As someone who knows nothing about playing instruments...

sangforabsolution

but largely, guitar is a more complex instrument to play. If one CAN play guitar with proficiency (as Chris can) it gives an advantage over those bass players who have no proficiency on guitar.

Then don't try to determine the skill level of the song -- which you obviously cannot.

And how do you know that?

Can you?

In general, in rock composition, the guitar plays the more complex, adroit parts. That's not meant to claim that playing bass is not difficult or requires LESS adroitness, -- there certainly are bass techniques that are not commonly used on guitar (slap for one -- and Sippe, you once posted a video of a guy playing slap guitar which was very impressive!!) -- but largely, guitar is a more complex instrument to play. If one CAN play guitar with proficiency (as Chris can) it gives an advantage over those bass players who have no proficiency on guitar.
Agreed.

Sippe, it's not a ridiculously easy bassline. That's my ONLY point. It's an admirable bassline that requires a decent amount of skill to pull off. I'm giving Chris a compliment FFS. :rolleyes:

But....1. You've already pointed out that the reason guitar players can play it is because it was written for guitar and 2. That Chris is also a guitarist. I don't really think that the bassline is in any way something special to be able to play for someone who at the time of its release had already been playing bass in a band for almost 10 years, and add to that a background as a guitarist.

Even as a mediocre guitar player, I can say with some certainty that the riff was likely written on guitar. It's NOT a typical bassline. It's very guitar-like in nature. That's why I'm guessing your friends who can play it are guitar players. Am I wrong?

One of them is. And also, that the bassline for Hysteria was written on guitar is pretty much common knowledge around here.

Then don't try to determine the skill level of the song -- which you obviously cannot.

That I don't consider myself a guitarist doesn't mean that I've never touched a guitar or understand the theory or the skill involved. Just as I don't have to be an amazing singer to judge Matt's singing abilities.

Agreed.

But....1. You've already pointed out that the reason guitar players can play it is because it was written for guitar

But that's not really what I'm getting at. I'm saying that proficient guitar players are more likely able to play the riff because, in general, in rock music, being proficient at guitar requires more adroitness than playing bass. Don't get me wrong! There's some smokin' bass players out there in rock who kick my ass 5 shades of black and blue with their sheer awesomeness! Hell, I give Chris that level of respect! He most certainly comes off as loving to play bass -- not as a 'bass player who'd rather be playing guitar'. :LOL: But I've known a fair amount of "I can play bass and be a rock star 'cause it's only one note at a time" types. Lol.

I don't really think that the bassline is in any way something special to be able to play for someone who at the time of its release had already been playing bass in a band for almost 10 years, and add to that a background as a guitarist.

Where did I ever say I thought it was awesome for MUSE? It's expected of Muse FFS. That's why I'm bummed at Madness. Lol!

One of them is. And also, that the bassline for Hysteria was written on guitar is pretty much common knowledge around here.

It is? I mean I honestly don't know.

That I don't consider myself a guitarist doesn't mean that I've never touched a guitar or understand the theory or the skill involved. Just as I don't have to be an amazing singer to judge Matt's singing abilities.

I dunno. Playing an instrument like guitar, or violin, or harp, or banjo, etc. etc, is VERY different from the techniques used for singing. I think they both require an innate talent for music, but the areas of the body they utilize, and how they use them, are very different. They have some things in common, but other things that have nothing in common.

I dunno. Playing an instrument like guitar, or violin, or harp, or banjo, etc. etc, is VERY different from the techniques used for singing. I think they both require an innate talent for music, but the areas of the body they utilize, and how they use them, are very different. They have some things in common, but other things that have nothing in common.

He said he knew the basics of how one would play a guitar. I think there was a mix up there.

But that's not really what I'm getting at. I'm saying that proficient guitar players are more likely able to play the riff because, in general, in rock music, being proficient at guitar requires more adroitness than playing bass.

But how does it change my point? It's still relevant to Chris' skill and abilities to play the riff.

Where did I ever say I thought it was awesome for MUSE? It's expected of Muse FFS. That's why I'm bummed at Madness. Lol!

I'm saying that level of skill is to be expected for ANY bassist that has been playing for that long, especially if they have a background as a guitarist.

It is? I mean I honestly don't know.

Yes.

:erm: I'm not saying that I can judge guitar/bass playing because I can judge singing, so I don't see what your point is. Of course it's different. What you are saying has NOTHING to do with what I said, which is that you don't have to master something to be able to judge it.

I have the basics of what it would take to play NFL football too. We call it "Armchair Quarterbacking". Lol!

Why is it that you as a mediocre guitar player and not-at-all bass player can judge things so seemingly without problems but I can't? :'(

But how does it change my point? It's still relevant to Chris' skill and abilities to play the riff.

Okay. How do I say this.....

Ummmm ....Chris is BETTER than the average bass player. Hasn't that been the question posed by the thread? I think Chris is better than the average bass player -- and his ability to play guitar is might be a factor in that.

It's a simple opinion. :p

I'm saying that level of skill is to be expected for ANY bassist that has been playing for that long,

:LOL: Length of time one has been "playing an instrument" has little to do with how GOOD, or SUCCESSFUL they will be playing that instrument professionally. There are some VERY mediocre bass players out there who are wealthy due to their "talent". :LOL:

Chris actually has talent.

you don't have to master something to be able to judge it.

Very true. But it does give some perspective. ;)

:LOL: Length of time one has been "playing an instrument" has little to do with how GOOD, or SUCCESSFUL they will be playing that instrument professionally. There are some VERY mediocre bass players out there who are wealthy due to their "talent". :LOL:

Chris actually has talent.

Ya but the odds of you being good at playing an instrument increase with the amount of time that you play it.

Very true. But it does give some perspective. ;)

Mastering something is very hard to quantify, wouldn't you agree Garth?

Okay. How do I say this.....

Ummmm ....Chris is BETTER than the average bass player. Hasn't that been the question posed by the thread? I think Chris is better than the average bass player -- and his ability to play guitar is might be a factor in that.

It's a simple opinion. :p

Chris is a very good bass player. But I think the point is Hysteria isn't the greatest example of his skill.

Well if you know enough about what would make a good play I don't see any reason why you couldn't critique one you saw on TV.

Of course I can critique it! But I don't think the New England Patriots are going to hire me to replace Bill Belichick any time soon! :LOL:

Chris is a very good bass player. But I think the point is Hysteria isn't the greatest example of his skill.

Oh fer Chrissakes!! :LOL: I used the first example that came up off the top of my head. I fully admit I don't have the entire Muse catalog of work memorized. Lol. For me, having 'audio sex' with the same band all the time gets old after a while. I like to aurally "sleaze around" to keep thing fresh. :LOL:

Archived