matthijs

I think I must be in the minority here that really do not like the look of the DR guitars. The whole finish and aesthetic just look a bit tacky to me?

That black strap with the green backing is definitely a nice touch though

I don't like the look of it either, especially with the writing on

I'll accept white and sunburst, I'll stretch to blue. Besides that you're struggling sadly.

3 tone sunburst > fiesta red > target burst > white > aloha finish > black > 2 tone sunburst > lake placid blue > every other color

COME AT ME

3 tone sunburst > fiesta red > target burst > white > aloha finish > black > 2 tone sunburst > lake placid blue > every other color

COME AT ME

:srsb33f::srsb33f::srsb33f::srsb33f::twitchy:

Will you get it before you're over here?

Haha I guess I'm a bit biased. Hendrix was the one that got me into playing guitar, and he was always playing a target burst of some sort in my favorite era of his music.

Of course, he always destroyed the sunburst ones, rather than the black or white ones :rolleyes:

Haha I guess I'm a bit biased. Hendrix was the one that got me into playing guitar, and he was always playing a target burst of some sort in my favorite era of his music.

Of course, he always destroyed the sunburst ones, rather than the black or white ones :rolleyes:

I'm a huge, huge Hendrix fan. He mostly played the white and black ones from what I recall, certsibky once he got back to the USA. I don't think I've seen any colour images of any sunburst guitars? All the sunbursts he had were subsequently set fire or destroyed. I think that tells you something ;)

No love for surf green strats?

surf-green.jpg

Shame EJD hasn't posted in about a year. He'd LOVE that.

Check out the original Japanese Aerodyne Strat in black. You'll dig it.

I didn't like that one. On the other hand, the mirror pickguard version looks pretty cool... #soulpower

I'm a huge, huge Hendrix fan. He mostly played the white and black ones from what I recall, certsibky once he got back to the USA. I don't think I've seen any colour images of any sunburst guitars? All the sunbursts he had were subsequently set fire or destroyed. I think that tells you something ;)

It probably does! From what I can tell, he used the sunburst ones a lot more before he came back to the US, but would still use them on and off up until 1969... but then he didn't really destroy any guitars after the experience ended.

And here you go... one of the most disgusting target bursts I've seen :awesome:

http://media.gettyimages.com/photos/jimi-hendrix-performs-on-stage-at-the-star-club-on-18th-march-1967-in-picture-id106882987

I don't think there's any real preference on Hendrix's part with regards to the colour, he just used what was available and what played nice. In the UK, he would have used the sunbursts because they were what was available as that was the standard colour, and the vast majority of Strats imported were sunbursts like Buddy Holly's.

From what I gather, he favoured the slimmer A spec neck, which has the smaller nut width, which I guess is better for his thumb over the top style. Certainly, his favoured black and white Strats from his later period were both narrow nut models.

I don't think there's any real preference on Hendrix's part with regards to the colour, he just used what was available and what played nice. In the UK, he would have used the sunbursts because they were what was available as that was the standard colour, and the vast majority of Strats imported were sunbursts like Buddy Holly's.

From what I gather, he favoured the slimmer A spec neck, which has the smaller nut width, which I guess is better for his thumb over the top style. Certainly, his favoured black and white Strats from his later period were both narrow nut models.

That's interesting. It makes sense, as sunburst did seem like a common color at the time. I always thought they looked much nicer than the black or white ones though, but that's just me.

As for the nut width, what are the more narrow ones exactly? If it's the same as the '73 I have, it feels almost a little too narrow - and the neck on this guitar isn't exactly thin either, so it's not like you can't wrap your hand around it properly.

Also, just for you...

YiSQAOR.jpg?1

I don't know what color this is, but supposedly it's original. I think it was a '63, but I'm probably wrong. Definitely pre-CBS though.

It was for sale in London last year for around 20 grand... for that reason, I didn't get within a certain distance of it, but I did hear one guy playing it. Didn't sound like anything particularly special :$

That's interesting. It makes sense, as sunburst did seem like a common color at the time. I always thought they looked much nicer than the black or white ones though, but that's just me.

As for the nut width, what are the more narrow ones exactly? If it's the same as the '73 I have, it feels almost a little too narrow - and the neck on this guitar isn't exactly thin either, so it's not like you can't wrap your hand around it properly.

Also, just for you...

YiSQAOR.jpg?1

I don't know what color this is, but supposedly it's original. I think it was a '63, but I'm probably wrong. Definitely pre-CBS though.

It was for sale in London last year for around 20 grand... for that reason, I didn't get within a certain distance of it, but I did hear one guy playing it. Didn't sound like anything particularly special :$

I know what guitar that is, I was in that shop last summer and it was in the window. That pic doesn't do it justice. The guy who served me (called Brandy?!) asked if I wanted to try it but I turned it down :( Did try a couple of nice Tele's and a jag though, but they all needed fret work (and one was a refin) which would ruin their value so was a bit disappointing really.

Vintage Fender necks could be ordered in three standard widths, A-D, with A being the narrowest and C the fattest. A was typically used on the student models likesuchas the Duosonic. Almost all of the necks made in the 60's to early 70's were B's I think, which is 42mm at the nut. Modern strats typically use a 43mm nut width, whereas a LP is usually 44 or more.

http://www.fretboard.com/fenderneckclarity.html

I know what guitar that is, I was in that shop last summer and it was in the window. That pic doesn't do it justice. The guy who served me (called Brandy?!) asked if I wanted to try it but I turned it down :( Did try a couple of nice Tele's and a jag though, but they all needed fret work (and one was a refin) which would ruin their value so was a bit disappointing really.

Vintage Fender necks could be ordered in three standard widths, A-D, with A being the narrowest and C the fattest. A was typically used on the student models likesuchas the Duosonic. Almost all of the necks made in the 60's to early 70's were B's I think, which is 42mm at the nut. Modern strats typically use a 43mm nut width, whereas a LP is usually 44 or more.

http://www.fretboard.com/fenderneckclarity.html

Yeah that's the thing about the old guitars. I had my '73 re-fretted, but it was almost unplayable before that. It's probably worth a bit less now, but at least it plays properly!

And I didn't realize that you could order them in different sizes. I guess B makes sense, as it's not a duo sonic/short scale sort of feel, but the overall feel is a bit 'smaller' than a modern strat. I think a lot of that has to do with the shape of the neck though

Sorry to throw off the topic of strats (which I love)

How come you don't think the Matt black is a stage guitar James? For me it's the tuners alone (standard 510 not machine heads) maybe it's just old parts all put together?

Sorry to throw off the topic of strats (which I love)

How come you don't think the Matt black is a stage guitar James? For me it's the tuners alone (standard 510 not machine heads) maybe it's just old parts all put together?

There were the machine heads and a few other differences that set it apart from the ones he plays on stage. I was thinking the same thing about it being put together from old parts. Hard to say though.

One person who played it said it was really lightweight, so it's probably the same as what he plays, but not one of the guitars he actually used on stage.

Archived