matthijs

And that's interesting. The MIDI strip on that MA-007 had a rotary encoder, but I don't know if that can be done for the X-Y pads. I know the M1N1 had a rotary encoder at first, but was later changed to an up/down switch

Yea that is the only simplistic way I can think of being able to keep the two devices in sync so that it is sending the correct bypass signal.

I think he meant nothing can be done about potential finish damage to the MB-2 except never playing it and putting it in a glass case.

But that's not my style. The shop here had a $5000 Gretsch hollow body in a rotating glass case, and it all seemed a bit pointless. I can't imagine their way of putting it on display was good for it either...but I won't go into that

And that's interesting. The MIDI strip on that MA-007 had a rotary encoder, but I don't know if that can be done for the X-Y pads. I know the M1N1 had a rotary encoder at first, but was later changed to an up/down switch

A rotating glass case, a normal case just won't cut it.

Ever considered making a guitar for art purposes though? Something ridiculously out there that detriments playability due to weight, comfort or whatever but the primary purpose of it is to look good on a wall. Probably not a manson guitar.

A rotating glass case, a normal case just won't cut it.

Ever considered making a guitar for art purposes though? Something ridiculously out there that detriments playability due to weight, comfort or whatever but the primary purpose of it is to look good on a wall. Probably not a manson guitar.

Not really, but I imagine if I attempted to build a guitar to play, it would only be usable for art purposes anyway (we never did find out the scale of the MB-1)

I've already scratched my guitar with the case, that's why I now put it on a stand. Unfortunately that does not prevent it from being damaged...

Here's the worst bit of damage that I actually put on it after nearly four years of owning it

IMG_0363.jpg~original

then there's the sustainer cover too, but that seems to wear down on all of them. I'll just put some duct tape over it to hide everything

IMG_0366.jpg~original

IMG_0363.jpg~original

OH DEAR GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :stunned:

then there's the sustainer cover too, but that seems to wear down on all of them. I'll just put some duct tape over it to hide everything

IMG_0366.jpg~original

I don't feel quite so bad about mine now, but it still bothers me. :$

How much use does your's actually get, given the cavern of guitars that you live in? :erm:

Hi guys,

fascinated by some of the discussions on this thread about the various Mansons on offer. I have a dilemma regarding them and want to see what you all think of it.

I am essentially torn between a genuine Manson MA-2 Blackbird, and a fully custom remake of the MB 2-SE. Both would cost me around the same and while the genuine MB signature series are out of my price range, I was wondering your thoughts on custom guitars and what advice you might give.

The build would emulate the dual P90-bridge layout of the SE with two custom made P90s and a custom hot-rail neck pickup, wired through master volume and tone controls with a three way toggle switch and series/parallel switch, and a coil tap switch for the neck pickup.

Essentially I wanted to gauge the thoughts you all have on custom builds and whether I may regret not buying a genuine Manson, despite its less-accurate immitation of Matt's actual guitars.

Thanks y'all

OH DEAR GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :stunned:

How much use does your's actually get, given the cavern of guitars that you live in? :erm:

I KNOW

I don't know to be honest. I've played it three times this week I think? I end up switching guitars pretty frequently, and play for about two hours each day when I can

Hi guys,

fascinated by some of the discussions on this thread about the various Mansons on offer. I have a dilemma regarding them and want to see what you all think of it.

I am essentially torn between a genuine Manson MA-2 Blackbird, and a fully custom remake of the MB 2-SE. Both would cost me around the same and while the genuine MB signature series are out of my price range, I was wondering your thoughts on custom guitars and what advice you might give.

The build would emulate the dual P90-bridge layout of the SE with two custom made P90s and a custom hot-rail neck pickup, wired through master volume and tone controls with a three way toggle switch and series/parallel switch, and a coil tap switch for the neck pickup.

Essentially I wanted to gauge the thoughts you all have on custom builds and whether I may regret not buying a genuine Manson, despite its less-accurate immitation of Matt's actual guitars.

Thanks y'all

I guess it depends who'd be building the replica. There are loads of people out there. Some look nearly spot on, others not so much. My main concern would be finding a reputable builder really. such as hooglebug on this board.

£1200-ish (the price of an MA-2) seems a bit low for a complete replica of the MB-2 though, so I wouldn't know what to expect.

There's resale value of course, but I'm guessing that's not really a concern.

Personally I'd go for the MA-2 with the dual P90 pickup set which they seem to offer for those guitars now. The MA series are probably the best out there in that price range; I really can't say anything bad about them (except that they're a bit heavy)

But yeah, I guess it's really if it bothers you about not having one that's genuine, and that risk of the guitar turning out to be less than amazing.

tbh in the grand scheme of things the feel of a guitar is the most important, and thats something you probably wont get from a non-manson guitar. It might look like a great replica but if it doesnt play or feel right then it wont be great to play

I guess it depends who'd be building the replica. There are loads of people out there. Some look nearly spot on, others not so much. My main concern would be finding a reputable builder really. such as hooglebug on this board.

£1200-ish (the price of an MA-2) seems a bit low for a complete replica of the MB-2 though, so I wouldn't know what to expect.

There's resale value of course, but I'm guessing that's not really a concern.

Personally I'd go for the MA-2 with the dual P90 pickup set which they seem to offer for those guitars now. The MA series are probably the best out there in that price range; I really can't say anything bad about them (except that they're a bit heavy)

But yeah, I guess it's really if it bothers you about not having one that's genuine, and that risk of the guitar turning out to be less than amazing.

Thanks for your reply James,

Well it's not quite a "replica" so much as a custom guitar built to suit my price range, that is made to emulate the SE more closely than an off-the-shelf MA series would I guess.

The point made to me is that you are paying a lot for the name when buying a Manson, particularly now that they have such a massive figurehead as Matt. So paying the same money for a custom guitar allows for a closer representation of the high end SE.

The quote I've recieved is through the Painted Player - http://www.thepaintedplayer.co.uk/

I have no idea if anyone has had experience with them in the past, but I take on board your point about not knowing exactly what could be on offer when going the 'custom' route.

Is yours less mangled than that? I have no idea how it happens, unless the strings get jammed into it when the case lid is shut (which doesn't seem to be the reason)

Thanks for your reply James,

Well it's not quite a "replica" so much as a custom guitar built to suit my price range, that is made to emulate the SE more closely than an off-the-shelf MA series would I guess.

The point made to me is that you are paying a lot for the name when buying a Manson, particularly now that they have such a massive figurehead as Matt. So paying the same money for a custom guitar allows for a closer representation of the high end SE.

The quote I've recieved is through the Painted Player - http://www.thepaintedplayer.co.uk/

I have no idea if anyone has had experience with them in the past, but I take on board your point about not knowing exactly what could be on offer when going the 'custom' route.

I wouldn't say you're paying a lot for the name to be honest. I'd say that's true for Gibson, PRS, Fender, etc. but not so much the small builders. (I can't say I've seen many small builders charging over $15k for a guitar like Gibson and PRS do, no matter how fancy)

If you compare that to someone that doesn't have much of a reputation (meaning in general; I haven't looked at that builder you linked yet) then yes, they'd probably be a bit cheaper.

But again, I'd say you get a lot for your money with those MA series guitars; much more than other guitars in that price range.

I do agree with Olly as well, but that's just how I'd feel about it.

It's up to you really. I'll have a look at that builder, but I'd definitely go with someone that is known well enough and has good reviews and whatnot if you decide to have the custom built

Is yours less mangled than that? I have no idea how it happens, unless the strings get jammed into it when the case lid is shut (which doesn't seem to be the reason)

Mine's genuinely pretty clean, it's just the marks from the thickest string, and a little from the second thickest, that were caused when I first got it, and there's no way if fixing the damage that I'm aware of. :$

Macaroon - I'll also agree on the consensus of the MAs being fantastic guitars for the price. I was amazed when I first played one, considering it's like a third of the cost of the MBs. If you just want a replica than that's up to you, but I'd be surprised if you got the same kind of playability to be honest.

When I bought this Manson MA guitar last year I part exchanged my Red MB-1 for this one and the MB2-SE (which was still a few months away) I played it just as much as the MB-1

The Manson MA-2 guitars are fantastic value for money and will also have resale value, unlike a Manson copy, just my humble opinion of course

482869_10151343154012091_412634478_n_zps81ea7ae2.jpg

:)

When I bought this Manson MA guitar last year I part exchanged my Red MB-1 for this one and the MB2-SE (which was still a few months away) I played it just as much as the MB-1

The Manson MA-2 guitars are fantastic value for money and will also have resale value, unlike a Manson copy, just my humble opinion of course[/url]

Don't forget you had the red 20th anniversary version too!

Mine's genuinely pretty clean, it's just the marks from the thickest string, and a little from the second thickest, that were caused when I first got it, and there's no way if fixing the damage that I'm aware of. :$

Macaroon - I'll also agree on the consensus of the MAs being fantastic guitars for the price. I was amazed when I first played one, considering it's like a third of the cost of the MBs. If you just want a replica than that's up to you, but I'd be surprised if you got the same kind of playability to be honest.

indeed, and as for the sustainer, if yours doesn't look nearly as bad as mine, maybe it is from the case :\ (i recall you said you keep yours on a stand)

rust_relic, (and others)

That's all very logical, thanks for the insight. Is that an MA-2 blackbird you've got there? Looks like the Fernandes sustainer kit too? What a beautiful guitar that looks, that picture does so much more justice than the one on the website. I also wasnt aware that the stock finish is an almost-matte black, that is SENSUAL! :eek:

Ill definitely take all of this into consideration, also the re-sale price is a big point I had not thought of, in case I was ever in a position to trade up to an MB!

Agh! Decisions! :p

The finishes are pretty much the same really. The finish on that MA would be called "dry satin black" but it's not a whole lot different from the matte black finish that the MB signatures have; it's a little less textured if anything.

Pretty sure the blackbird MA and the one pictured above (which is a customized MA-2) would have the exact same finish though.

rust_relic, (and others)

That's all very logical, thanks for the insight. Is that an MA-2 blackbird you've got there? Looks like the Fernandes sustainer kit too? What a beautiful guitar that looks, that picture does so much more justice than the one on the website. I also wasnt aware that the stock finish is an almost-matte black, that is SENSUAL! :eek:

Ill definitely take all of this into consideration, also the re-sale price is a big point I had not thought of, in case I was ever in a position to trade up to an MB!

Agh! Decisions! :p

As far as I know it was a standard Manson MA-2 modified by Tim at Mansons with a Sustainer & Midi Strip for the 2012 Guitar Show, had a killswitch fitted since then:D

Sold it since then! :$

178174_561997750482909_1703542593_o_zps5318cde7.jpg

You should always keep in mind resale value, never bought guitars to sell on but since I bought my first Manson in 2005 I've sold or part exchanged at least 4 Mansons

That is lovely!

How flexible are the guys at Manson for doing custom work? I've emailed them twice about availability of guitars and I've recieved two very short/vague replies back after a fair wait, so I am a bit apprehensive to email them about different finishes and things of that ilk.

I would really love a Manson MA-2 Blackbird, but I have no idea if there are any left and if not, if they would customise a standard MA-2 for me to match it.

That is lovely!

How flexible are the guys at Manson for doing custom work? I've emailed them twice about availability of guitars and I've recieved two very short/vague replies back after a fair wait, so I am a bit apprehensive to email them about different finishes and things of that ilk.

I would really love a Manson MA-2 Blackbird, but I have no idea if there are any left and if not, if they would customise a standard MA-2 for me to match it.

Fairly flexible I guess, but it depends on how crazy the request is. Pretty sure all the MAs are out of stock right now

The other options (not listed on the website) that I know of which have been done to the MA series are refinishes and roland pickup installation.

Argh, that's frustrating. Any idea what sort of timescale there is between stock?

Refinishing sounds interesting, again it begs the question how "custom" they are willing to go in that area! I'd imagine they hold back the glitter finishes for the signature series?

Argh, that's frustrating. Any idea what sort of timescale there is between stock?

Refinishing sounds interesting, again it begs the question how "custom" they are willing to go in that area! I'd imagine they hold back the glitter finishes for the signature series?

No idea

And nah, only with the red glitter finish which is reserved for the MB-1. They've done some glitter refinishes on MAs (a common one is black with holographic glitter)

I'm pretty sure they almost always have MAs actually. The last time I was down there, Adrian said it was more like a continuous rolling stock than actual batches, so they always have them coming in at more or less the rate they sell them. Hence they don't publicly advertise when they have spares coming in anymore, because they know they're going to go anyway. If you want one, just phone them up or e-mail them, and they should be able to let you know what's available pretty quickly. If you have any particular requests then just be prepared for a little extra wait obviously.

indeed, and as for the sustainer, if yours doesn't look nearly as bad as mine, maybe it is from the case :\ (i recall you said you keep yours on a stand)

Nope, I've always kept mine in the case, haha, never had it on a stand. The damage on mine was because it was set up too high when I got it. I started playing, got up to about the 15th fret and the thicker strings were just fretting out on the pickup. I lowered it straightaway obviously, but the damage was done and it's always annoyed me. Whenever the guitar is in the case, I always put some small thin layer between the strings and pickup just in case (hur hur). I don't know if it makes a difference, but I know a few people wondered about if the case was making a difference before I got mine, so I decided to take the precaution.

Oh man that's interesting. Wonder if they would do me a scarlet red glitter finish :ohmy:

I'll need to email them again, I've caught the bug and I doubt I'll ever shake it

depends how different I guess

and yeah, I know what that's like :ninja:

I'm pretty sure they almost always have MAs actually. The last time I was down there, Adrian said it was more like a continuous rolling stock than actual batches, so they always have them coming in at more or less the rate they sell them. Hence they don't publicly advertise when they have spares coming in anymore, because they know they're going to go anyway. If you want one, just phone them up or e-mail them, and they should be able to let you know what's available pretty quickly. If you have any particular requests then just be prepared for a little extra wait obviously.

Nope, I've always kept mine in the case, haha, never had it on a stand. The damage on mine was because it was set up too high when I got it. I started playing, got up to about the 15th fret and the thicker strings were just fretting out on the pickup. I lowered it straightaway obviously, but the damage was done and it's always annoyed me. Whenever the guitar is in the case, I always put some small thin layer between the strings and pickup just in case (hur hur). I don't know if it makes a difference, but I know a few people wondered about if the case was making a difference before I got mine, so I decided to take the precaution.

I thought I read that on the website, but I guess not.

And that might be why. I have the certificate and manual in there too, so I wouldn't be surprised if that caused it.

That's slightly more reassuring, Bs! I've got in contact with them now, hopefully they get back sharpish.

In regards to the damage to your own Manson, I'm curious as I've missed a bit of this conversation, what damage was done? From reading through this thread a bit the whole case/stand situation seems to be a bit of a problem.

Archived