Most important: GET WELL SOON MATT! Broken bones are horrible!

(If Muse actually read this... they'd surely be put off by now by all the shit that's been posted here already in this thread! :rolleyes: )

*standing next to Gemsy*

Now to this thread. A lot of you in here should be fucking ASHAMED of yourselves!

All of you who've never broken a bone or had a person close to you break one, shut up immediately. You have no clue what you're talking about.

Everybody who has broken bones knows it fucking hurts, and just as any good sportsman will cancel competitions if he just can't do them (or do them justice), Muse have decided to cancel shows because Matt's probably got doctor's orders to hold that foot quiet and/or he will not be able to put on a good performance.

I certainly remember WINCING every time I turned onto my broken bone for many days - would you all like to see a wincing guy singing along? "Together we're -eek- inWINCEible!" :rolleyes::LOL::facepalm:

A close friend broke a toe once (this is for the case it's really toes he's broken) and yeez she was in severe pain for a while. Impact on your broken bone will often knock you out of your mind/thoughts/concept for a second or more - it's impossible to keep up a show like that. Not everyone will be happy to take painkillers and they might be bad for the performance too.

Matt really could easily have a doctor tape his toes up and get a cortisone injection and do the shows. American football players play with broken bones all the time. I guess he's just not that dedicated. This incident really spotlights Matt's "fuck it" attitude and lack of work ethic. Sippe is right. It's a broken toe -- not even a BIG toe. His hands aren't broken. I'm really starting to think Matt's a dick.

Matt certainly isn't being a dick about this.

While you make a pretty fair point in the first part, I can't possibly imagine that so many things would change because he had to use crutches. Obviously if he broke both his feet or something it would be different, but all it really means now for a gig that is happening next week is that Matt would walk slower.

Cortisone or whatever meds might not be for everybody. I certainly remember vehemently refusing cortisone anywhere near me when I'd had an injury!

And how on earth have many of you imagined he's supposed to play a guitar with crutches?! Have you guys actually ever seen crutches? You hold them with your hands... :facepalm: Even if he sits, or if it works out with a boot thing - how is he supposed to control his pedals?! I doubt he can stand on one foot properly whilst also using it to do the pedalling, he probably won't dare (and shouldn't) put all the weight on the broken foot half the time. :rolleyes:

Go and have a look in the medical thread, I think that's where Quinton posted his 'pretty' picture of his now vertical collarbone... maybe some of you will get a grip then. :rolleyes: (you get well too Quinton!)

I think people were suggesting that he sit in a chair to play, not use crutches.

And I've broken plenty of bones (major ones, too!). Still had to go to work and school. :indiff: hates it.

Some of them yeah, some were suggesting crutches. The other reasons remain though.

I can really understand people being miffed and pissed about the cancellations, but where's their common sense and empathy gone?!

I worked all through with a broken bone too... but I wasn't required to sing songs perfectly, could catch breath whenever I wanted, and if I squirmed in pain for a second or a few, no additional harm would be done... I think Stockholm Syndrome, Uprising and the likes would sound pretty weird with something like that...

Now to this thread. A lot of you in here should be fucking ASHAMED of yourselves!

All of you who've never broken a bone or had a person close to you break one, shut up immediately. You have no clue what you're talking about.

:LOL:

First, yes, I have had a broken foot before. And I still had to go to work.

Second, if Matt knew how to play his cards, he would make this injury work in his favor. It would be the most endearing thing in the world if he were to go out on the stage with a cast on his foot, and just belt into the mic, "The show must go on!" People would go fucking bananas, and he'd make the evening news!

Sometimes I think he may not be so smart. :LOL:

Not everyone will be happy to take painkillers and they might be bad for the performance too.

Very doubtful. VERY doubtful.

Matt certainly isn't being a dick about this.

He is being a wimp, though. :LOL:

I can really understand people being miffed and pissed about the cancellations, but where's their common sense and empathy gone?!

That goes both ways, though! Matt is a wealthy man, and can afford to cancel a gig. Many of his fans are not wealthy, yet still spent small fortunes on travel and hotel to go see Muse. Where is your empathy for them?

And yes, I suppose Matt doesn't "owe" anyone an apology. But if it were me, and I cancelled a gig under similar circumstances -- where so many people were going to be disappointed, I would feel compelled to apologize.

It may not be an issue of if they want to do the concerts , but if they can.Insurance for instance may be come into play ,and would be void if a band member were to perform with an injury.This may not be a choice Matt has actively made , but one which has been made for him by lawyers and record company execs.

..........However really gutted for all the fans:(

.........also my daughter has had every bone in her foot broken and a cast for 12 wks now thats brave .........Matt ..you need to man up seriously.....I have broken toes ibuprofen and a paracetemol combo keep the foot raised and you,ll be fine:p

Don't hotels and airlines let you cancel as long as you reschedule? It's been a long time since I've flown... but I know they used to.

Still, I can't believe it went right to "hey! here's your money back" instead of them saying "hey, hang on to those tickets, and we'll let you know when we're coming back."

It's true they can't just tell the venue they want X dates... but they certainly should be able to get something at SOME point...

Would have made a lot of people feel a little better, at least.

Whenever I book hotels for gig trips, I always book via websites (in my case, booking.com) which allow you to book with no deposit and cancel without penalty right up until a day or two before you're due to arrive.

Most people who would have been flying to these gigs from the UK and Europe will have booked flights with the likes of Ryanair and Easyjet, great budget airlines (I've flown with both many times and never had any problems). If you need to cancel or amend a booking though, you pretty much have to pay for the flights all over again so that is where it will cost people money.

What should the solution be?

I know rescheduling would be nice. Who is to say they won't? I don't think that's been decided. But if they did, what would that look like? How could they do that without throwing off the rest of the tour?

It looks like maybe there's some time between the end of the European tour and the Japan dates. Assuming the venues have not scheduled anything in those time frames, and the transportation for the crew, the set, the band, and all the other people that would have to go could be arranged, it looks to be the best option...

But I don't know, is something like that feasible? It's a big deal to move around a show of this magnitude but there's several weeks between now and those dates in order to accomplish it...

My gripe would be that even if they do reschedule, I'd have to go through the ticket-buying process all over again and quite possibly not get a ticket. They should be offering people a refund OR the option to keep their tickets for a rescheduled gig.

As for whether or not they should reschedule the gigs, too right they should. Sure, the logistics of doing so may leave them pout of pocket but that's just too bad! They can afford to take the loss far more than most of the fans who will be losing money thanks to the cancellations.

I've also seen people use the excuse, on the band's behalf, that they don't have any gaps in which to stage the cancelled gigs. Not true. There are gaps. It may mean them having to do three gigs on the trot but again, too bad! How many of us work for three hours a day (sound-checking has been lasting for about twenty minutes at recent gigs), three or four days week? Wish I could!

To be honest, I've broken two toes before and I can understand why they've cancelled the gigs (although they could've just played an acoustic/stripped back gig very easily instead). I just think something like "Sorry for this, Swedish and Norwegian fans, we'll try and work something out to make up for this." would've been a bit better than "LOL, broke my toe", "Muse have cancelled their dates in Sweden and Norway."

Quite right...oh wait, pretty much everyone who has been active in this thread HAVE broken a bone.

Everybody who has broken bones knows it fucking hurts, and just as any good sportsman will cancel competitions if he just can't do them (or do them justice),

uhm...

And how on earth have many of you imagined he's supposed to play a guitar with crutches?! Have you guys actually ever seen crutches? You hold them with your hands... :facepalm:

lol

Even if he sits, or if it works out with a boot thing - how is he supposed to control his pedals?!

Brilliant bunch of statements. For your information, this is one of the reasons to why people suggested an acoustic gig.

I'm fucking pissed that I'm missing my first Muse gig. If that makes me a bad person, so be it.

I can understand, too many people are giving him too much sympathy, he broke 1 toe not his entire foot, Matt's a bit of a twat but I think we all knew that already

- how is he supposed to control his pedals?

lol, like I said just before this, he has 2 feet and he broke 1 toe, not his whole foot.

I certainly remember WINCING every time I turned onto my broken bone for many days - would you all like to see a wincing guy singing along? "Together we're -eek- inWINCEible!" :rolleyes::LOL::facepalm:

A close friend broke a toe once (this is for the case it's really toes he's broken) and yeez she was in severe pain for a while. Impact on your broken bone will often knock you out of your mind/thoughts/concept for a second or more - it's impossible to keep up a show like that.

Yeah I bet the pain can get you down after a while.

To be honest, I've broken two toes before and I can understand why they've cancelled the gigs (although they could've just played an acoustic/stripped back gig very easily instead). I just think something like "Sorry for this, Swedish and Norwegian fans, we'll try and work something out to make up for this." would've been a bit better than "LOL, broke my toe", "Muse have cancelled their dates in Sweden and Norway."

It didn't sound like he was laughing on the tweets.

I can understand, too many people are giving him too much sympathy, he broke 1 toe not his entire foot, Matt's a bit of a twat but I think we all knew that already

Sounds like it was his foot actually.

Most important: GET WELL SOON MATT!

Indeed. That's my sentiment as well.

What I'm wondering though, is - if it's like some of you "God stop complaining" people say, that broken legs = no concert because you can play with crutches etc.. then how come the rest of the tour goes as planned? The Helsinki-gig is on the 10th of December, surely the cast isn't gone by then, and the bones still won't have healed?

Just curious why they didn't cancel more dates, that's all, not gonna go all conspiracy theories on this.

Let's be honest though, Matt isn't Kobe Bryant :chuckle:

No he is not :LOL:

Now have the image of Kobe with three snapped off fingers tapped to his hands.

That'd be weird...

Sounds like it was his foot actually.

Well, by looking at the scans it certainly looks like a toe(s)

What I'm wondering though, is - if it's like some of you "God stop complaining" people say, that broken legs = no concert because you can play with crutches etc.. then how come the rest of the tour goes as planned? The Helsinki-gig is on the 10th of December, surely the cast isn't gone by then, and the bones still won't have healed?

Just curious why they didn't cancel more dates, that's all, not gonna go all conspiracy theories on this.

They're probably hoping that the pain will have eased enough to play by then or the doctor has said to rest his foot for the next ten days or something. I reckon they are probably cutting the time he should rest short, basing it on the potential minimum healing time, rather than the other way round. Hence the warning that he might not be well enough for the following gigs.

Archived