matthijs

I'll need to email them again, I've caught the bug and I doubt I'll ever shake it

Welcome to the club. :chuckle:

I remember well my obsession with getting the MB-1, haha! Damn you and your photos, James! :LOL:

No idea

And nah, only with the red glitter finish which is reserved for the MB-1. They've done some glitter refinishes on MAs (a common one is black with holographic glitter)

I wonder if thats the case now considering they're doing the full size XY. Seems silly to not offer red glitter now.

It's intriguing, isn't it? I've enquired about the possibility of a darker, scarlet red glitter finish, as well as removing the pickguard, although this perhaps may be less likely depending on the location of the electronics. I'll keep you posted on the results.

I wonder if thats the case now considering they're doing the full size XY. Seems silly to not offer red glitter now.

Yeah. I can't remember if the X-Y pad was something that was originally designed for Matt or not. Somehow I'm thinking it wasn't, unless he actually wanted to put a kaoss pad inside a guitar and they had to find a proper way to do it (like when he wanted to build a whammy inside 007)

It's intriguing, isn't it? I've enquired about the possibility of a darker, scarlet red gliter finish, as well as removing the pickguard, although this perhaps may be less likely depending on the location of the electronics. I'll keep you posted on the results.

a bit like this?

93.jpg

Got a bit emotional when I saw Neil's potatocaster when searching for this picture. :$

And I don't think the pickguard can be removed, as they're front routed.

Ah I see, that makes sense, and perhaps even darker than that, although even that is making me salivate.

I wonder if I'll bother with a glitter re-finish if the pickguard is there, unless it is incorporated with the colour scheme. A black pickguard over the top of the red glitter might look stupid.

EDIT: After faffing around on photoshop for a while, I've managed to produce a pretty shoddy idea of what it might look like. It gets the idea across at least.

yytw.png

Any thoughts?

Any thoughts?

It's got more knobs than mine! :LOL:

What's there apart from volume and fuzz factory controls? Are you planning on having sustainer intensity and so on all mounted? You could probably cut down on a few of them if you don't need them, but then I don't think you really need a neck pickup as well as the sustainer in my humble opinion. The sustainer sounds more than good enough for a neck pickup unless you really absolutely want to have a very specific sound that you have in mind. Also, any reason you're going with the hardtail bridge if you're not having the XY screen? TOM would be better all round, no? Personally I think it looks a bit 'busy', and that's coming from someone with a custom as packed full as mine, haha! I'm pretty sure they receive the MA bodies already routed, so you'd have to go the custom route to get one without a pickguard I think, which would be at least £1000 more expensive. It depends how important that and the finish is to you. I don't think you'll get a non-MB red glitter finish from Mansons, so you might want to think of other options or colours.

Edit ~ Sorry, I assumed it was your picture from the get go, so not sure how much of it you are actually planning on.

Yeah. I can't remember if the X-Y pad was something that was originally designed for Matt or not. Somehow I'm thinking it wasn't, unless he actually wanted to put a kaoss pad inside a guitar and they had to find a proper way to do it (like when he wanted to build a whammy inside 007)

I always thought that was the story from Hugh - Matt wanted to be able to control a Kaoss Pad from the guitar, and it was obviously impractical to put the whole thing in, so they went the MIDI route. I'm sure I've read that a few times. I think they've been disappointed with how he ended up using it though, from the impression I got when I spoke to them last.

It's got more knobs than mine! :LOL:

What's there apart from volume and fuzz factory controls? Are you planning on having sustainer intensity and so on all mounted? You could probably cut down on a few of them if you don't need them, but then I don't think you really need a neck pickup as well as the sustainer in my humble opinion. The sustainer sounds more than good enough for a neck pickup unless you really absolutely want to have a very specific sound that you have in mind. Also, any reason you're going with the hardtail bridge if you're not having the XY screen? TOM would be better all round, no? Personally I think it looks a bit 'busy', and that's coming from someone with a custom as packed full as mine, haha! I'm pretty sure they receive the MA bodies already routed, so you'd have to go the custom route to get one without a pickguard I think, which would be at least £1000 more expensive. It depends how important that and the finish is to you. I don't think you'll get a non-MB red glitter finish from Mansons, so you might want to think of other options or colours.

Edit ~ Sorry, I assumed it was your picture from the get go, so not sure how much of it you are actually planning on.

I always thought that was the story from Hugh - Matt wanted to be able to control a Kaoss Pad from the guitar, and it was obviously impractical to put the whole thing in, so they went the MIDI route. I'm sure I've read that a few times. I think they've been disappointed with how he ended up using it though, from the impression I got when I spoke to them last.

Yours is still busier though! Also, I think you'll like the sound of the sustainiac as a neck pickup. I've always found the sustainer to sound a bit dull or something... like it doesn't really have that high end sparkle, but the sustainiac does a good job of emulating a 'normal' neck pickup.

As for the kaoss pad, I know that was the case with the MIDI strip

Matt came to me and said, ‘Can you build a guitar with a whammy pedal in it?’ I thought for moment and said, ‘Of course we can‘. Then I looked at the back of a whammy pedal and realised it draws a lot of power. Unless he wanted a guitar full of batteries that he could only use for 40 seconds, it wasn't gonna work. Then I realised the modern whammy has a MIDI controller system with it, so I went to a great friend of mine, Ron Joyce, who does all my weird electronic stuff, and said, ‘I want to control that pedal from this guitar’. He said, All you need is a pot. I looked in to pots but realised that rotary pots gave the wrong feel. Eventually we came up with the linear pot from the side of a keyboard, which acts as a MIDI controller pad and goes in to a microprocessor to control the whammy. It just number crunches MIDI numbers -you tell it what you want it to do and it'll do it. It'll control a whammy pedal, it'll control a kaoss pad, it'll turn the lights up and down, it'll turn your heated blanket on, whatever you want in terms of MIDI. I don't think anyone's done that in a guitar before.

I don't recall hearing anything like that about the X-Y pad, but that must have been the case if they were exclusive to him for a long time. It's hard to tell, as I always thought the M1D1 and Simno E shape were built before his first X-Y guitar.

I already love the Fernandes pickup to be honest, and I know the Sustainiac has a reputation of sounding even better, so I'll be nicely sorted - I do love my neck pick up tones, haha!

Yeah, that might have been it - I thought I'd read something somewhere where he'd said Matt had come to him wanting to control the Kaoss Pad from the guitar too, but with M1D1 being the first and being made for review and customer sale, it doesn't quite add up, haha! I guess they became exclusive because Matt made it his 'thing', and they had a signature series to sell.

Yeah, the fernandes sounds good, but is a bit different from a standard neck pickup. I'll make a comparison clip for you later featuring some slow jazz :ninja:

Hopefully you won't have much of an issue with the squealing though. It's a bit of an issue on the 7 string musecasters just built me, but it's still usable I guess

Yeah, the fernandes sounds good, but is a bit different from a standard neck pickup. I'll make a comparison clip for you later featuring some slow jazz :ninja:

Hopefully you won't have much of an issue with the squealing though. It's a bit of an issue on the 7 string musecasters just built me, but it's still usable I guess

Yeah, I know it's bit different from a standard pickup, probably particularly in terms of the clean sounds, I imagine there's a bit less clarity there from memory, but it works fantastic with my overdrive tones I find. With the bridge pickup having so much attack, I like that the neck comes out a bit softer, which gives a nice balance with the middle position too.

I can't remember exactly what they said about the squealing to be honest. I think there's a little on the harmonic modes, but fundamental should be fine. I think it's relatively minor though, which I can probably accept as long as it's not too distracting. Otherwise, I've still got the MB for harmonic stuff, and I've still got the normal sustainer use for the trem and midi and so on on the custom.

*sigh* I wants it. :(

Ali-ANGLE_zps3a7c2d11.png

More than 3 years, I've been waiting for my baby, haha! :chuckle:

Ha! Yeah Bs unfortunately I think you've taken my mash-up too seriously! I wouldn't dare take your knob-crown away from you :LOL:

A black anodized aluminium pickguard would look pretty good on the red glitter. If you want an MA shape with no pickguard you'd probably need to order a custom.

I still really want a customised MA-2. #soon

Now you're speaking my language ;)

A black anodized aluminium pickguard would look pretty good on the red glitter. If you want an MA shape with no pickguard you'd probably need to order a custom.

I still really want a customised MA-2. #soon

Buy my vile orange MA-2. It has a massive crater on the back from when I dropped it, so I can offer it at a discount price :batman:

Yeah, I know it's bit different from a standard pickup, probably particularly in terms of the clean sounds, I imagine there's a bit less clarity there from memory, but it works fantastic with my overdrive tones I find. With the bridge pickup having so much attack, I like that the neck comes out a bit softer, which gives a nice balance with the middle position too.

I can't remember exactly what they said about the squealing to be honest. I think there's a little on the harmonic modes, but fundamental should be fine. I think it's relatively minor though, which I can probably accept as long as it's not too distracting. Otherwise, I've still got the MB for harmonic stuff, and I've still got the normal sustainer use for the trem and midi and so on on the custom.

*sigh* I wants it. :(

More than 3 years, I've been waiting for my baby, haha! :chuckle:

Yeah definitely. I've never really used the middle position until recently though (not sure why) but it has a pretty nice sound I guess.

What are your overdrive tones like? I can't help but think it's really bright with the MB-1 and D1 setup.

Well, what can I say? :eyebrows:

Yes yes, we know you're the knob man, but you certainly have some competition

21.jpg

Yes yes, we know you're the knob man, but you certainly have some competition

21.jpg

So many knobs :eek: who thought that was a good idea! I can only imagine the delay between songs...

Just wait a minute I just have to adjust my hundreds of knobs and switches!

Untitled.jpg~original

Might be a better idea to have these sent out with that bass

Has anyone tried the finish restorer? Going to try it on that massive gouge on the back of my MB-1.

I didn't even know Mansons did cables, haha! I use the finish restorer on my MB-1 from time to time and it works pretty well in making scratches less noticeable and so on. It just depends how much patience you have really. I tend to just do it for a little while when I change strings and stuff, same with the lemon oil on the fretboard. It does a pretty good job anyway. It'll depend on the damage I suppose.

What are your overdrive tones like? I can't help but think it's really bright with the MB-1 and D1 setup.

7ipWYL6o_N8

I think I was pretty much making that one up as I went along, haha! I didn't really plan it - I should probably do a better one when I get back, as that one was a kind of spur of the moment thing where I just felt like playing it, and I didn't really have everything set up properly. It seemed to come out alright though so I put it up until I got round to doing a better one.

I didn't even know Mansons did cables, haha! I use the finish restorer on my MB-1 from time to time and it works pretty well in making scratches less noticeable and so on. It just depends how much patience you have really. I tend to just do it for a little while when I change strings and stuff, same with the lemon oil on the fretboard. It does a pretty good job anyway. It'll depend on the damage I suppose.

That doesn't sound too bright, but then you have those other effects going too

I think it would work on something like what I posted the other day. It took me a while to actually find it to photograph for you, but I knew it was still there...

And yes, I suggest you get some of them. They're almost as thick as my speaker cables (not counting the one from sherpa_man which is massive). Shame they don't do patch cables though, but that would mean redoing your entire board

I don't think it sounds particularly bright really. The amp settings basically balance everything out, and then the effects just go on top of that. On the cables front, I had to disconnect everything before I left anyway to put it all away so I'll have to rewire it all back up once I'm home again anyway, but yeah, I don't know. I already have a bunch of spare cables to be honest. I might get a couple of the straight to right angled Mansons cables for going to and from the effects loop I suppose, as I only have straight to straight at the moment, which takes up a bit of extra space. Then I have more spare cables to sell though. I'll probably have like £100 worth of cables I don't need. :$

So many knobs :eek: who thought that was a good idea! I can only imagine the delay between songs...

Just wait a minute I just have to adjust my hundreds of knobs and switches!

And the placement. Can't help but think the ones near the forearm contour would get in the way, and then the sustainer switches getting knocked while strumming

If it wasn't orange I'd be very tempted!

I bet you're the type that would prefer an Orange amp with black covering. It just doesn't sound the same. :nerd:

But yeah, it's a bit of a weird looking orange. Not even sure how to describe it.

I don't think it sounds particularly bright really. The amp settings basically balance everything out, and then the effects just go on top of that. On the cables front, I had to disconnect everything before I left anyway to put it all away so I'll have to rewire it all back up once I'm home again anyway, but yeah, I don't know. I already have a bunch of spare cables to be honest. I might get a couple of the straight to right angled Mansons cables for going to and from the effects loop I suppose, as I only have straight to straight at the moment, which takes up a bit of extra space. Then I have more spare cables to sell though. I'll probably have like £100 worth of cables I don't need. :$

Me neither. Do you have your clean sound set really dark or something?

I've only got the Mansons cables for guitar to pedalboard (angled-straight) and pedalboard to amp (straight-straight). Didn't bother with getting any for the effects loop (using standard procos for that)

Clean sound is pretty much this. Fairly neutral, I think. Tone knob and pickup selection make a big difference depending on if I want it to feel quite soft and kind of acoustic or if I want a lot of clarity and attack.

ZW-1xxgjtN0

tb1F0hpE9II

A bit more clarity when the delay's not there obviously.

Yeah, at the moment I'm just using the Pro Co cables you sent me, but it might make more sense to swap a few of them out in terms of space I guess. The problem then is what to do with the spares though.

Archived