So, my dad got a new camera because he thought it would help photograph my figure skating. What he didn't realize is that you need a super fast lens, and thus a much more expensive camera than he bought.

I like this one though. I can take pictures like these:

tree.jpg

potflower.jpg

clover.jpg

And, my favorite:

pink.jpg

(I did edit the colors a little bit on Elements, as the camera had trouble making some parts stand out :erm:)

what camera did he buy? A DSLR? I'm thinking you'd need a fast shutter speed and decent aperture for it, but it wouldn't be that hard to find a suitable lens.

if he bought a point & shoot though, then yeah might not be able to do much :unsure:

Indeed! If it's a DSLR, then a 50mm prime lens should help a lot already (though no zooming).

As it's indoors it could be a bit tricky, but I would say that figure skating has some decent light usually? Basically a kitlens with stabiliser should work for getting some decent results, no need to go to overly expensive lenses. (note: this is coming from someone who has a thing for those expensive lenses... they're addicting :( )

guess I was in a B&W mood :erm: the rest are over on my flickrrrrr

i love the b&w! it really fits the mood in your photos :) it's amazing how much more dramatic some photos look in black and white...

nice pics, Dean! speaking of b&w, i love the 2nd and 5th photos. beautiful perspective in the 4th photo, too

Yeah, do a test shoot and see whether it's still there with a different lens. If yes, let me know - I can ask parents what caused their stripe and how did they get it fixed.

I tried it out, and it is the camera's fault, it seems. :( haven't taken a close look at my kit lens photos yet, but I do see the stripe. i think it has to do with the angle of the backlight.

I searched around in some flickr groups and found some other people who had the same problem. it may be a "sticky shutter"? http://www.flickr.com/groups/canondslr/discuss/72157629031463263/?search=stripe

Edited by polythenelucy

Oooh, I love the colourful bokeh web one, Miranda! :happy:

Bobbles said I'm getting better at taking photos :LOL:

8627896222_f83c22310c_n.jpg

Molly by Am.Dark, on Flickr

I'll keep trying. There are things I can see I could do better with it, like move the Dalmatian in the background distorting her white face and just sort out the framing a bit (my biggest problem all the time). I like taking photos of dogs, though. They're so uncooperative.

I'll keep trying. There are things I can see I could do better with it, like move the Dalmatian in the background distorting her white face and just sort out the framing a bit (my biggest problem all the time). I like taking photos of dogs, though. They're so uncooperative.

aw thanks! :happy:

I know what you mean :LOL: I have so many ridiculous photos of puppy wesley, usually just a blur with white teeth. Its so tricky to get really nice poochy photos except when they're asleep!

Yeah, same about the ear. It really bugs me. One of the problems with dogs is that you don't get much room for making mistakes. That shot is actually the very first moments of a bark, which is why her mouth is ever so slightly open. The next photo was ridiculous :LOL:

You've made me curious...

I so can't wait to try out my new 24-70 2.8 tonight! Dark shithole of a venue, let's see what it does :awesome:

You should totally do a gif of a burst shots!

Aww doesn't he let you play with the 5d?

I want a 5d.

Sadness.

The 400D is excellent as a camera in daylight, the only benefit you'd have from the 5D is the full frame range.

Show us some of the barks, I would love to see flailing tongues too :chuckle: I took this of a random passing dog in 2012 :)

img2990l.jpg

that's lovely! i love action shots :D

might be able to get get a 2nd hand 5d mk2, or a d700. those are what come to my mind.

or you could try one of fuji's x range. x100(s) or x-pro1, they seem nice

hmm i definitely want to stick with canon. i haven't really looked into all the new models at all, was thinking maybe the 60d. will probably have to go play with the different models in a store, i want a nice balance between amazing quality/features and not having to lug a giant camera around.

Having the 60D myself, I can say it's a great camera, but it seems the 7D is a bit nicer. It has micro adjustment for lenses, which I wouldn't mind for some of mine.

Great battery life though, swiveling screen can be nice. If you're more into non-bulky, try the 600D. It's a tad smaller, but also excellent quality.