much better! :happy: what editing software did you use?

Lightroom; I did find it a bit difficult to edit; I wasn't there when the pic was taken so I can't really recreate what you saw that time.

If anything I would've liked to keep it a bit hazier, but I'm not sure if it was very hazy at all, or if that's the bright sun playing tricks.

Lightroom; I did find it a bit difficult to edit; I wasn't there when the pic was taken so I can't really recreate what you saw that time.

If anything I would've liked to keep it a bit hazier, but I'm not sure if it was very hazy at all, or if that's the bright sun playing tricks.

the photo give the impression it was quite misty but it was actually a really clear and sunny day, so your edit makes the reflection of the sky on the water stand out which I really like :happy:

I agree. It had a fresh/fantasy feel to it. The edited one is far too dark and looks edited. The best photos are the ones where you cant see any effects done to it.

I mostly agree to this (there's definitely some exceptions though), the reason why I edited is to compare edits.

I'm not sure if I can answer that. I only know that it bothers me, ever since T started pointing it out to me.

I was never a damn fan, but ever since you pointed it out in here a couple of pages back. I keep on moticing it and get all 'ugh' artist snobby. My friend is a training graphic designer and does the 'arty' crooked horizon all the time and I think surely I can't have a better eye for photography than her...but I do. :chuckle: (then again Im very arty)

IMHO a crooked horizon can work very rarely. Usually it's just sloppy shooting or going for the cliché diagonal horizon, neither of which makes me think of good photography.

So I'd say 8 or 9 out of ten. I have seen very few crooked horizon photos that I'd actually consider good.

Just makes me think of the deep girl who points a camera and shoots And looks back "wow that's so good". Okay well it's good to know I'm not the only one!

On a scale of 1 to 10 how often do crooked horizons example poor photography?

I don't think it's really relevant to the skill of the photographer. if the photo is straightened, nobody even knows? I'd say crooked horizon is just sloppy editing. I always tilt slightly to one side, must just be lop-sided :LOL:

edit: but deliberately wonky shots do my head in. I'd say they're a sign of someone without much experience/knowledge

On a scale of 1 to 10 how often do crooked horizons example poor photography?

lol I used to do this all the time! Now it bugs the hell out of me whenever I notice it in my old photos. but I hate re-editing old stuff so I usually just leave it...

I'd say crooked horizon is just sloppy editing. I always tilt slightly to one side, must just be lop-sided :LOL:

yeah I don't think I ever shot diagonal horizons on purpose. :LOL: I never tilted my photos when I edited, though. maybe I didn't mind the diagonal look back then.

4958747589_e27ef00941_n.jpg 3645835307_bfccc6e13a_n.jpg 3334405345_3d91216c52_n.jpg

I like Matthijs' edit a bit more than Oh Hannah's original but that might be because my laptop display's contrast isn't very strong.

Speaking of which, I recently calibrated my monitor (just using my laptop's calibration tool) it's had a blue cast this entire time! now all the photos I've processed on this laptop are too warm in tone and high in contrast. :noey: I probably need to calibrate again before I edit anymore images. contrast still seems low compared to my iPod, my brother's PC monitor, etc...

lol I used to do this all the time! Now it bugs the hell out of me whenever I notice it in my old photos. but I hate re-editing old stuff so I usually just leave it..

yeah I don't think I ever shot diagonal horizons on purpose. :LOL: I never tilted my photos when I edited, though. maybe I didn't mind the diagonal look back then.

Haha, well tbh that palm tree one did irritate me slightly, but not as much as the ones that I've seen. And I really don't notice it with the gig photography, those are good :happy:

I don't think it's really relevant to the skill of the photographer. if the photo is straightened, nobody even knows? I'd say crooked horizon is just sloppy editing. I always tilt slightly to one side, must just be lop-sided :LOL:

edit: but deliberately wonky shots do my head in. I'd say they're a sign of someone without much experience/knowledge

Oh no, I straighten my wonky photos. I mean purposely 'artfully' crooked horizon. There needs to some sort of comic panel to demonstrate my frustration.

but deliberately wonky shots do my head in. I'd say they're a sign of someone without much experience/knowledge

:wtf:

I'd disagree with that. If a photo is deliberately angled, that's a stylistic choice. It doesn't necessarily mean that the photographer is inexperienced or anything at all. In fact to be quite honest, if every photo I ever looked at was perfectly horizontal, it'd probably get boring after a while. Some photos just look better angled, simple as that.

Like these two for example, I took these at an angle deliberately. Perhaps I'm just a terrible photographer, but to me they wouldn't have worked nearly as well if they were perfectly straight.

8380875020_956193ea2c.jpg

SnowWalk11 by IntelligentAl, on Flickr

8380874498_8e2d3f1f77.jpg

SnowWalk8 by IntelligentAl, on Flickr

Just my two pennies.

The first one isn't too angled as the street in the back is almost straight, also the view line (car tracks) is drawing you in, distracting you.

The second one, in my opinion, would've worked better with different framing, drawing our attention more towards the art piece. Now it's not really one specific thing.

I do not pretend my images are perfect. In fact, my general pictures are a bit bland (my main focus is band photography, and I think I'm doing that quite well), and I'm hoping to change that. But I think the focus should always draw you into a main object, except for landscapes.

i don't notice the crooked horizon in the first photo but it's the depth of field that bothers me. the second one looks a quick snapshot. rule of thirds could've come in handy there. you have a couple of nice snow pics in your flickr stream, tho :)

Haha, well tbh that palm tree one did irritate me slightly, but not as much as the ones that I've seen. And I really don't notice it with the gig photography, those are good :happy:

thanks! :D I guess it's more of a problem with landscapes. nowadays i'll only angle my camera for gig photos if i'm not in a good position to shoot, e.g. being squished against the barrier. sucks not having a photo pass :LOL:

Edited by polythenelucy

:wtf:

I'd disagree with that. If a photo is deliberately angled, that's a stylistic choice. It doesn't necessarily mean that the photographer is inexperienced or anything at all. In fact to be quite honest, if every photo I ever looked at was perfectly horizontal, it'd probably get boring after a while. Some photos just look better angled, simple as that.

Like these two for example, I took these at an angle deliberately. Perhaps I'm just a terrible photographer, but to me they wouldn't have worked nearly as well if they were perfectly straight.

8380875020_956193ea2c.jpg

SnowWalk11 by IntelligentAl, on Flickr

8380874498_8e2d3f1f77.jpg

SnowWalk8 by IntelligentAl, on Flickr

Just my two pennies.

wellll the first one doesn't look deliberately wonky, I like that one? It has a nice flow that draws your eye along the picture.

The second one kind of looks snapshotty. I think having it straighter, with that big white thing on the right edge would have more of a flow like the first photo.

Shall I just clarify what I mean by crooked horizons?

tumblr_mhn97kQ9MX1r13x02o1_500.jpg

the ship, it's sinking. CAPTAIN

tumblr_mhk9kzH6Jd1r13x02o1_500.jpg

tumblr_mh9io2Y5Tk1r13x02o1_500.jpg

Ooop I took this while falling over

DSCN5276.JPG

etc

Although I feel like I don't mind this wonky one. But it's probably because there's no horizon in it?

DSCN5302.JPG

anyway. That's what I mean.

Edited by naget4music

Shall I just clarify what I mean by crooked horizions?

DSCN5276.JPG

etc

Oddly enough I fucking love that (more the extreme angle than the photo). Would be amazing to see that large on a wall, it actually generates some sort of response from me.

Oddly enough I fucking love that (more the extreme angle than the photo). Would be amazing to see that large on a wall, it actually generates some sort of response from me.

Haha that's really interesting. Maybe my automatic response is to feel dizzy or something. You might like this one then

DSCN5115.JPG

There are exceptions to everything, and obvs its all down to personal taste.

this is a wonky & badly framed photo, it really was just a snapshot I took on a boat, with my sunglasses over the lens :LOL:. the left edge is where I accidently caught the boat in the shot.. But I actually quite liked it with the flaws and left it unedited, because it reminds me of what I was doing just as I took the photo. It's probably my favourite one from Venice.

3355972560_e12270e882.jpg

rose-tinted view by mipanda, on Flickr

I get your points, and cheers for the compliments, but my main point was that a crooked horizon isn't always a bad thing, and certainly not the sign of a bad photographer.

that was what I was referring to when I said your image looked like a snapshot. a crooked horizon could be a sign that the photo was taken very quickly without composition in mind. maybe it was done deliberately...but mostly, they end up looking accidental.

Shall I just clarify what I mean by crooked horizons?

tumblr_mhn97kQ9MX1r13x02o1_500.jpg

the ship, it's sinking. CAPTAIN

tumblr_mhk9kzH6Jd1r13x02o1_500.jpg

tumblr_mh9io2Y5Tk1r13x02o1_500.jpg

Ooop I took this while falling over

DSCN5276.JPG

etc

Although I feel like I don't mind this wonky one. But it's probably because there's no horizon in it?

DSCN5302.JPG

anyway. That's what I mean.

oh dear the fourth picture...that's a solid 45 degree angle there :chuckle: i like the very last one for its abstract quality. was it you or your friend who took these?

Edited by polythenelucy

Love that one Miranda. Hmm sunglasses as a filter...hmm the possibilities.

oh dear the fourth picture...that's a solid 45 degree angle there :chuckle: i like the very last one for its abstract quality. was it you or your friend who took these?

:LOL: yeah well. Yeah I especially like the last one now I'm on my phone. Much easier to view. My friend.... I mean I know I get all snobby about art...but that's because I love it and I know a bit about it. But she's a graphic designer and gets all snobby about fonts and that so idk, I suppose I get extra annoy when see these. :chuckle:. But then again, I know I'm no expert photographer...

:LOL: yeah well. Yeah I especially like the last one now I'm on my phone. Much easier to view. My friend.... I mean I know I get all snobby about art...but that's because I love it and I know a bit about it. But she's a graphic designer and gets all snobby about fonts and that so idk, I suppose I get extra annoy when see these. :chuckle:. But then again, I know I'm no expert photographer...

oh ok I'm glad it wasn't you! :chuckle: still, that's a few too many angled shots for one person. :stunned:

perhaps you can set her straight! :awesome::noey:

mipanda, I like the rosey gradient in your Venice photo! I think the scratches in my sunglasses will be too visible if I try anything like that. :chuckle: But your pic reminds me of this old photo I took when I was still experimenting with a point and shoot.

2767418948_850ca5278c.jpg

Shades by Lucy (嘉莉), on Flickr

Ok the second photo was probably a bad example, but I didn't feel like going through my whole Flickr, so I'll clarify what I was saying too.

A crooked horizon has to suit the picture. Sometimes it will work, sometimes it won't. Sometimes its to your taste, sometimes it isn't. The thing I took issue with though, was saying that any photo with a crooked horizon is a bad photo, or the sign of a bad photographer, because that isn't always necessarily the case.

I agree with Al there :yesey: I actually have some tilted pictures, though not many - but one of them is in the Challenge thread. The explanation for that one is simple, it was the only way to fit the crane on the picture in that angle I wanted with it looking good. :chuckle:

In the same way I could once only fit a boat together with the dock in a picture without going back too far (there would have been obstacles/things that didn't fit into the picture well) by having it along the diagonal side - and that looks quite cool too! Don't have it here though unfortunately otherwise I'd post it. But I guess people understand the idea.

I'd also say that not the visible horizon has to be straight, but the viewer needs the impression that the picture is straight - so if your picture includes a little wall from an angle or something, it won't be straight, and if there's buildings behind that you won't get a sensible horizon there either, but if your buildings have walls that are orthogonal to your supposed horizon, the picture will look straight. :happy: