matthijs

Bs!

Haha, I still pop in from time to time to see what's going on, I just don't really have anything to add. I won't be back in the UK until about the third week of September anyway, so won't have anything interesting until then. Buck Rogers came on earlier though and I had myself a good chuckle, haha!

Haha, I still pop in from time to time to see what's going on

I can confirm this. I always get so excited when I see your username (Bs) in the list of active users. It's like...I don't know...well, you know that time when you found out your guitar was ready? It's sort of like that. Not that I knew what it was like, as it wasn't my guitar, but I was still excited nevertheless as I was waiting for it to be completed too. Those times are good though, and hopefully I'll be getting notification about something sometime soon as well.

I just don't really have anything to add.

I understand. There are only so many pink floyd songs you can cover on your ukelele for the people in japan before they get bored and request something else.... And don't play them buck rogers because that's OUR song.

I won't be back in the UK until about the third week of September anyway

So it's not august then? HEY maybe I'll see your guitar a second time before you get it :awesome: On the other hand, if you're not back in august, I won't be able to see you....

so won't have anything interesting until then.

I doubt it. You made a few posts earlier which I enjoyed reading, even if they were about delay and reverb pedals

Buck Rogers came on earlier though and I had myself a good chuckle, haha!

Next time you post (assuming I don't get too excited and read the post first) I'll make a reaction video with buck rogers playing in the background. (I already did something similar, but I ... I misplaced it)

Do you happen to have a family photo of all these guitars then?

Nah unfortunately not

Haha, yeah, I leave Japan in mid-August, go to Thailand for a week, then spend a month in France, and then back to the UK in the latter half of September, I'm afraid. I haven't played the crappy guitar I bought here for months actually. It's just so infuriating so I stopped. I'm going to be so out of practice when I get back, but hopefully I can get back up to a decent level. Will have to relearn a few things though I'm sure. And yeah, I just have some decisions to make about my set up I think. I'm even wondering if it's worth keeping my amp because of the expense of shipping it, but I don't know. I love it, but I do only use the one channel, and I don't know if it would be worth downsizing if there's something that can just give me the clean sound I want. I'm not really sure what I should do at this point though. Probably looking at updating a handful of the pedals anyway while I can, hence the other discussion.

Haha, yeah, I leave Japan in mid-August, go to Thailand for a week, then spend a month in France, and then back to the UK in the latter half of September, I'm afraid. I haven't played the crappy guitar I bought here for months actually. It's just so infuriating so I stopped. I'm going to be so out of practice when I get back, but hopefully I can get back up to a decent level. Will have to relearn a few things though I'm sure. And yeah, I just have some decisions to make about my set up I think. I'm even wondering if it's worth keeping my amp because of the expense of shipping it, but I don't know. I love it, but I do only use the one channel, and I don't know if it would be worth downsizing if there's something that can just give me the clean sound I want. I'm not really sure what I should do at this point though. Probably looking at updating a handful of the pedals anyway while I can, hence the other discussion.

See, I knew you never left :awesome:

I don't know. I'd say it's better than nothing, but we all remember what happened with the pacifica

If you're only using the clean channel, then yeah, it's not really worth it. Mesas are best known for their distorted sounds. And then there's dealing with setting it up for whatever the wall voltage in thailand is (guessing it's not the same as the UK anyway)

Haha, yeah, I leave Japan in mid-August, go to Thailand for a week, then spend a month in France, and then back to the UK in the latter half of September, I'm afraid.

Off-topic, but: Oh? Where do you go in France? And how is Japan? I really want to go there...

James, I think the voltage in Thailand is the same fortunately, but it's usually not grounded as far as I'm aware. I think the Lone Star Special is pretty well known for its clean sound, reverb, and light clipping when pushed on the lower settings. The higher levels of drive are best with single coils I think, could never quite get what I wanted from that, and then I got the D1 which covered everything I wanted. If I wanted to change though, there's the hassle of trying to move it on and find something with a clean channel that's as good. Oh, and I did stop popping in for a little while, but I've tried to come in from time to time to see what's going on.

Lozo, I'll be in Tours for about four weeks. Never been there before so hopefully it's nice, but it seems like it is. I've been to various other parts of France loads of times before, but not in the past five years or so, so hopefully I enjoy it as much as before. Japan is amazing. If you've ever had any kind of interest in coming here then it's definitely worth the trip. Personally, I'm really into the old Japan, so I'm based in Kyoto, which was the capital for 1000 years or so, and having plenty of chances to explore the traditional culture and history, ancient buildings, castles and gardens, and general natural scenic beauty, but I know people who are into the newer world and they obviously love the big cities and so on. Regardless of what you're looking for, I'm sure you could have a great time here, just be sure to plan accordingly beforehand to make sure you can make the most of it depending on your interests.

It might even be as long as one of Bs' old posts.

I miss those. :supersad:

;)

Lozo, I'll be in Tours for about four weeks. Never been there before so hopefully it's nice, but it seems like it is. I've been to various other parts of France loads of times before, but not in the past five years or so, so hopefully I enjoy it as much as before. Japan is amazing. If you've ever had any kind of interest in coming here then it's definitely worth the trip. Personally, I'm really into the old Japan, so I'm based in Kyoto, which was the capital for 1000 years or so, and having plenty of chances to explore the traditional culture and history, ancient buildings, castles and gardens, and general natural scenic beauty, but I know people who are into the newer world and they obviously love the big cities and so on. Regardless of what you're looking for, I'm sure you could have a great time here, just be sure to plan accordingly beforehand to make sure you can make the most of it depending on your interests.

Yep, it's a really nice city, but not so big. So in four weeks you have time to go to many other places. You are quite close to Paris and the Atlantic ocean (Bordeaux, La Rochelle etc) by TGV (high speed train).

Yeah I'm not that attracted by the modern Japanese culture, but more by the old Japan like you. I have a Japanese friend here from Tohoku university, so more in the countryside. But he lived in Tokyo for many years. So I have a "guide" if I decide to go. The problem is that I running out of time with my studies, I will begin my master thesis next semester so...

I lived 5 years in Tours. It's a nice City. If you can move around, you can visit the "Chateaux de la Loire".

Now, I live in La Rochelle (very very nice city in summer !) since 2 years.

cool

Hey Phill, what do you think of this hardware change?

IMG_0326.jpg~original

The black hardware on this one always bugged me a little, but I like how it looks now. Can't do anything about the switch or the saddles, but those aren't as noticeable

Also, the chrome switch tips SORT of fit. They go on and then get stuck. :facepalm: I think it's good enough though, but they won't fit the mirror MoC at all

Looks good!

I think the switch tips can be drilled out to fit (they don't have threads all the way through :confused: ) not worth it though

Also

ouch.jpg~original

I was sort of expecting a response like that (or no response at all). I'm sort of glad though; I want to keep mine unique. What about you, Bs? Would you let me have an exact replica of yours built, including the magic bridg... never mind, not worth it.

Curious what Mansons would say if someone asked "I want an exact replica of this guitar. I don't care what the specs are, I just want an exact replica"

After all, the certificates say

"This instrument has been custom built at Manson Guitar Works, Exeter, Devon and is unique"

Can't guarantee that they'll be able to fit that on yours Bs, but we'll just assume it's unique. :shifty:

I think the switch tips can be drilled out to fit (they don't have threads all the way through :confused: ) not worth it though

Also

ouch.jpg~original

I was sort of expecting a response like that (or no response at all). I'm sort of glad though; I want to keep mine unique. What about you, Bs? Would you let me have an exact replica of yours built, including the magic bridg... never mind, not worth it.

Curious what Mansons would say if someone asked "I want an exact replica of this guitar. I don't care what the specs are, I just want an exact replica"

After all, the certificates say

"This instrument has been custom built at Manson Guitar Works, Exeter, Devon and is unique"

Can't guarantee that they'll be able to fit that on yours Bs, but we'll just assume it's unique. :shifty:

You'd have to be bonkers to go through what I went through to get that guitar, haha - there's no way it's worth it, unless it's designed specifically to be exactly what you want and cover as much as possible, which is what it was for for me. There are 7 string floyd rose bridges with the piezo inserts and stuff already in, so if someone wanted the same functions it would be better to go for that to be honest, haha! Yeah, I'll have to ask if they've found a piece of paper big enough for my certificate yet, haha!

Looks good!

I ended up putting the black switch tips back on. I couldn't sleep at night knowing that these switch tips weren't installed correctly

You'd have to be bonkers to go through what I went through to get that guitar, haha - there's no way it's worth it, unless it's designed specifically to be exactly what you want and cover as much as possible, which is what it was for for me. There are 7 string floyd rose bridges with the piezo inserts and stuff already in, so if someone wanted the same functions it would be better to go for that to be honest, haha! Yeah, I'll have to ask if they've found a piece of paper big enough for my certificate yet, haha!

Including the option to work with a roland pedalboard, or just the piezo?

Including the option to work with a roland pedalboard, or just the piezo?

Yeah, there's some made by GraphTech themselves which have their hexaphonic inserts in.

LB63gang.jpg

They're called "LB63", though I don't think they actually offer a 7 string version come to think of it. My mistake.

Yeah, there's some made by GraphTech themselves which have their hexaphonic inserts in.

LB63gang.jpg

They're called "LB63", though I don't think they actually offer a 7 string version come to think of it. My mistake.

Haven't had a chance to use there hexpander, but I have a tune-o-matic bridge, hardtail and nut and all are simply amazing. The bridge and tailpiece made such a different to my SG the whole guitar resonates when I play now and feels awesome. Has anyone here had a chance to play with their hexpander at all?

:(

I wonder if the bridges themselves are made by graphtech. The gotoh ones are supposed to be the best as far as quality goes (not counting the ibanez ones, which are a different design)

Haven't had a chance to use there hexpander, but I have a tune-o-matic bridge, hardtail and nut and all are simply amazing. The bridge and tailpiece made such a different to my SG the whole guitar resonates when I play now and feels awesome. Has anyone here had a chance to play with their hexpander at all?

Not familiar with their tune o matic; is it a drop-in replacement with the graphite saddles? Curious about the tailpiece too. I always hear about lightweight aluminum and such, but I don't know what kind of difference the tailpiece makes.

My only issue with the graphtech stuff is that they're not as durable as the more common materials. But I suppose if you can get a good five years out of them with better sound and tuning stability, it's worth it... unless you have this happen :$

IMG_2348.jpg~original

And yeah, the hexpander is pretty nice. The piezo sound is pretty much standard (although it has a push pull which alters the tone slightly. I forgot what it's called exactly, or if it's usually included with the hexpander). It's supposed to track a lot better than the roland GK too. It seems a bit less glitchy, and is easily twice as loud. (that or I haven't installed the GK pickup on my LP correctly, but I'm pretty sure I have)

:(

I wonder if the bridges themselves are made by graphtech. The gotoh ones are supposed to be the best as far as quality goes (not counting the ibanez ones, which are a different design)

Not familiar with their tune o matic; is it a drop-in replacement with the graphite saddles? Curious about the tailpiece too. I always hear about lightweight aluminum and such, but I don't know what kind of difference the tailpiece makes.

My only issue with the graphtech stuff is that they're not as durable as the more common materials. But I suppose if you can get a good five years out of them with better sound and tuning stability, it's worth it... unless you have this happen :$

And yeah, the hexpander is pretty nice. The piezo sound is pretty much standard (although it has a push pull which alters the tone slightly. I forgot what it's called exactly, or if it's usually included with the hexpander). It's supposed to track a lot better than the roland GK too. It seems a bit less glitchy, and is easily twice as loud. (that or I haven't installed the GK pickup on my LP correctly, but I'm pretty sure I have)

Yeah the tune-o-magic just drops in, I'm really impressed the product is probably better than gotoh just, but the plating and finish is far better on gotohs!

Have you got a full pic of that guitar it looks nice and glittery ;)

What can you actually do with the hexpander, anything useful? I have to admit I know nothing about synths!

Yeah the tune-o-magic just drops in, I'm really impressed the product is probably better than gotoh just, but the plating and finish is far better on gotohs!

Have you got a full pic of that guitar it looks nice and glittery ;)

What can you actually do with the hexpander, anything useful? I have to admit I know nothing about synths!

Did you have to radius the saddles or anything before installing? Or are they already correct for a gibson type guitar? I really like the gotoh 510 tune o matic as that has the option to adjust the height of each string like on a fender type bridge. Unfortunately those aren't drop-in replacements for the standard nashville tune o matic though.

1890357_10152196940305944_1334780892_o.jpg

And yeah. It's not just synths; there are loads of different effects that can be created when hooked up to a roland pedalboard. I have what's probably the (second?) oldest roland pedalboard, and it has loads of different models and effects. Anything from various amp models, different types of guitars (acoustic, 12 strings, bass, etc), various open tunings, and then completely different instruments like trumpet, various synths, banjo, etc... it has the usual effects as well (delay, reverb, chorus, tremolo, harmonizer, etc). And then all of these can be fine tuned as well.

Some of them aren't particularly good (especially the high gain amp models), but considering this pedalboard is from the early 2000's, it's pretty impressive. Planning to get a GR-55 or VG-99 though, as I'm sure they've come a long way since then.

The hexpander also has a MIDI/magnetic/mix switch, so you can switch between the roland sound, normal sound, or have both. There are different ways to go about using it though, since you also have the standard 1/4" output on the guitar.

Did you have to radius the saddles or anything before installing? Or are they already correct for a gibson type guitar? I really like the gotoh 510 tune o matic as that has the option to adjust the height of each string like on a fender type bridge. Unfortunately those aren't drop-in replacements for the standard nashville tune o matic though.

The hexpander also has a MIDI/magnetic/mix switch, so you can switch between the roland sound, normal sound, or have both. There are different ways to go about using it though, since you also have the standard 1/4" output on the guitar.

No altering needed as they do a model designed for either epiphone or Gibson tune-o-matic. It is a truely epic bridge mechanically and really changed the tone of the guitar but the plating could and should be a lot better!

I'm getting more intrigued by the Roland and the hexpander every day, I'm thinking my next build will have this in!

No altering needed as they do a model designed for either epiphone or Gibson tune-o-matic. It is a truely epic bridge mechanically and really changed the tone of the guitar but the plating could and should be a lot better!

I'm getting more intrigued by the Roland and the hexpander every day, I'm thinking my next build will have this in!

Is this the one?

http://www.graphtech.com/products/brands/string-saver/product-detail/ps-8843-c0-resomax-nv2-4mm-tune-o-matic-chrome?id=ddbe44f2-bead-4c62-a2fe-7469854815bc

They mention three different types of saddles, but I only see that one with the string savers.

I might put that and the tail piece on my LP. The tone of the guitar is pretty good (thankfully, as it would be difficult to upgrade without ripping the PCB out :facepalm: ) but the overall sustain is a bit poor compared to most.

And yeah, they're worth checking out. You can always get an external roland GK-3 pickup for your current guitar too, which just pops on with out any drilling or modification to the guitar itself. The hexpander IS better in my opinion, but there's no external version as far as I know.

Is this the one?

http://www.graphtech.com/products/brands/string-saver/product-detail/ps-8843-c0-resomax-nv2-4mm-tune-o-matic-chrome?id=ddbe44f2-bead-4c62-a2fe-7469854815bc

They mention three different types of saddles, but I only see that one with the string savers.

I might put that and the tail piece on my LP. The tone of the guitar is pretty good (thankfully, as it would be difficult to upgrade without ripping the PCB out :facepalm: ) but the overall sustain is a bit poor compared to most.

And yeah, they're worth checking out. You can always get an external roland GK-3 pickup for your current guitar too, which just pops on with out any drilling or modification to the guitar itself. The hexpander IS better in my opinion, but there's no external version as far as I know.

Yeah that's the one, if you go on the resomax page then go on tune-o-matic it will show all three versions the Nv1, Nv2 and Nvs. I got the NVS as it's a nice blend of everything! I will admit you basically need a training course to navigate Graph techs website as everything is in brand names or shortened rather than component type.

You've pretty much sold the idea of the hexpander and Roland to me now :) definetly going to sick them in my next guitar !

Yeah that's the one, if you go on the resomax page then go on tune-o-matic it will show all three versions the Nv1, Nv2 and Nvs. I got the NVS as it's a nice blend of everything! I will admit you basically need a training course to navigate Graph techs website as everything is in brand names or shortened rather than component type.

You've pretty much sold the idea of the hexpander and Roland to me now :) definetly going to sick them in my next guitar !

Found it. The NVS looks like the best choice for what I'm going for; I have found that the standard string saver saddles dull the sound a bit. I'll admit I'm mainly trying this out because the stock bridge doesn't have the strings spaced correctly, but I might as well put something good on there.

Did you replace the tailpiece as well?

Not sure if I should replace the nut while I'm at it. I think it's graphite, but it could be cut better. Even though it's one of the "budget" gibsons I bought for $500 something when they were blowing out the 2013 models, it's a nice guitar. I don't feel the need to change anything besides the parts that aren't how they should be (really just the bridge, and possibly the nut)

And that's cool. I'd watch a few demos of the pedal boards first though; really just the GR-55, but I think the VG-99 is fairly recent (but discontinued)

Archived