matthijs

Got any headstock pics Bs? I wanna see how the logo and everything looks now it's finished. Haven't been able to see it on any of your pics.

goliath.jpg

I don't think the bridge affects the sustainiac at all. I have the 7 string with the metal finish and sustainiac, and that one squeals to the point of nearly being unusable in 2 of 3 modes. I think the only guitar the sustainiac acts "normal" in is the one zooropa built me, but maybe they changed something recently

that sounds godly honestly, can't wait to see it! Very glad you went with black hardware etc, a friend of mine had a custom guitar built from a guy over here in silver burst and had gold hardware which just looked honestly atrocious

What do you think about black chrome hardware on a silver burst finish? It's either that or plain/solid black, but this guitar is hard enough to imagine as it is.

Got any headstock pics Bs? I wanna see how the logo and everything looks now it's finished. Haven't been able to see it on any of your pics.

Hey Phill, sorry for the delay - I don't really have any good headstock pictures at the moment it seems, so I'll try and get some more tomorrow, but I'll put these up in the meantime.

_DSC0194_zps455a73b5.jpg

_DSC0192_zps1a44b96b.jpg

I'll try and get something better that shows the logo more closely if you like.

Had one of the strings detune itself somehow the other night between songs (from D down to about A#/Bb), not exactly sure how. I didn't have the right allen key to hand, so I picked up the MB-1 to play for the first time since I got back. It's so light in comparison, haha!!! It felt like I was barely holding anything at all, but somehow, while not exactly a bad guitar to have as backup, it did leave me wanting for the first time since I got it. I don't think I've ever felt it sounded so dry. The custom just has so much crunch to it, and all the cavities give it this kind of natural reverb, that playing the MB-1 made me want more somehow. The custom's almost perfect in playing and feeling exactly how I want it to, so it was a bit strange going back to something that I hadn't designed, I guess.

I retuned the string in question no problem last night though. I've heard a lot about the problems of retuning floating trems, but it took less than two minutes, and it balanced itself out again straight away. I'm guessing a full string change would be a different matter, but it's still encouraging. The bridge really is fantastic in general to be honest. The tension is high enough that when I'm not using it intentionally, it's just like playing with a fixed bridge, but low enough that whenever I want to add some vibrato, it moves with no problem at all. It's not really one for string loosening dive bombs with the kind of tension that's there, but as I don't really plan on that anyway, and I have as much leeway as I need within the range available, I couldn't really be much happier with it.

Headstock looks good. I like the engraved logo.

Changing strings is easiest to remove, replace and retune one string at a time to keep the tension and balance the same. If you take them all off its a long process to get them all retuned and balanced as every time you tune up the next string it'll pull the bridge up and take a little tension off the string you tuned before.

Yeah, I think it's kind of sandblasted on or something, so it kind of glitters silver in the right light. It's a bit hard to show it though obviously because in other light, it's almost invisible. It depends on the light hitting the rest of it.

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. I noticed that as soon as I tuned that one string back up to pitch, the whole bridge realigned itself and everything was in tune again. Not sure what happened to knock it out in the first place, might just have been a jolt in string tension or something. Seems simple enough though. Will just have to remember to be careful when changing them.

Yellow sparkles sounds very minimilistic! :chuckle:

I love the stealth logo. Minimalism FTW.

Tim takes full credit for that one, I never would have even thought about it.

dsc0022eo.jpg

He did it as a test, I think, early on, and when I saw it, I loved it so much, I had to have it on the final thing.

New guitars all round! I didn't have any time today for any videos of guitar and pedalboard unfortunately so they're going to have to wait. At the very latest, I'll try and do something on Wednesday 15th - I'm not sure I'm going to have time before then. Interestingly though, remember that parallel oscillation option I talked about for the Fuzz Factory ages ago, that ultimately would have been a bit too complicated to put in there? Well...it's in there, haha! I was fiddling about with settings, and had an idea about it, tested it, and it worked - I love that there's so many combinations of settings that I've found 2 or 3 hidden bonuses in there now to top it all off. Will be getting the switches sorted out next week it seems, then videos will follow.

MAGIC BRIDGE had issues primarily in getting enough pressure on the piezo, this has been modified to work now BUT it limits the amount of whammying allowed.

It's accurate, but the bridge is pretty much faultless actually - no problems playing with that at all as it turns out thankfully.

It's not really one for string loosening dive bombs with the kind of tension that's there, but as I don't really plan on that anyway, and I have as much leeway as I need within the range available

AHA! MY description was FAULTLESS. I was most excited about dive bombs when I asked for a tremolo on mine, the one on the parker p38 didn't seem like you could do crazy dives so when I got my custom I was diving bombs like a motherbitch.

Nice to see more combinations on the guitar, would be keen to see one sock that showcases it all.

Well, no, actually your description was wrong. It's nothing to do with the piezo saddles limiting the amount the bridge can move, it's just the amount of tension from having 7 strings. I could do it if I wanted, and it would work, but I'd have to really push it hard, and it's not something I really want to do anyway. The bridge and its modifications work perfectly. Good thing too.

Haha, I don't know, I'm not sure they've got enough trees...

I was supposed to get the certificate a week and a half ago, but I'll see if I can get it next week.

I only received the certificate with my first custom from what I remember. All others have come shortly afterwards. Though they've always included them with the signature guitars it seems

I only received the certificate with my first custom from what I remember. All others have come shortly afterwards. Though they've always included them with the signature guitars it seems

It was supposed to be done the day it would have been sent out, but then I collected it a few days earlier and they hadn't done it yet. I should have received in the post by now otherwise, but as I need to go down to get some of the switches sorted out, maybe they're waiting for that.

Does that mean you're getting one or not? :ninja:

It was supposed to be done the day it would have been sent out, but then I collected it a few days earlier and they hadn't done it yet. I should have received in the post by now otherwise, but as I need to go down to get some of the switches sorted out, maybe they're waiting for that.

They had to arrange a special courier for it.

flatbed-truck-18-wheeler-cwlna1u8.jpg

Well, no, actually your description was wrong. It's nothing to do with the piezo saddles limiting the amount the bridge can move, it's just the amount of tension from having 7 strings. I could do it if I wanted, and it would work, but I'd have to really push it hard, and it's not something I really want to do anyway. The bridge and its modifications work perfectly. Good thing too.

There's not enough pressure from the strings on the piezo saddles so either he increases the tension on the springs to increase the pressure but I get less viable movement of the trem, or I can't use the piezo/synth stuff with the trem or something which was the whole point.

thought I was imagining all of this! Having said that my 7 string has piezo too and I didn't notice much pressure / tension going on, maybe because it's a fixed bridge, but yeah. Stop messing with my memory, that's probably pre fix so I'm assuming that was resolved but nonetheless, description was PERFECT (and now with REFERENCES) up into the really convoluted fix magic bridge man made to the bridge (because it's not like Mansons are going to add that bit to the certificate are they?)

Archived