it better completely greyscaled. :LOL: It has a really spooky kind of vibe.

I like greyscaled pictures if there's a lot of contrast, not so much when it's kind of murky. But I think we don't see eye-to-eye with colour at all, so I should leave it there :chuckle:

img_4758-2.jpg

i have a watermark now! :eek:

that one's very cool, though I think I'd like it better completely greyscaled. :LOL: It has a really spooky kind of vibe.

I like greyscaled pictures if there's a lot of contrast, not so much when it's kind of murky. But I think we don't see eye-to-eye with colour at all, so I should leave it there :chuckle:

I think I did consider going full greyscale on it, but it seemed to lose something somehow. Maybe to do with the contrast, which I suppose could be corrected itself, but I left it as it was in the end. I do like high contrast between light and dark too, but I don't like losing detail, so I end up compromising usually to keep the detail in the picture, haha! Anyway, I agree it looks kind of spooky actually - it was a great atmosphere when I was there though.

I'm pretty open minded with colour to be honest, as long as it's not really super over-saturated (I've done a couple of those before too though), but it depends on the picture, the mood, and who's taken it and so on too, I guess. When I'm putting together an edit of my pictures, I tend to go for a fairly mellow approach, but I love how dramatic some pictures can look when colour is used well. Here's that same castle in daytime from one of my earlier pictures, for example - it's actually one of my most striking! ;)

14C0sakaCastle14C0saka17thOctober2013_zps6d584605.jpg

I do give colour full rein when it's appropriate, I just like to draw it back in most of the time, and save it for special occasions, haha!

FushimiInariTaishaKy14D0to28thOctober2013_zpsd8832d86.jpg

I do give colour full rein when it's appropriate, I just like to draw it back in most of the time, and save it for special occasions, haha!

FushimiInariTaishaKy14D0to28thOctober2013_zpsd8832d86.jpg

now this, I love!

ah man, the more I look through my Cuba photos, the sadder I am to be back in my boring old routine. At the time it was pretty damn hard with language barriers and everything, but it only takes a few months for the rose-tinted glasses to take over :LOL: