• 2 weeks later...

Hello people I have been wanting to make a manson replica for years and I've finally decided to start planning. When i was looking for parts online, i found that you can buy pretty much everything you need (except a neck with the right shape headstock) except the body. SO i decided to learn how to use CAD software to cut some from CNC. So far I have made a 3D Cad of a kaoss/sustainer guitar as that is the kind I want to build, but if anyone was willing to buy, I could do whatever you want to the body (Tune o matic, FF, etc..) but that would take longer. I havent looked around for a place that I could use their CNC router yet, but once i do Ill be able to do a price estimate. Right now i'd guess it would be probably around $200-$300 for a body. Thanks for taking the time to read I'm doing this because I think Manson guitars have the coolest body shape out of any guitars and I want people to be able to play them. feel free to contact me at

tritonseibert@gmail.com

There was a guy on ebay selling unfinished, partially routed alder bodies for $150, but those didn't look all that accurate.

I looked at these but looked like they probably required a fair bit more work, betterstarting afresh I thought. He also sold a few unfinished necks around $80?, with a manson style headstock, but with fretboard markers.

heres what it looks like i just need to add the little ledge around the control cavity and its done

eI8b869.png

You may need additional knobs? One for the 'optional' kaoss pad program selector. And another for the 'optional' FSK-401 sustainer level control knob.

Just about complete my own build. Dug into some cad software too. Was complicated a bit due to my requirement for a whammy bar :)

8DfpMv4.png

I looked at these but looked like they probably required a fair bit more work, betterstarting afresh I thought. He also sold a few unfinished necks around $80?, with a manson style headstock, but with fretboard markers.

Yeah I saw those as well. I can't tell if that's masking tape on the fretboard or just a really nasty looking piece of rosewood.

But yeah, it probably makes more sense to start from the ground up if you can. You get to choose the source and type of wood, and you wouldn't risk having any issues with compatibility and whatever else can go wrong if you buy a partially routed body.

I could understand not wanting to build the neck though, but I suppose it's possible to build a body around that without any problems.

Edit: That is impressive. Post some pictures in the luthier-y thread when it's completed!

I see you also figured out that the 16th fret lines up right with the body! I only added one extra knob for the kaoss pad rotary encoder in the place that the sustainer gain would be. I wanted to keep it as clean as possible. Also for a body to only be $150 I would say its probably crap. A good blank costs around $100 but who knows sometimes you get lucky. I know on my cad drawing im as precise as possible, I emailed amptone labs and sustainiac asking about the different size holes and stuff I'd need, thats why the third hole for a knob is smaller. also that tremolo body looks sick I eventually want to make one like that too!

Heres some better pics:

You should post your progress in the General Luthiery Thread. Save cluttering up this thread with feedback. But while I'm here, I originally didn't notice the smaller hole you have for the amptone labs rotary encoder, but I think it's a bit on the small side. I have fitted this on one of my guitars, and pretty sure it needed an 8mm diameter hole, like the other pots. The size you have looks around the size of the centre rotating shaft.

You should post your progress in the General Luthiery Thread. Save cluttering up this thread with feedback. But while I'm here, I originally didn't notice the smaller hole you have for the amptone labs rotary encoder, but I think it's a bit on the small side. I have fitted this on one of my guitars, and pretty sure it needed an 8mm diameter hole, like the other pots. The size you have looks around the size of the centre rotating shaft.

You think its too small? I might have to fix it I emailed amptone lab and they said it was 6.7 mm but maybe they were talking about the shaft.

You think its too small? I might have to fix it I emailed amptone lab and they said it was 6.7 mm but maybe they were talking about the shaft.

Just checked. You are right, 6.7mm. The shaft is only slightly smaller. :rolleyes:

The fernendes tone/volume knobs are around 7.7mm