Well isn't the orientation all a matter of what kind of composition you are going for.

If you have an image with strong horizontal lines (be in the horizon, buildings, roads etc) then it would seem natural to have these flat for it to be the strongest of compositions.

Sometimes you can do different angles and stuff, but you go a bit crazy and it just looks like you were shaking the camera about or trying to be "extreme" :p It's all about what makes the strongest composition, sometimes the 'wonk' can work, other times it doesn't.

^ what a lovely photo to revive the thread :chuckle:

how do you all process photos while keeping lighting, color, etc. consistent? I know you can batch process but wouldn't you have to tweak every photo if they were taken outdoors?

For example, I couldn't get the red hues in these photos to match:

tumblr_mh87lipT9X1qze1h1o6_r1_1280.jpg

tumblr_mh87lipT9X1qze1h1o5_r1_1280.jpg

mipanda, I like the rosey gradient in your Venice photo! I think the scratches in my sunglasses will be too visible if I try anything like that. :chuckle: But your pic reminds me of this old photo I took when I was still experimenting with a point and shoot.

2767418948_850ca5278c.jpg

Shades by Lucy (嘉莉), on Flickr

Yeah those sunglasses were actually amazing. Just cheap shit ones I picked up when I was there, but the second I put them on I was like HOLY CRAP EVERYTHING IS BEAUTIFUL :chuckle: I was devastated when I lost them.

that photo of yours actually reminds me of Kill Bill :LOL:

Sometimes you can do different angles and stuff, but you go a bit crazy and it just looks like you were shaking the camera about or trying to be "extreme" :p It's all about what makes the strongest composition, sometimes the 'wonk' can work, other times it doesn't.

yeah I think that's what I have the problem with :LOL: You can only break the rules properly when you know how to follow them!

Since I posted in the challenge thread, I'll stick another one here. Wedding brainstorming shiz soz guise.

8490828057_496cd0f9e1.jpg

Tea Cups & Roses by mipanda, on Flickr

^nice

I got inspired by Maciej Dakowicz's Cardiff After Dark series so decided to see if (the substantially quieter than Cardiff) Chester had anything to offer on a saturday night, here're a couple

8503354813_6a9066c488_z.jpg

Communication by SnipingForPacifists, on Flickr

8504466368_12cc2430fb_z.jpg

Onwards by SnipingForPacifists, on Flickr

considering he took thousands of shots over several years, wasn't too bad for just one night. I imagine when the horse racing season starts again there'll be some scenes.

Edited by adds

the sunset shot is nice. I like long exposure shots taken from cars but using the dashboard alone to stabilize the camera is tricky.

^nice

I got inspired by Maciej Dakowicz's Cardiff After Dark series so decided to see if (the substantially quieter than Cardiff) Chester had anything to offer on a saturday night, here're a couple

I like that Long Arm of the Law photo in your Flickr set and it might look better in b&w. hope you didn't feel threatened by the guy. :LOL:

that's a beautiful photo, mipanda. i saw your post in the monthly challenge thread and my laptop monitor has also been keeping me from editing photos... haven't been going through my unedited pics for so long that I nearly forgot about the contest. :LOL: I'm just going to submit by the last day, pacific time again. :D

LA had plenty of rain this month but I unfortunately didn't take advantage of any of that.

one of my personal favorites, but not taken this month:

8510660071_3df67b908d_z.jpg

Hongqiao Airport 1/500 by Lucy (嘉莉), on Flickr

Edited by polythenelucy

that's a beautiful photo, mipanda. i saw your post in the monthly challenge thread and my laptop monitor has also been keeping me from editing photos... haven't been going through my unedited pics for so long that I nearly forgot about the contest. :LOL: I'm just going to submit by 2/27 pacific time again. :D

LA had plenty of rain this month but I unfortunately didn't take advantage of any of that.

one of my personal favorites, but not taken this month:

8510660071_3df67b908d_z.jpg

Hongqiao Airport 1/500 by Lucy (嘉莉), on Flickr

aw thanks! I have no idea how to recalibrate my laptop as I don't have a printer, and everything I read kept mentioning pairing up printed colour to screen colour. Its a hp pavillion and just really blue and non-contrasty, but I didn't realise until I was sending excel worksheets home and noticed how significantly different they looked compared to on my work desktop.

I really like this one :happy: the sharp silhouettes and the soft shadows/reflections on the ground. nice!