nice pics T also! :awesome: I love firework pictures :supersad:

bumpypotato, the second before last of your pictures is nearly perfect...nearly, just the split being to basically central makes it "nearly"...had that been a bit further up or down it'd be absolutely perfect :supersad: (still very good though!)

nice pics T also! :awesome: I love firework pictures :supersad:

bumpypotato, the second before last of your pictures is nearly perfect...nearly, just the split being to basically central makes it "nearly"...had that been a bit further up or down it'd be absolutely perfect :supersad: (still very good though!)

:happy: Too bad there are so few opportunities for taking them.

2011 :cool:

Probably didn't even take half the amount last year though, I relaxed a bit after and didn't take any until the end of February :LOL:

Niiice! And ha, I can see why you'd need a break after taking photos every day for a year :LOL:

I got to 17 days I think last year. Yea

:LOL: Good luck with that! I wouldn't dare to do anything like that for longer than a month, a year is an almost guaranteed failure.

You can do it! Even I managed it, I'm normally rubbish at committing to things.

I managed 91 days last time. If I can make it to 92 this year I will allow myself to give up with dignity.

Anyway, this was day one. Whether or not they'll all be as arty remains to be seen.

8337740761_837c372029.jpg

2013 Project 365 - January 1st by IntelligentAl, on Flickr

Fireworks, you say? Unfortunately this one's not mine:

Oh my days.

I guess this one isn't SO bad

8334667673_d31a9e007f_z.jpg

Sooo, a selection of my fireworks photos. There's a bit more on my Flickr, if anyone is interested.

Well nice yo :awesome:

Fireworks, you say? Unfortunately this one's not mine:

Hoooooly shit. That's beautiful

I managed 91 days last time. If I can make it to 92 this year I will allow myself to give up with dignity.

Anyway, this was day one. Whether or not they'll all be as arty remains to be seen.

8337740761_837c372029.jpg

2013 Project 365 - January 1st by IntelligentAl, on Flickr

How did you darken the bottom of the candle? Was it already like that on the photo or you used some photoshop magic?

I guess this one isn't SO bad

8334667673_d31a9e007f_z.jpg

Well nice yo :awesome:

It lacks something to "lock eyes" on, but I do like the tree silhouette!

How did you darken the bottom of the candle? Was it already like that on the photo or you used some photoshop magic?

I took out every other light source in the room, so the only light is actually from the candle itself. Since its only a small flame, it only reaches so far down itself.

Then I just sliiiiiiightly desaturated it.

I need some advices. I don't know if regular posters in here have noticed, but I've stopped really contributing recently....because I've had issues with my camera and have not sought to fix them. I have a canon powershot sx40 hs, and ever since...or even maybe before...I started playing around with the ISO (I think I was trying to shoot water or something)....I can NOT take bright scenes the colours that are there in front of me. It seems to always want to over compensate for the brightness and dulls it right down....rendering my camera as one that people don't want to have at special events anymore. I've fiddled and fiddled and fiddled and I can not fix it, it even does this in auto mode. Sometimes does it at night scenes when I'm using the flash. I used to pride my camera in being able to take lovely portraits in bright sunshine settings. and I just ugh. I don't know what to do.

But here are some photos I took at Christmas. These seemed to only work because they were on a pre-set filter which must of darkened the images enough for the camera's liking anyway

8340768245_71994882f8.jpg

Christmas Treats by superfasteganfish, on Flickr

8340764961_98a6dbf919.jpg

Presents by superfasteganfish, on Flickr

Amazing details! Photos like that often end up being over-/underexposed in some areas, but this is all very nicely balanced.

Thank you :happy:

+1 to that! If I would have to really point something out it's that the horizon is only slightly crooked, easily fixable. Can't complain though as this is a hand held shot probably! Nice :happy:

Thank you too. Did you notice the crookedness with the naked eye? It was a handheld shot but I rotated and cropped it before anything else, thought I'd got it right but I just checked it with rulers and it's like 3 pixels out :facepalm::LOL:

I have a DSLR but I'd still consider myself a photography 'n00b'. What's a HDR? :$

Project 365 started today.

Lets see how long this one lasts for :facepalm:

I got to 17 days I think last year. Yea

Ahh, I was going to do that and only remembered this morning. :facepalm: I could just cheat I guess, especially since I've just sat around and done nothing these first few days anyway. I think I have too many days like that to make it interesting though.

Thank you too. Did you notice the crookedness with the naked eye? It was a handheld shot but I rotated and cropped it before anything else, thought I'd got it right but I just checked it with rulers and it's like 3 pixels out :facepalm::LOL:

I'm not sure if scary or awesome but yes, noticed that with the naked eye :chuckle:

I have a DSLR but I'd still consider myself a photography 'n00b'. What's a HDR? :$

It's short for High Dynamic Range, a method where photos with different exposures are blended into one. (http://www.stuckincustoms.com/hdr-tutorial/ - this has a pretty nice explanation for it, if you scroll down a bit.)

So if you take three shots of the same scene:

1. normal

2. underexposed

3. overexposed

and then blend it together, the general image will come from 1, the brighter areas are taken from 2 (so the sky isn't too bright and you actually see the clouds etc) and darker areas from 3 (so instead of having a tree silhouette you can see the colours on the tree etc). This way you can turn a photo with near-white sky and dark trees into one colourful shot where you can see everything properly.

It can be awesome when done well and really terrible if you over-do it.

It's short for High Dynamic Range, a method where photos with different exposures are blended into one. (http://www.stuckincustoms.com/hdr-tutorial/ - this has a pretty nice explanation for it, if you scroll down a bit.)

So if you take three shots of the same scene:

1. normal

2. underexposed

3. overexposed

and then blend it together, the general image will come from 1, the brighter areas are taken from 2 (so the sky isn't too bright and you actually see the clouds etc) and darker areas from 3 (so instead of having a tree silhouette you can see the colours on the tree etc). This way you can turn a photo with near-white sky and dark trees into one colourful shot where you can see everything properly.

It can be awesome when done well and really terrible if you over-do it.

It's like the botched plastic surgery of photography. Always looks artificial and ridiculously over processed. Saw a photo blog of a Chernobyl trip and the HDR effect cheapened the photos a great deal.

@Bobbles: are you Kyle of Digitalrev? :chuckle:

Anyway, something I've been wondering which you might be able to answer Bobbles, you use greycards etc right? How does that work in the processing of the images?

I know you take a greycard pic so you can set it after, but do you compare it next to the screen or is there a value you should set?