oh snap. I wonder how 22mm works out for people. nice and wide-ish.

I built the DIY camera! :awesome:

9204398596_e496730b7f.jpg

Lomography Konstruktor by Deano88s, on Flickr

What a beauty! Could this page be any more contrasting in quality of cameras pictured :LOL:

let's see some pics! :happy:

oh snap. I wonder how 22mm works out for people. nice and wide-ish.

it isn't full frame so pretty much a 35mm equiv. I rock a 23mm on my Fuji X100s and it's a nice focal length to work with, not wide to be honest, though i'm used to 17mm on full frame kinda wide

I was all ready to do this July photo a day challenge then I fucking dropped my camera. On the lens, in its' hugely padded bag and it wasn't enough. The lens won't come out to zoom and makes various clicking noises, the camera is not under warranty anymore so when I go to get it fixed I'm expecting it to be a whopper :(

Decided to go for the Canon 50mm f1.8 prime lens and the Sigma AF 70-300mm APO lenses for the birthday. Realised I was owed money so can afford the Canon, and other photographer friends really rated the Sigma. Looking forward to the start of next month now haha.

what is flickr's max upload size now...? I tried to upload an unedited photo, 2.7mb or so, and it said it was too big :mad: why give me a terrabyte of space and then limit file size?

also i think i want to just shoot in b&w all the time. i always like my b&w shots the best. colour is distracting.

Hi guys, i have a question. I'm using a Nikkon 18-200 lens and is fantastic, they give me a lot of range, but the pictures aren't exactly crystal clear. I read with a fixed lens (50 mm or so) the images will have much more quality. ¿Is that true?

Edited by Finn.

what is flickr's max upload size now...? I tried to upload an unedited photo, 2.7mb or so, and it said it was too big :mad: why give me a terrabyte of space and then limit file size?

also i think i want to just shoot in b&w all the time. i always like my b&w shots the best. colour is distracting.

really? my last upload was pretty big. maybe they still have a monthly upload limit, not sure tho.

Hi guys, i have a question. I'm using a Nikkon 18-200 lens and is fantastic, they give me a lot of range, but the pictures aren't exactly crystal clear. I read with a fixed lens (50 mm or so) the images will have much more quality. ¿Is that true?

essentially I believe that's because the of the 18-200's f/stop, 3.5-5.6? meaning that at 18mm it's maximum aperture is 3.5 and 200 it's 5.6. lenses aren't designed to be their clearest at their widest aperture so at 18mm it'll be sharpest around f/8 and at 200mm at f/11 (roughly). whereas something like a 50mm 1.8 will be sharpest at f/2.8, allowing far more light in and more of that sexy bokeh. I'm not a fan of those one zoom fits all style lenses like the 18-200, you're just sacrificing too much in terms of quality/light in order to gain a wide and tele lens in one, which does neither effectively.

i'm sure there're people who can do a better job of explaining that with more experience, but that seems to be what i've gathered.

edit: new page, gotta start with a photo

9005289427_4810cc73ac_c.jpg

Missing out by SnipingForPacifists, on Flickr

Edited by adds

Wow, many thanks! Your explanation is fantastic, that's all i needed.

The 18-200 lens are very useful for some works, when you need to put the range and the quantity over the quality, but for other especific things (aka clear pictures) i think i will buy new gear, when i can afford it, of course. :LOL:

Wow, many thanks! Your explanation is fantastic, that's all i needed.

The 18-200 lens are very useful for some works, when you need to put the range and the quantity over the quality, but for other especific things (aka clear pictures) i think i will buy new gear, when i can afford it, of course. :LOL:

glad I could help. and yep, join the club. my next lens purchase will be an 85 1.8 for portraiture and 35 1.8 for my wider needs. now if only i had a job...

It was such a glary, sunny day that colour didn't really look very good. Shot the same scene on a colour setting and on a B&W one, the B&W captured what I wanted so much better! In colour, the bubble didn't seem to stand out at all & the lovely glowy light was lost in the mess of colour.

Though, looking at it on a computer, I need to bump the contrast down on my camera settings :LOL:

It was such a glary, sunny day that colour didn't really look very good. Shot the same scene on a colour setting and on a B&W one, the B&W captured what I wanted so much better! In colour, the bubble didn't seem to stand out at all & the lovely glowy light was lost in the mess of colour.

Though, looking at it on a computer, I need to bump the contrast down on my camera settings :LOL:

yeah i know the feels when the colours don't look right, i usually bin the damn thing than desaturate, i've just got so much association with desaturating the photo as a form of recovering from bad digital noise or colours that don't work right.

obviously the end of the day there are definitely some shots that work better b&w

aw really? I've been admiring a lot of elliott erwitt style photos lately and I'm all about dat B&W. I didn't desaturate or edit it in any way though, it was deliberately shot that way :phu:

i do have fun playing with the black and white settings on the x100s. Has a nice selection of b&w filters to choose from, and actually shooting with it makes the experience more genuine rather than lugging a huge dslr camera that you KNOW can take colour and intentionally making it shoot b&w.

i'm playing with multiple exposures atm with the x100s and it might be a case where b&w might help too

Oh and some combo breakers, shots with my x100s

Macro on steak

9252120046_acf4272ab4_b.jpg

Was hunting for giant Mr Darcy but failed and took a photo of swan

9243030004_c6a00daa38_b.jpg

A coupe a Ed's diner, camera was ninja enough to take it without them looking

9243038570_34c0dcf492_b.jpg

Lauren however is a bit aware of the camera

9243044032_7bf8a6b8d1_b.jpg

I've managed to acquire a tasty gordy strap wrist strap, really nice feels. All kinds of awesome leather

9257553414_43d8bbbbb5_c.jpg

Been using the x100s for over a week now and one thing I can definitely say is that it MAKES you want to take photos, it MAKES you want to go out and do something creative or inspiring. The portability helps a great deal in making it such a "pick up and go" camera and quality of the shots it delivers makes you want to bother shooting something.

There's the obvious limitations such as the fixed focal length and the cost but once you're over them, there's very little you can knock about it.

Edited by crazybobbles