They should fix the focus speed on it, especially for lower circumstances. My 70-200 2.8 (version 1) does a great job at that, where the 1.4 just freaks out, regardless of the aperture.

dreamyourealive, I have a lot of rubbish on there too and some half aborted instant lomo project but most recent stuff tends to be nice stuff.

thanks! Definitely had to add you as a contact. love all your film stuff. :)

Speaking of macro lenses have any of you tried Rokinon brand lenses? Apparently the brand also goes by Samyang, Vivitar, and Bower. There's a deal going on for this lens (only for U.S., I think):

http://www.buydig.com/shop/product.aspx?sdtid=5907616&sku=RO35MC&ref=cj

35mm works for me, I take a lot of wider shots anyway. But I do like 50mm since I like closer range shots but don't enjoy getting up in people's faces with my camera. :$

The price is still a bit steep for me, even with the coupon code ($364). I was hoping to find a lens under $200, e.g. the nifty 50.

I want a 1.4 :(

Actually I want full frame goodness really. Though that's a long off far away dream. Need to start a camera fund.

Then I have the crisis of not having a machine that can handle the file size for processing :/ then I'll need a MacBook pro. Oh money where art thou

the 50 can be awkwardly close for some settings, an f1.8 35mm [or similar] would be amazing. but the 50 is so cheap!

I actually really want to upgrade my camera body, it's definitely seen better days. maybe some day :supersad:

8557511387_c0afb5383c_c.jpg

8557534865_fe32886ec5_c.jpg

And an image that isn't mine that shits on those two, but it's my friend's and I want to share it as it's so cool. The trees, shadows, lighting, the way the other image is put on top of it

374431_355646697878054_591092679_n.jpg

the 50 can be awkwardly close for some settings, an f1.8 35mm [or similar] would be amazing. but the 50 is so cheap!

I actually really want to upgrade my camera body, it's definitely seen better days. maybe some day :supersad:

Yep mines too, it has a load of battle scars from times gone, its got scratches on the body from the time I jumped off a block in trafalgar square and I battered my 400d against the stone.

8580031277_878a63894d.jpg

Redness overload by -eleonore, on Flickr

Not sure if I like the last photo. Can't seem to capture the colour right, it looked way more red and bright IRL.

I also have that problem a lot with my nature photos. but you could try saturating the colors in Lightroom :)

congrats, Matthijs! great pics, I love the piano one that you didn't post here as well.

I'd really like to be allowed for once to shoot at a venue. :LOL: just recently snuck my camera into a gig on Thursday. I'm getting pretty good at that. :awesome:

40mm.jpeg

my first time seeing this lens :eek: I can't believe how flat it is!!! Canon USA is having a sale on it today...very very tempted to buy it. but I might as well buy the 50mm since it has a bigger aperture and costs less at regular price...so very indecisive right now. :(

Thanks everyone :happy: Gig photography is really becoming my thing, so I'm hoping that when I move to Estonia I can pick it up there as well (and hopefully paid) :happy:

Regarding that pancake lens: I wouldn't buy it. Like you said, the aperture isn't all that, and the difference between a 35 or 50 is just too little, and I'd rather have those.

Matthijs, I think you take technically good gig photos. Crisp and close and detailed. But I would love to see you capture a bit more of the general atmosphere & feeling. Otherwise, its just photos of people with instruments, you know?

Mm I do take those too, but they go to the venue and I'd hate to post them online, as it's private audience really... I'm not sure how glad those people would be with photos of them on a site other than the venue...

I'll link them from the venue site for now :)

12299.jpg

12296.jpg

These 2 are exceptions to my rule as they were great shots:

7965487122_cc9febafe2.jpg

Barrier Crowd by MaQPhoto, on Flickr

7965489020_7540641159.jpg

Rocking Kid by MaQPhoto, on Flickr

Edited by Matthijs

I also have that problem a lot with my nature photos. but you could try saturating the colors in Lightroom :)

Thanks for the advice! :):happy:

Regarding that pancake lens: I wouldn't buy it. Like you said, the aperture isn't all that, and the difference between a 35 or 50 is just too little, and I'd rather have those.

I bought it :facepalm: I just received it today and opened the box. gonna play with it now :awesome: I don't think this will stop me from getting a 50mm eventually. I really need that lower f-stop.

Thanks for the advice! :):happy:

Try vibrance before saturation, it's a bit less extreme :)

I bought it :facepalm: I just received it today and opened the box. gonna play with it now :awesome: I don't think this will stop me from getting a 50mm eventually. I really need that lower f-stop.

I think I'll go for the 24-70 2.8 next... I don't like how dark my 24-105 is in low-light situations.

I think I'll go for the 24-70 2.8 next... I don't like how dark my 24-105 is in low-light situations.

do you use it for gigs? f/4 just doesn't do any good, it seems. i've noticed a lot of gig photographers use lenses with at least f/2.8

I don't know if I should be worried about my new lens...

a6ZnbUj.jpg

I took the photo on the right after looking at the preview of the first image and noticing a "line" on the top right. I just waived it off as a cobweb or something but it wasn't until i got home when i realized the line didn't shift at all, even though i took the photos at slightly different angles. i can't figure out what it is! the line is visible in these 2 photos only. it might not be a problem for all i know.

also, some pics from the joy formidable gig in LA:

[spoiler=TJF at LA]

8590980808_e0528fa999_z.jpg

The Joy Formidable @ The Fonda Theatre by Lucy (嘉莉), on Flickr

8589882603_d98f854572_z.jpg

8590956740_6bfe2876e7_z.jpg

I only noticed the inconsistent processing after uploading on Flickr :facepalm:

Don't think so but most of us are I think.

No idea about those lines; seems like some light issue; not sure if you've used a lens hood? (on a pancake? Matt, don't be silly...)

My mum or dad had this issue as well some time ago, can't remember what exactly caused it. Something inside the camera, if I remember correctly.

If it's just in those two I can't really think of what it is; if it appears in more than those images, it may be a shutter curtain issue.

I think a test run is needed :yesey: Take photos with different colours and backgrounds and see whether the stripe is still there. Perhaps it only shows properly on darker backgrounds.

agh I spotted the stripe again! no lens hood, no filter. the stripe appears when i'm shooting almost directly into sunlight.

krPrsvV.jpg

if it's possibly a problem with my camera i'll try a test run with my kit lens. thanks for the tip! i hope my camera is ok :$

agh I spotted the stripe again! no lens hood, no filter. the stripe appears when i'm shooting almost directly into sunlight.

krPrsvV.jpg

if it's possibly a problem with my camera i'll try a test run with my kit lens. thanks for the tip! i hope my camera is ok :$

Yeah, do a test shoot and see whether it's still there with a different lens. If yes, let me know - I can ask parents what caused their stripe and how did they get it fixed.