matthijs

I did a quick mockup for the custom I had in mind.

Untitled_zpsb6ce668a.png

Specs:

MA shape

Mahogany body

Black carbon fibre finish

Birds Eye Maple Neck

Ebony fretboard, no inlays

Dual MBK-2:90's

Fernandes sustainer

Kill switch

Gotoh hardtail bridge

Custom machineheads and knobs

I've still got a bit of research to do before I settle on a final spec, and I need to figure out the best way to approach it financially. Any ideas on how I could improve the spec?

Man I always think they look odd with no MIDI pad and no TOM bridge, just looks like so much room on the back end.

Man I always think they look odd with no MIDI pad and no TOM bridge, just looks like so much room on the back end.

Yeah it does leave quite a bit of room (I guess we're just used to seeing that area filled), I think it looks kinda cool though. Carbonita though, phwoaaarrr!

8244770231_c4600eeef5_z.jpg

Midi pad + ToM bridge looks incredibly shit imo

Yeah I agree, a few rare exceptions for some though. A full sized XY wouldn't fit on a ToM would it?

Yeah it does leave quite a bit of room (I guess we're just used to seeing that area filled), I think it looks kinda cool though. Carbonita though, phwoaaarrr!

8244770231_c4600eeef5_z.jpg

Yeah I agree, a few rare exceptions for some though. A full sized XY wouldn't fit on a ToM would it?

Gotta use this image now:

9197498818_de60b75002_z.jpg

James you should totes pay me to do fancy photos of all your guitars. Though payment will be ONE GUITAR (chrome)

James you should totes pay me to do fancy photos of all your guitars. Though payment will be ONE GUITAR (chrome)

sounds good to me, you deal with shipping though. the chrome has more play wear than any of the others. he even managed to turn the chrome hardware into brass

almost like turning water into wine. because...well, it's Simno.

I could take much better pictures if I had proper lighting/surroundings.

sounds good to me, you deal with shipping though. the chrome has more play wear than any of the others. he even managed to turn the chrome hardware into brass

almost like turning water into wine. because...well, it's Simno.

I could take much better pictures if I had proper lighting/surroundings.

Shipping? I was just going to fly over with a camera, flash gun, buy some white card and sort that shit out. Lighting isn't an issue. Just need some sexy backgrounds which doesn't cost much

Shipping? I was just going to fly over with a camera, flash gun, buy some white card and sort that shit out. Lighting isn't an issue. Just need some sexy backgrounds which doesn't cost much

like a green screen?

and lighting is an issue, at least with the pictures i've been taking. i've had to put them directly in front of a window on a sunny day to get better pictures (which i seem to have deleted :facepalm: )

like a green screen?

and lighting is an issue, at least with the pictures i've been taking. i've had to put them directly in front of a window on a sunny day to get better pictures (which i seem to have deleted :facepalm: )

Buy this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/YONGNUO-YN-560-II-ELECTRONIC-SPEEDLIGHT/dp/B009APY9TO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1377200059&sr=8-1&keywords=yongnuo+yn-560+ii

Consider mark 3 if you fancy more features you probably won't use, and yeah flash it upwards, the light will bounce down and evenly spread the light on the guitar. screw sunlight. this flash gun is surprisingly useful for its price, lots of pros use it.

Buy this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/YONGNUO-YN-560-II-ELECTRONIC-SPEEDLIGHT/dp/B009APY9TO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1377200059&sr=8-1&keywords=yongnuo+yn-560+ii

Consider mark 3 if you fancy more features you probably won't use, and yeah flash it upwards, the light will bounce down and evenly spread the light on the guitar. screw sunlight. this flash gun is surprisingly useful for its price, lots of pros use it.

the only additional feature on the mk3 is the built in RF-603 receiver, meaning it can be used with the yongnuo RF-603 transceiver (which are a lot cheaper than most transceievers). otherwise with the mk2 you're relying on flash sync (eww on camera flash) or buying transceivers. although to be fair you tend to buy a min of 2 at a time anyway, so it wouldn't matter that much. although i hear the mk3 has a far greater build quality. only got the mk3 myself so can't say

the only additional feature on the mk3 is the built in RF-603 receiver, meaning it can be used with the yongnuo RF-603 transceiver (which are a lot cheaper than most transceievers). otherwise with the mk2 you're relying on flash sync (eww on camera flash) or buying transceivers. although to be fair you tend to buy a min of 2 at a time anyway, so it wouldn't matter that much. although i hear the mk3 has a far greater build quality. only got the mk3 myself so can't say

haha so i guess james just needs the mk2 given that it's just for a cheap and dirty product shot.

Buy this:

hmm ok, i'll look into that.

as for backgrounds, my yellow warehouse walls will do fine... but they could be better.

Bs, I'm starting to become concerned about the magic bridge. What's going on? :erm:

hmm ok, i'll look into that.

as for backgrounds, my yellow warehouse walls will do fine... but they could be better.

Bs, I'm starting to become concerned about the magic bridge. What's going on? :erm:

you need some bitching red and white fabric for background... actually black too

8247391769_65bb954883_z.jpg

Unless you have some pretty looking amps like Mansons, those 3 colours will do you fine

8917865480_751a2d8728_z.jpg

what type of fabric? they don't seem to make photography grade fabric!

bought the thing off amazon anyway. my pictures still won't be as good, but there should be an improvement anyway...

fabric or card will do, just anything you can mcguver into a studio backdrop. i bought a light tent but it's a bit of a hassle to use and it's not big enough for guitars. Jas Morris has a nice long white background and hangs the guitar on wire. Saw some behind the scene shots for 011

fabric or card will do, just anything you can mcguver into a studio backdrop. i bought a light tent but it's a bit of a hassle to use and it's not big enough for guitars. Jas Morris has a nice long white background and hangs the guitar on wire. Saw some behind the scene shots for 011

hmm fair enough. I only really want something to hide my trad3mark signature carpet (which I set on fire the other day, so it doesn't look that great...)

But if any fabric will do, I guess I can buy some at an arts and crafts store. I see people discussing different types though.

You also need a single white sock for the best photos

For the guitar or...? :ninja:

hmm fair enough. I only really want something to hide my trad3mark signature carpet (which I set on fire the other day, so it doesn't look that great...)

But if any fabric will do, I guess I can buy some at an arts and crafts store. I see people discussing different types though.

For the guitar or...? :ninja:

or here if you wanna be pro

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/Backgrounds-Backdrops/ci/16284/N/4037060746

But seriously, a flash gun and some background is all you need for good product shots. If it fails, then it's just setting issues and that can be fixed easily. Composition isn't important here as there's only a limit of positions you can do.

But yeah, totes worth the setup and effort I think (and it's really cheap in comparison to how much the net guitar worth is)

Midi pad + ToM bridge looks incredibly shit imo

I meant it doesn't have the TOM setup (without MIDI), or a Hardtail with the MIDI. There isn't enough room to fit a full XY and a TOM.

As someone else said though, it could be that I am so used to seeing Matts with a TOM bridge when there is no XY.

Not a whole lot at the moment. He'd started work on the measurements and done some testing to make sure he was getting them right before milling the saddles for mine, and then he got sidetracked with other projects and stuff for the past week or so. He said he was going to try and get back to it imminently again, but yeah, no idea about progress.

Not a whole lot at the moment. He'd started work on the measurements and done some testing to make sure he was getting them right before milling the saddles for mine, and then he got sidetracked with other projects and stuff for the past week or so. He said he was going to try and get back to it imminently again, but yeah, no idea about progress.

I hope they're not new projects (unless Matt ordered something from him, then that's different)

I realize I'm one of the more patient ones and am not in the position to say this, but I'd really do what Tom said and ask for a completion date and ask him to stick by it. He's already had the saddles and bridge for a while, and could've probably finished it up by now.

Anyhow, confirmed the mods for the tele which is going off to Mansons next tuesday

new neck w/ ebony fretboard

2x humbucker sized pickups (MQ in neck, bridge tbc)

Also going to ask if I can change out the hardware to all chrome (the gold was actually a bit worn from what I remember), and put some HAP tuners on

I hope they're not new projects (unless Matt ordered something from him, then that's different)

I realize I'm one of the more patient ones and am not in the position to say this, but I'd really do what Tom said and ask for a completion date and ask him to stick by it. He's already had the saddles and bridge for a while, and could've probably finished it up by now.

No point though, is there? Same as the rest of the guitar with Mansons. I can't just say "You're taking too long, work faster, I've been waiting long enough", because the answer will just be "It'll be done when it's done". Nothing I can do about the endless delays that the whole build has had. I've been patient because I've had to be, because there's nothing I can do about it, but it's been a fucking nightmare at times. Still out of my hands though.

Archived