matthijs

Any proof or more details of this? Very curious if I could have this on my MB-1 when it gets everything else done...

Olly said the same thing, but I don't know how it works exactly

the ma had a push pull which turned it into a rotary switch for the midi pad

So I guess instead of a tone knob, it has a hold switch which also functions as a rotary encoder?

You'd have to sacrifice your tone knob and coil split from the sounds of things though

Wait, so it's not a tone knob AND a rotary in one? That's what I want to know...If it's tone switch, then rotary switch when held down, I'm sold...Coil Tap could theoretically be switched to the volume knob...I know I considered that for my custom originally, before opting for the piezo bypass to make sure I could still use the pickups when the battery goes...

Ahhh, I see...Thanks Double-R! A rotary switch could be useful on the MB-1, especially if I get the Whammy, KP3 and Kaossilator set up going...But to sacrifice the tone knob completely...Hmmm...I've done it on the custom because I have the piezo as well, but on the MB-1, it's a good way of getting a more acoustic sound...

Ahhh, I see...Thanks Double-R! A rotary switch could be useful on the MB-1, especially if I get the Whammy, KP3 and Kaossilator set up going...But to sacrifice the tone knob completely...Hmmm...I've done it on the custom because I have the piezo as well, but on the MB-1, it's a good way of getting a more acoustic sound...

solution: have an extra hole drilled to install it :awesome:

can you explain what you're doing with the MIDI on the MB-1 exactly? I know it had to do with batteries

solution: have an extra hole drilled to install it :awesome:

can you explain what you're doing with the MIDI on the MB-1 exactly? I know it had to do with batteries

There is that option, but that would involve having 3 knobs on the MB, and I'm not sure it works...

Basically it will involve the MIDI screen being powered through the MIDI cable...Then I can use both batteries for the sustainer, which will last a hell of a lot longer...It's the screen that normally kills batteries...My sustainer one can usually last a month or so, on just one battery. The screen will go dead in about a week or two...

There is that option, but that would involve having 3 knobs on the MB, and I'm not sure it works...

Basically it will involve the MIDI screen being powered through the MIDI cable...Then I can use both batteries for the sustainer, which will last a hell of a lot longer...It's the screen that normally kills batteries...My sustainer one can usually last a month or so, on just one battery. The screen will go dead in about a week or two...

hmm how often do you use the sustainer? i only really change the screen battery when it doesn't light up properly, and the sustainer battery when the sustainer is noticeably weaker

and of course it does

800px-Manson_Kaoss.jpg

tone control placement is a bit different though

hmm how often do you use the sustainer? i only really change the screen battery when it doesn't light up properly, and the sustainer battery when the sustainer is noticeably weaker

and of course it does

tone control placement is a bit different though

Sometimes I use the sustainer a lot, sometimes not at all, it depends what type of music I'm playing. It's definitely one of my favourite 'effects' and I use it quite extensively, but I can make the battery last a fair bit.

I'd love a rotary contol on it, but I just can't see how you can add it on to this layout without ruining the balance...

MB-1.jpg

The amount of money you'd spend getting the mod done - would that level up to the cost of batteries over time?

Depends how much it costs, what you consider the average price of a battery to be, and how long I have the guitar for. Realistically though it's more that it seems pointless having the unique aspect of the guitar being available only subject to a battery that it can eat through in a week if you play it a lot. That gives me a few days feeling like I need to use the pad excessively to make the most of it, and then when the battery dies, I think "fuck that, I'm not getting another one for it yet", and I end up playing it for a month or two with no pad. If I'm going to have it, I may as well know I can use it if and when I want it, and not feel any particular pressure to use it when I don't need to.

The first week or so of having the guitar was the best in that sense because I could just enjoy it for what it was. At least the sustainer lasts a while, and if I have two batteries powering that in both guitars, I won't have any problems regarding regular battery changes for the future. More convenient too, and when you think about how much the guitar costs in the first place, worrying about the cost of anything extra seems a bit irrelevant. Saying that I still haven't got a quote for it, but we'll see.

I never realized changing batteries was such a pain... :erm:

damn well is! replacing batteries is so 1987 circa "batteries not included" the movie

Depends how much it costs, what you consider the average price of a battery to be, and how long I have the guitar for. Realistically though it's more that it seems pointless having the unique aspect of the guitar being available only subject to a battery that it can eat through in a week if you play it a lot. That gives me a few days feeling like I need to use the pad excessively to make the most of it, and then when the battery dies, I think "fuck that, I'm not getting another one for it yet", and I end up playing it for a month or two with no pad. If I'm going to have it, I may as well know I can use it if and when I want it, and not feel any particular pressure to use it when I don't need to.

The first week or so of having the guitar was the best in that sense because I could just enjoy it for what it was. At least the sustainer lasts a while, and if I have two batteries powering that in both guitars, I won't have any problems regarding regular battery changes for the future. More convenient too, and when you think about how much the guitar costs in the first place, worrying about the cost of anything extra seems a bit irrelevant. Saying that I still haven't got a quote for it, but we'll see.

Lemme know when the quote comes out! It's equally a burden for me and if Ron ron is going to be sorting it out, he might as well do it TWICE.

Saw him at the guitar show dicking around :)

I didn't know he was going to be at the show. I'd have gone down and pestered him in person, haha! Could have haggled with him over price and timescale, Life Of Brian style, haha! But yeah, I'll let you know when I find out. I'm being patient enough to wait until we're in December to give them a bit of leeway on finishing other stuff off, and then I'll start pouncing on the e-mails again! :chuckle:

Archived