Yeah, the lighting was just phenomenal. Couldn't have asked for better. I find it annoying that I've had so many people look at those photos and go "OH MY GOD THEY'RE AMAZING YOU'RE SO TALENTED" when it was one of the easiest gigs I've shot in years :LOL: A shit band no-one's heard of in a tiny venue with pure red lighting... now that takes talent to get good photos, haha.

Still using the 60D, yeah. I ought to upgrade because it's starting to really hold me back, but I just don't have the disposable funds at the moment. I need a rich benefactor or something :LOL:

In the meantime, though, I just won a compact, so I guess that makes up for something. Canon G7X. I haven't had a compact with zoom for two years now, so I am PSYCHED :D

Maybe any of the magazines can trade some funds for your soul (for a year or so)? They invest in your gear, and you work for them? (you can always try right?)

• 2 weeks later...

Ain't gonna happen, unfortunately.

On the upside, I went to Germany last week, with aforementioned new compact. I had the chance for a photo pass, but I turned it down because one of the bands was offering a photo release contract which gave you the rights to the photo, but gave them the rights to use it wherever and whenever they wanted without payment or credit. The other band wanted full copyright and also wanted all photos approved by the band before publication. Fuck that.

So, I took my new G7x. And you know what? From the crowd, I got the BEST pictures.

12238078_969796952338_4507928083749133621_o_1.jpg

Screen_Shot_2015_11_16_at_02_33_13.png

Screen_Shot_2015_11_16_at_02_34_25.png

These are all .jpeg files, not the RAW files which I also have, edited on Photoshop Touch on my phone, on the road. I've not yet got myself to Lightroom to pull the photos in there and edit them properly.

(apologies for the size - I have no way of changing that right now)

Fuck that photo pass. My life and my universe for my compact camera and my energy to keep myself going in the crowd <3

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
That first photo got over 1k likes on an aurora facebook site, and nearly 300 on the Estonian aurora page. I'm seriously giddy over that :D

Well bloody hell, it is an amazing picture. :awesome::happy: The boat looks a little like a helmet first and those stars are so pretty :happy:!

The other picture is great too, but the first has some seriously good picture composition going on. :happy:

Still, group pictures at ISO 4000 indoor were disappointing for me. Then again, I don't have a proper flash set-up for that, so couldn't be helped.

I thought the 6d was meant to be better for noise when shooting indoors?

Anyway I want to have the dslr vs mirrorless debate.

Bob (crazybob that is) is always going on about going fuji mirrorless and I've noticed a lot of photographers I knew back in the day are all switching to mirrorless sensor systems mainly due to size and portability. I just found it really interesting that seems to be the trend. I'm really happy finally going full frame but I do feel like getting a good mirrorless for general snapping and stuff.

People's thoughts?

It is great noise-wise, but for nice group shots you do want that nice flash setup with low ISO. It was doable, just not ideal. I might just be very critical of the results.

I have seen great results from the mirrorless cameras, and I would love one just to have on me all the time - after all the best camera is the one you have on you.

Right, here's some of my jaunt to South Island:

12487313_1092571367428042_584965621220445236_o.jpg

12485999_1092572704094575_1930831863934378140_o.jpg

12440539_1092573357427843_1511724816361984564_o.jpg

Mattijs, I remember you saying you'd prefer some paddling photos which capture people's expressions. Should have some of those deeper in the SD card :)

I'll have a look! Do you know how to work with Lightroom? Resizing is easy in there ;)

• 4 weeks later...
This size is perfect!

I love the colours in this in general, photowise, the last one the most :)

:yesey: This!

I like the first and third one a lot, the first one reminds me of a Bob Ross painting :supersad: Just that you can't see ANY of the trunk of any of the 'happy little' (enormous) trees in the 'foreground' :chuckle:

Composition and colours of the third are awesome. Basically perfect photo all around :happy: