matthijs

In my opinion I would get the XY Pad, seeing as you already have two standard-ish models. I wouldn't need a pad and that's why I made sure my "First" Manson was entirely what I would use, so it could replace all my other guitars. On the other hand it opens up a whole realm of effects and looks cool as fuck :LOL:

I'm interested in how the bridge affects the sound, Wouldn't it be more twangy? as it's pretty much been changed from a Les Paul set up to a tele?

Question about having the FF built into a guitar: For PiB, since the Phase 90 goes *before* the Fuzz, does it mean that you'd need both phaser and fuzz for a PiB guitar? If there's only a Fuzz and no phaser, it can do most things but not PiB though, is that right?

Question about having the FF built into a guitar: For PiB, since the Phase 90 goes *before* the Fuzz, does it mean that you'd need both phaser and fuzz for a PiB guitar? If there's only a Fuzz and no phaser, it can do most things but not PiB though, is that right?

It's probably not worth it since I read that nobody's really sure if the FF is used much anymore apart from squealing. On the contrary there was that article which mentioned the FF was used a lot when recording Drones.

For practicality I think the main reason to have the FF in your guitar other than it being after phase is for squealing, although you could always just get the fuzz probe which is almost the same.

I'm sure external FF -> Phase -> Reverb will do a decent job of Plug in Baby even if it's not exactly the same.

Just going to point out that there's a lot more to both the FF and the XY than you get from Muse stuff. If that's your main concern at the moment though, then for the record, I play PIB from time to time on my custom with no phaser whatsoever, and it sounds wonderful.

Why wouldn't it be able to? You might not get the exact sound he has, but you can still get relatively close.

For what it's worth, the studio version doesn't actually have phaser.

Just going to point out that there's a lot more to both the FF and the XY than you get from Muse stuff. If that's your main concern at the moment though, then for the record, I play PIB from time to time on my custom with no phaser whatsoever, and it sounds wonderful.

Yeah definitely. The X-Y pad is far more useful to me, but the FF does have some uses with random oscillation noises.

also this

:chuckle:

It's probably not worth it since I read that nobody's really sure if the FF is used much anymore apart from squealing. On the contrary there was that article which mentioned the FF was used a lot when recording Drones.

Not sure which article that is, but I think he still uses it live as well - there have been pictures of his rack setup, and he's still got a vexter FF in one of the drawers...along with that JHS colour box that he was using in the studio, but I'm not sure how he uses it live exactly.

When I hear back about how much it would cost. :chuckle:

Nah, it's really not that different to my last one really. Screen instead of FF and 13 pin stuff, fixed bridge instead of trem, and a gloss finish instead of all the aluminium. Thinking of a subtle black burst at the moment, but have to see. I considered black glitter, but I think I've got enough sparkles, so I don't mind have something a bit more sedate, haha!

I'd say, if you don't think you need the screen, and you want a guitar with a trem, then go for that. If you get a FF in there as well, take some time to explore it, as there's a lot more to it than what you get from the occasional Muse song. It's really quite useful in my opinion. The screen goes through batteries pretty quickly as well, so if you're not using it much, then that could be a bit of a pain (it was for me before I had my MB-1 modded), whereas the FF will last for ages.

Oooooooo can't wait to see what you end up coming with as the final spec for the finish! Yeah I listen to a fair few other artists who use a fuzz factory and I think potentially for me it might be a better idea as it'd be less of a gimmick than the screen. Might go for the trem and the fuzz factory and leave the sustainer out on this one if I go for the copper finish.

I will keep you all informed. He needs to copy me on the email(s) he sends to Mansons with the spec, as it will need to be approved by me before he sends the deposit.

Why? I did help him plan a decent amount of his last guitar... though I can't take credit for the tragic bridge.

Unless it's like that one I ordered a little under two months ago, which is 95% done from the sound of things :ninja:

Haha the infamous bridge! Jesus two months?? Last time I enquired they were reckoning up to a year for a full custom! Although i suppose they were pretty busy with a bunch of new ones for MB back then.

Oooooooo can't wait to see what you end up coming with as the final spec for the finish! Yeah I listen to a fair few other artists who use a fuzz factory and I think potentially for me it might be a better idea as it'd be less of a gimmick than the screen. Might go for the trem and the fuzz factory and leave the sustainer out on this one if I go for the copper finish.

Haha the infamous bridge! Jesus two months?? Last time I enquired they were reckoning up to a year for a full custom! Although i suppose they were pretty busy with a bunch of new ones for MB back then.

If you're not getting the sustainiac might as well get the P90 neck amirite? :D

That's fair enough. I don't think I know a whole lot of other artists that use fuzz factories now that I think about it....this immediately came to mind though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrkisK0hz8I

Especially because of the noises at the beginning :ninja: Was this recorded before OOS though? That is the question... maybe Bs knows.

And to be fair, it's probably the most stripped down one I've ordered so far. Neck was already made as well.

I think you'd still be waiting at least 6-8 months for a full custom that's a bit more like what they usually do

I'd be happy to wait tbh gives me more time to sort the funds out :rolleyes:

Will depend on what happens with this audition I had a few weeks back. If I get the work and end up off on tour I'm considering buying a Cort instead to take on tour so I don't risk breaking one of the Manson's while flying and getting an order for another Manson in towards the end of the year instead.

Why wouldn't it be able to? You might not get the exact sound he has, but you can still get relatively close.

Yeah definitely. The X-Y pad is far more useful to me, but the FF does have some uses with random oscillation noises.

also this

:chuckle:

Not sure which article that is, but I think he still uses it live as well - there have been pictures of his rack setup, and he's still got a vexter FF in one of the drawers...along with that JHS colour box that he was using in the studio, but I'm not sure how he uses it live exactly.

This article here says it was used a lot alongside a few other pedals including the JHS.

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/oct15/articles/inside-track-1015.htm

This article here says it was used a lot alongside a few other pedals including the JHS.

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/oct15/articles/inside-track-1015.htm

Thanks, need to read through all of it, but it's already left me with several questions about his amps and pedals..

I like the fact the deluxe is less flimsy and more comfortable.

yeah, though I don't think the standard is flimsy. I used the same one for about three years and it wasn't falling apart or anything, but it was certainly getting worn down.

Not bad though - probably had a longer life than most. I had it up until about a year ago when it got thrown away with a bunch of other stuff... wish I'd kept it as that was my first ever purchase from them

Pretty cool article: http://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/matt-bellamys-custom-manson-guitars-in-pictures-623731

"He hasn't dropped it or smashed it, which is lucky."

Ahh. How do you control the 3 FF knobs that aren't on the front of the guitar?

Pretty cool article: http://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/matt-bellamys-custom-manson-guitars-in-pictures-623731

You can adjust them internally. They're still attached to the FF circuit board.

And I remember that. I think I picked up the hardcopy of the magazine with that article last year... if it's the same one I'm thinking of (didn't read through everything in the link), some of the information is pretty questionable.

I like the fact the deluxe is less flimsy and more comfortable.

This ^

I have both and the standard is more of an aggravation to get the height right, unlike the deluxe where I can just loop it through the very first nudge and it's set perfectly. The standard I have to go one extra nudge to get the perfect height, and that causes unsightly warping in the strap itself. Plus the deluxe is better looking aesthetically, more Matt too ;)

Still don't know how Matt has it from the 4th nudge down with only one loop and still get his preferred length though, because I tried that and it's way too low. Did Mansons have shorter strap thingies back then?

Trimpots

Thanks, need to read through all of it, but it's already left me with several questions about his amps and pedals..

Yeah who really knows what is used for what haha there's just so much gear.

yeah, though I don't think the standard is flimsy. I used the same one for about three years and it wasn't falling apart or anything, but it was certainly getting worn down.

Not bad though - probably had a longer life than most. I had it up until about a year ago when it got thrown away with a bunch of other stuff... wish I'd kept it as that was my first ever purchase from them

This ^

I have both and the standard is more of an aggravation to get the height right, unlike the deluxe where I can just loop it through the very first nudge and it's set perfectly. The standard I have to go one extra nudge to get the perfect height, and that causes unsightly warping in the strap itself. Plus the deluxe is better looking aesthetically, more Matt too ;)

Still don't know how Matt has it from the 4th nudge down with only one loop and still get his preferred length though, because I tried that and it's way too low. Did Mansons have shorter strap thingies back then?

Yeah this is what I meant the strap used to warp a lot which was a pain.

I just find that the deluxe strap FEELS like I'm wearing a big leather strap, maybe it's a break in period but I always gravitate to the standard.

You should try a Heistercamp strap - these are what I'd consider big.

Yeah this is what I meant the strap used to warp a lot which was a pain.

You mean the part where you adjust the length? They tend to do that when they're really broken in, but I haven't had a deluxe with that issue yet.

Archived