Do want and do not want.

Pros: full frame (so better low-light performance), great quality, fully weather sealed

Cons: not for ef-s lenses, focussing system has issues (about 10% of the shots aren't well focussed apparently)

Well ef-s doesn't really cause an issue unless you've built up a bank of them.

I'm all for the full frame awesomeness, you can't deny that it seems to be the camera body of choice for most pros (cept they're all upgrading to mkIII now bastards - though that's apparently got some light leak in earlier release).

Screw the 10% issue! I would much prefer a 5dmkii than my 400d right now. At the moment it annoys me with its own lack of focusing on what I want issue a lot of the time.

my talk of cameras is now redundant, looks like I need a new laptop instead :( :(

THOUGH how cheap can you get a 5d mkii? I'm not sure I'd want to try and buy a camera second hand.. got stung buying a film one on ebay, doesn't bloody work :rolleyes:

my talk of cameras is now redundant, looks like I need a new laptop instead :( :(

THOUGH how cheap can you get a 5d mkii? I'm not sure I'd want to try and buy a camera second hand.. got stung buying a film one on ebay, doesn't bloody work :rolleyes:

a used 5d mkii from ebay is around a grand, it'd be worth finding out the shutter count before but as digitalrev has pointed out on several occasions, dslr's are built to withstand hell, i wouldn't worry too much as long as it isn't nearing the end of its shutter life (about 150,000). that'd be my upgrade for that price. if low light focusing is important then yeah probably look elsewhere, like the 7d. if new is important google is showing 1400+ only for the mkii

however... zack arias' review of the fuji x100s makes a compelling case for it being the new leica. if i was going to avoid doing paid work and shoot only for enjoyment i'd consider jumping the dslr ship. permanently fixed 35mm focal length though would probably push me toward the xpro1

Boo! I'm still waiting to even start my camera fund :( My 400d is so old now, I just feel like waiting and doing the big jump.

Not sure of prices but I know with the mkiii release it's become a lot more realistic in affordability. Boo about getting stung with ebay, I hate ebay for that reason, especially when you go for something expensive.

Mmm leica, one day...one day.

Shutter count is important, but also whether it's been used for filming (the lesser the better).

Mk ii bodies go around 1200 euros used atm, too much for me unfortunately. (Unless I sell some fancy L-glass...)

Curious, how does the filming use affect the condition of the body? Also curious about the shutter count too, does the body degrade over time? Because I was under the impression if you looked after it they keep well.

a used 5d mkii from ebay is around a grand, it'd be worth finding out the shutter count before but as digitalrev has pointed out on several occasions, dslr's are built to withstand hell, i wouldn't worry too much as long as it isn't nearing the end of its shutter life (about 150,000). that'd be my upgrade for that price. if low light focusing is important then yeah probably look elsewhere, like the 7d. if new is important google is showing 1400+ only for the mkii

however... zack arias' review of the fuji x100s makes a compelling case for it being the new leica. if i was going to avoid doing paid work and shoot only for enjoyment i'd consider jumping the dslr ship. permanently fixed 35mm focal length though would probably push me toward the xpro1

that detail is amazing! :eek: though I don't really get the camera interface :ninja:

I didn't know cameras had a shutter life. I looked up how to check that, but my noob self will have to read the tutorial article again :chuckle: Maybe that's why my camera shutter has been acting strange.

I'd like a new camera body but a new laptop is a priority for me as well, now that i need to use it for work. :(

• 2 weeks later...

Been away from the boards for a few months, here's a few I took.

8632459374_f69e07d861.jpg

Ruth Rayburn by IntelligentAl, on Flickr

8631352581_2b7df8e1d3.jpg

Ruth Rayburn - On The Bridge by IntelligentAl, on Flickr

Those were both taken while I was shooting a student film, so there were plenty of photo opportunities. I also got Photoshop, so I've tried my hand at colourising a lot of the black and white photos I took.

And finally, there was this one.

8546484319_84d6a8b89f.jpg

InkGlass1 by IntelligentAl, on Flickr

http://www.myshuttercount.com/

for checking shutter count :) and just google for the info on a particular body's life expectancy.

thanks! i think my photos just don't carry shutter count info, none of the websites i've tried are showing me results for my .CR2 and .JPEG files.

anyone experienced in reselling cameras? I just bought a Lumix GX1 on a whim today...the Panasonic sales guy was amazingly helpful and found an extra camera after we thought the last one had sold. honestly the zoom ring felt too tight and since I already have a DSLR and Lumix TZ19, I'd only use the GX1 at concert venues (as long as security are lax). but for $299 I couldn't say no. it's a nice camera that I was already thinking of purchasing.

I'm not the kind who resells for a profit but I spent so much money on my lens and colorimeter last month, and got a parking ticket this week. I can easily make at least $100 profit off this camera. To sell or not to sell? :unsure: maybe i should do another trial run? just to make sure i really don't want it.

Edited by polythenelucy

8697590064_f8195e2eb4_c.jpg

Wallace Vanborn by MaQPhoto, on Flickr

8697586654_c60eb371e9_c.jpg

Navarone by MaQPhoto, on Flickr

THESE TWO. I really like the detail in the first one - It looks like there's some rain on the guitar, or he's just sweated a lot onto it? It's cool anyway. And the second one's framing and action is just rad. Also the smoke means there's not too much empty space above him!

Been away from the boards for a few months, here's a few I took.

8632459374_f69e07d861.jpg

Ruth Rayburn by IntelligentAl, on Flickr

I really quite like this one, but on my screen it seems like there should be a little bit more definition around her nose - it's the only point where it looks like she could be lost in the sky, just right on the outline

You got a reaaally cool effect on these, I like 'em. The only thing I'd say is in that handshake one, the difference in colour between the blue at the bottom and the green at the top might be too stark, if there was a way you could gradient the two into each other underneath the two hands meeting (gradient tool & mask layers) to get a smoother blend of the colours that might work?

THESE TWO. I really like the detail in the first one - It looks like there's some rain on the guitar, or he's just sweated a lot onto it? It's cool anyway. And the second one's framing and action is just rad. Also the smoke means there's not too much empty space above him!

Cheers! That guy was one sweaty bastard, so it's not rain! The second one is really a nice shot, very happy with it. Would've cropped it if it wasn't for the smoke indeed.Wish it'd have more of the whole guitar in it, but can't complain!