Ideal solution is to get a full sensor body? ;)

lol, ideally :'(

funny about that, when i was on cropped i rocked 50mm all the time but when i moved to full frame i loved the 85mm more. i just prefer having that extra zoom so i can take shots that aren't so invasive, and if i go invasive i go all out with 17mm on full frame ;)

I do like that I can get a slightly closer range with the 50mm. good for gigs/festivals, being stuck at the barrier sometimes.

also, you've done it again bob! :eek: beautiful bokeh. can't wait for the rest of your pics :)

I think my next lens (after I score a dirt cheap 50mm, hopefully) will be a wide angle. recently saw some pics taken with a 10mm range and I oddly liked the distortion a lot but I probably can't afford any lens capable of that range.

lol, ideally :'(

I do like that I can get a slightly closer range with the 50mm. good for gigs/festivals, being stuck at the barrier sometimes.

also, you've done it again bob! :eek: beautiful bokeh. can't wait for the rest of your pics :)

I think my next lens (after I score a dirt cheap 50mm, hopefully) will be a wide angle. recently saw some pics taken with a 10mm range and I oddly liked the distortion a lot but I probably can't afford any lens capable of that range.

Well I mainly do gigs which is why it's useful. However now I rock pits only I just want to rely on my 24-70mm only. It's sad because I love primes.

Photos are already on Flickr, just aware gig photos are a bit dull even if its muse. The only creative part at a gig is framing the shot, the rest is down to gear. I only posted bokeh one since that has a slight creative override to achieve (playing around with the focus)

Thanks for everyone's replies to my Nikon or Canon questions. :happy:

Of course, now I'm going to throw a wrench in things, because I'm thinking about a Pentax. :LOL: The K30 looks pretty good, and it's pretty cheap as well. There's also the K-5IIs, which also looks pretty awesome, but is over twice as much as the K30. I'm thinking about Pentax, because I have a Pentax SLR, with a couple lenses, and the lenses should be able to be used on a newer Pentax DSLR (I believe Pentax lenses fit all Pentax cameras since the 1970's, or something like that). Basically, I could use the lenses I already have, add in a newer long-range lens, and probably be OK for what I want it for. Also, it's mostly vacation that I want the Pentax for, and it's weather-sealed and works in cold weather, and all that stuff.

So, does anyone have any experience with the K30? Compared to the K30, does the K-5IIs seem like it's worth the extra money? Is there a really good reason why I shouldn't buy Pentax at all?

Don't go Pentax because it'll cost you a lot. There's very few cheap lenses available which will make you stick to your current lenses which may not all work optimally with a DSLR, and on top of that there are very few second hand options. On the other hand, they give great photos. If autofocus is not a priority you can do it, but I would not advice you to go that route.

My mom has a Pentax K20 I think, and it takes nice shots, but it's not as versatile as my Canon 60D.

Photos are already on Flickr, just aware gig photos are a bit dull even if its muse. The only creative part at a gig is framing the shot, the rest is down to gear. I only posted bokeh one since that has a slight creative override to achieve (playing around with the focus)

hey Bob, were you attending the Emirates gig or shooting it for an assignment? I saw in your photo descriptions that you came to the venue late but it looks like you shot from the barrier for this: Muse - Emirates Stadium 25/05/13

Love that pic btw!

Well I mainly do gigs which is why it's useful. However now I rock pits only I just want to rely on my 24-70mm only. It's sad because I love primes.

I don't think I need to say that I've always loved your gig photos but DAMN those are some fun shots. The chris/harmonica/man on floor one is great.

Here are some photos I've taken from the last few months and would appreciate any criticism - framing, lighting, editing, whatnots -

some studio stuff!

8889584581_328e43bb6f.jpg

8783142066_8a3cae8f8d_z.jpg

and a shot from a short film I was doing the stills photography for...I can't remember if I've already posted this so apologies if I have

8435136028_8d17b590a8_z.jpg

I don't think I need to say that I've always loved your gig photos but DAMN those are some fun shots. The chris/harmonica/man on floor one is great.

Here are some photos I've taken from the last few months and would appreciate any criticism - framing, lighting, editing, whatnots -

some studio stuff!

8889584581_328e43bb6f.jpg

and a shot from a short film I was doing the stills photography for...I can't remember if I've already posted this so apologies if I have

8435136028_8d17b590a8_z.jpg

First one, love the composition and pose but for me the whites are starting to bleach out a tiny bit. Not sure if that's a good or bad thing.

The second is ace, wish all the hair was perfectly in focus though.

Oh Beast Bob, have you ever take any studio lighting courses in Brighton at all? I know there's a few photographers based round that way I'm tempted to do a few courses with them later down the line.

First one, love the composition and pose but for me the whites are starting to bleach out a tiny bit. Not sure if that's a good or bad thing.

The second is ace, wish all the hair was perfectly in focus though.

Oh Beast Bob, have you ever take any studio lighting courses in Brighton at all? I know there's a few photographers based round that way I'm tempted to do a few courses with them later down the line.

Mmm, I was having a bit of trouble with the white high socks and the back whites. TOO MUCH WHITE. And with the second shot, that wasn't the shot we were intending to go for but it actually came out really well. I just hadn't accounted for the length of her hair being so different from the original focal point! Silly. Thanks, I'm glad our photographers brains are all synched up and we notice the same things.

I have always wanted to do a studio lighting course at Create Studios (http://welovecreate.com/training) but I did a good lot of studio assisting stuff with them about a year and a half ago (assisting this guy, who is hands down one of the coolest people you will ever meet, and his work with lighting is amazing - http://welovecreate.com/portfolio/kenny-mccracken (scroll sideways on thie image to go through some of his stuff)) and I learnt a whole load from just helping out there, so I imagine if you actually went on one of their courses you'd leave with a lot of info!

Edited by Beast Love

Mmm, I was having a bit of trouble with the white high socks and the back whites. TOO MUCH WHITE. And with the second shot, that wasn't the shot we were intending to go for but it actually came out really well. I just hadn't accounted for the length of her hair being so different from the original focal point! Silly. Thanks, I'm glad our photographers brains are all synched up and we notice the same things.

I have always wanted to do a studio lighting course at Create Studios (http://welovecreate.com/training) but I did a good lot of studio assisting stuff with them about a year and a half ago (assisting this guy, who is hands down one of the coolest people you will ever meet, and his work with lighting is amazing - http://welovecreate.com/portfolio/kenny-mccracken (scroll sideways on thie image to go through some of his stuff)) and I learnt a whole load from just helping out there, so I imagine if you actually went on one of their courses you'd leave with a lot of info!

Haha also on second glance, that shadow created by the arm on the left of the shot on the dress is annoying me too. Yeah they look like good shots regardless but being anal about it that's what got me.

I was dabbling about going on a course with this dude (http://adambronkhorst.com/), I knew of him from when I did 365 and he's good.

I've also heard of welovecreate from when it was called Garage studios? Wasn't lomokev involved with them at one point? And maybe someone else but I can't think who it was.

But yeah I think popping to Brighton and doing a course with someone sounds like a great idea. Plus I want to try and purchase some basic studio lighting kit over time so it would be good if I actually learned how to use it. I've kind of reached that point where I need some proper tuition on certain things.

Kenny's style is very unique, a bit surreal for me, love the image near the end with the blue and yellow lights though.

Haha also on second glance, that shadow created by the arm on the left of the shot on the dress is annoying me too. Yeah they look like good shots regardless but being anal about it that's what got me.

I was dabbling about going on a course with this dude (http://adambronkhorst.com/), I knew of him from when I did 365 and he's good.

I've also heard of welovecreate from when it was called Garage studios? Wasn't lomokev involved with them at one point? And maybe someone else but I can't think who it was.

But yeah I think popping to Brighton and doing a course with someone sounds like a great idea. Plus I want to try and purchase some basic studio lighting kit over time so it would be good if I actually learned how to use it. I've kind of reached that point where I need some proper tuition on certain things.

Kenny's style is very unique, a bit surreal for me, love the image near the end with the blue and yellow lights though.

Ahhh yeah, I think I might have met him really briefly at one of lomokev's book launches about two years ago. Time has really got away from me really quickly, especially when I keep coming back to this place and I still feel like it's 2008... but yeah, I dig his work. I remember his stuff from the 365 days also!

Create did used to be Garage Studios indeed! I was helping out there just as they were setting up their new studio and doing their name change and everything, but again, that was aggges ago. The other photographer you might be thinking of could be Kev Mason (http://welovecreate.com/portfolio/kevin-mason) who used to go by the name DarkDaze on flickr? But definitely let me know if you're coming to Brighton, we could do a photography day out or something like that! And yeah, I would totally reccomend getting some basic stuff after you've had a bit of tuition! Learning how studio lighting works has been one of the best things ever to literally just make me think about lighting all the time, even when in a natural lighting environment!

atmospheric bokeh <3 <3 love it!

to be fussy [because you asked!] I think.. this was maybe a little too dark. I would get rid of the white splodge that I assume was her shirt pattern, and maybe have a tiny bit more light, enough to frame her silhouette slightly. THOUGH my monitor might make things look darker than they are.

ugh it rained all weekend and now that I'm back at work its beautiful and sunny. TYPICAL.

to be fussy [because you asked!] I think.. this was maybe a little too dark. I would get rid of the white splodge that I assume was her shirt pattern, and maybe have a tiny bit more light, enough to frame her silhouette slightly. THOUGH my monitor might make things look darker than they are.

I was thinking the same, except i would've liked to see more of her face. lovely shot though :D

It's not forbidden to take 'straight' angles; regarding the crops, I hate it when just the head of an instrument is cut off; cut it off even more, or show the whole thing.

Overall, I do like the atmosphere, but there's only 1 or 2 I really like.