matthijs

That's quite a welcome, haha.

James, or anyone else who's bought from overseas, what's Mansons' normal take on valuing the shipment for customs and stuff? I seem to remember I got a pretty hefty charge when I brought my amp over, and I think it might be as high as 30% here for things like musical instruments, which has me a bit worried, as without that I don't think the price would be too much of a problem. It would definitely be substantially less than my last one. Any experiences?

I bought one of Manson's modified Fenders back in 2011 and the MA-2S when they were released in early 2015 and I don't recall the charges being that high. It's been a while obviously, and James90 would have better input, but I really don't think they were remotely close to 30%

That's quite a welcome, haha.

James, or anyone else who's bought from overseas, what's Mansons' normal take on valuing the shipment for customs and stuff? I seem to remember I got a pretty hefty charge when I brought my amp over, and I think it might be as high as 30% here for things like musical instruments, which has me a bit worried, as without that I don't think the price would be too much of a problem. It would definitely be substantially less than my last one. Any experiences?

Collect it in person? Seemed to work last time!

Not sure - I'm pretty sure it's just marked at the purchase price though.

Have you sent your spec in? Send me a copy for review - you have my email. :ninja:

I bought one of Manson's modified Fenders back in 2011 and the MA-2S when they were released in early 2015 and I don't recall the charges being that high. It's been a while obviously, and James90 would have better input, but I really don't think they were remotely close to 30%

Nah it isn't, but remember Bs is in Thailand.

Yeah, it's the Thai import charges I'm worried about. Not much I can do about it, but it'll be an unwelcome addition to the price I'm sure.

No spec as such at the moment. It'd basically be the same as last time, but with a fixed bridge and XY pad instead of the trem and hexaphonic midi stuff, and just a gloss finish instead of the aluminium, though I don't know what exactly. Sort of a halfway guitar between the two I've already got I suppose.

It's the tuning flexibility that's prompting me really. I needed a guitar with a trem last time, just that it sounds so good I wish I could change the tuning sometimes. If my MB-1 had the seventh string and the same sound, I probably wouldn't bother really.

James, I've been flicking through Instagram and noticed on your burst MA it has the 510 tailpiece. Can this just be put on the same threads?

Not as far as I'm aware. I had one guitar upgraded from the standard nashville type to a 510, and I recall they did have to change the inserts as well.

Yeah, it's the Thai import charges I'm worried about. Not much I can do about it, but it'll be an unwelcome addition to the price I'm sure.

No spec as such at the moment. It'd basically be the same as last time, but with a fixed bridge and XY pad instead of the trem and hexaphonic midi stuff, and just a gloss finish instead of the aluminium, though I don't know what exactly. Sort of a halfway guitar between the two I've already got I suppose.

It's the tuning flexibility that's prompting me really. I needed a guitar with a trem last time, just that it sounds so good I wish I could change the tuning sometimes. If my MB-1 had the seventh string and the same sound, I probably wouldn't bother really.

Can't you add a 7th string with one of those pedals you have?

Also, have you looked at the eventide H9? I hear it's quite a good unit, and can be used with the X-Y pad apparently.

Is a MIDI pad really worth the trouble? I'm thinking about my next custom MA but I'm undecided whether to get something with a tremolo bridge, a twisty MIDI Pad or to just take the plunge and go full SMBH.

Take a moment and ask yourself.... what would Bs do?

Actually, what do you have in your current guitars?

Take a moment and ask yourself.... what would Bs do?

Actually, what do you have in your current guitars?

In my two Mansons I have a stock standard satin black MA w the Sustainer in it and the Glitter one with an MBK-3 and sustainiac.

I'm kind of tossing up a copper finish one with a tremolo arm or potentially a black carbon with a MIDI pad.

As in they got it refinished elsewhere?

Not sure, all I heard is that they were "downgrading" one of their stock MAs... and probably increasing the price in the process

In my two Mansons I have a stock standard satin black MA w the Sustainer in it and the Glitter one with an MBK-3 and sustainiac.

I'm kind of tossing up a copper finish one with a tremolo arm or potentially a black carbon with a MIDI pad.

black carbon with MIDI pad (assuming this is a full custom, as I don't think you can get a carbon finish on an MA-2 because of the contours)

Is a MIDI pad really worth the trouble? I'm thinking about my next custom MA but I'm undecided whether to get something with a tremolo bridge, a twisty MIDI Pad or to just take the plunge and go full SMBH.

It depends what you're going to use it for. I'll be honest, I don't use the XY screen much in the grand scheme of things, but there are times when I find it really useful, though I still haven't explored it as much as I probably should have done because I can't be bothered to connect it to a computer. I use it enough to include it in my spec for my third guitar though if I go through with it, but when I was planning my first custom, I knew I needed a guitar with a trem, and that was kind of the driving force behind it.

I included the Fuzz Factory on there too, and again, it's actually an effect I've found really useful so far, particularly with the piezo addition as well, and I probably use it more than the MIDI screen, but I reckon I only need the one guitar to have the FF, so the XY pad would take priority for me on the next one. Both are cool though, as long as you figure out how to use them properly. The screen takes a bit more investment in stuff to connect it too though, and therein lies my laziness sometimes in not being bothered to find new settings to use it with or whatever. Not sure if that helps.

black carbon with MIDI pad (assuming this is a full custom, as I don't think you can get a carbon finish on an MA-2 because of the contours)

Yeah full custom. Gives me more time to put money aside to pay it off :LOL:

It depends what you're going to use it for. I'll be honest, I don't use the XY screen much in the grand scheme of things, but there are times when I find it really useful, though I still haven't explored it as much as I probably should have done because I can't be bothered to connect it to a computer. I use it enough to include it in my spec for my third guitar though if I go through with it, but when I was planning my first custom, I knew I needed a guitar with a trem, and that was kind of the driving force behind it.

I included the Fuzz Factory on there too, and again, it's actually an effect I've found really useful so far, particularly with the piezo addition as well, and I probably use it more than the MIDI screen, but I reckon I only need the one guitar to have the FF, so the XY pad would take priority for me on the next one. Both are cool though, as long as you figure out how to use them properly. The screen takes a bit more investment in stuff to connect it too though, and therein lies my laziness sometimes in not being bothered to find new settings to use it with or whatever. Not sure if that helps.

I feel like my biggest issue with getting the screen is that I'll probably end up only using it to SMBH and do the cool lil thing that MB did in Invincible once upon a time (Reading '06 i think) and that's it. I've seen some people do some really cool things with it on YouTube and just in general with bands I come across that use them in their guitars but I feel like I too would struggle to be bothered at times to go searching for new settings :$

Have certainly been considering the fuzz factory. If I got one of those I think I'd have to go with the copper finish and a tremolo bar though. Just all looks so nice together and I'm really missing having a guitar with a trem.

When do we get to hear the full plan for your third one :ninja:

When I hear back about how much it would cost. :chuckle:

Nah, it's really not that different to my last one really. Screen instead of FF and 13 pin stuff, fixed bridge instead of trem, and a gloss finish instead of all the aluminium. Thinking of a subtle black burst at the moment, but have to see. I considered black glitter, but I think I've got enough sparkles, so I don't mind have something a bit more sedate, haha!

I'd say, if you don't think you need the screen, and you want a guitar with a trem, then go for that. If you get a FF in there as well, take some time to explore it, as there's a lot more to it than what you get from the occasional Muse song. It's really quite useful in my opinion. The screen goes through batteries pretty quickly as well, so if you're not using it much, then that could be a bit of a pain (it was for me before I had my MB-1 modded), whereas the FF will last for ages.

When do we get to hear the full plan for your third one :ninja:

I will keep you all informed. He needs to copy me on the email(s) he sends to Mansons with the spec, as it will need to be approved by me before he sends the deposit.

Why? I did help him plan a decent amount of his last guitar... though I can't take credit for the tragic bridge.

Yeah full custom. Gives me more time to put money aside to pay it off :LOL:

Unless it's like that one I ordered a little under two months ago, which is 95% done from the sound of things :ninja:

Nothing tragic about the bridge except for the time and money it took to get it in the damn guitar! It's worked like a dream since at least! :chuckle:

Actually, I think we have JimbobDodgyJazzmasterCopy-2_SE to thank for that. He recommended the Bridge Magician from what I remember.

At the Bridge Magician's lab, it's no ordinary breakfast, hence the delays.

Archived