As someone who knows nothing about playing instruments...

sangforabsolution

I find that claim to be highly dubious. Matt had a decent grasp on music theory by the time he was, what -- 10 years old? AND his father was/is a guitar player. Theory transfers over all instruments. I suppose it's possible that Dom showed Matt a few chord fingerings, but the idea that someone who is suspected to be somewhat 'tone-perception challenged' could actually teach someone who is NOT 'tone-perception challenged' how to play an instrument based on tone is silly. And if Dom actually CAN play guitar with any kind of proficiency, why is there no evidence showing it to be so? Or is there? If you can post something that definitively shows that Dom can play guitar, I'll eat my words. :)

Dom taught Matt about power chords and how to play a couple of songs on guitar. You claimed that Dom could 'obviously' not play anything apart from drums, this disproves that, that was my point. Also, I'm pretty sure he said a year or two ago in an interview that he still likes to play guitar a bit at home.

Matt is generally considered to be quite slightly better than average in the guitar world. Mostly he is admired for his use of interesting effects and lack of simple chords.

Of all of them I think Dom is rated highest in his respective instrument. Dom is considered to be one of the best popular drummers around today.

Matt is generally considered to be quite slightly better than average in the guitar world. Mostly he is admired for his use of interesting effects and lack of simple chords.

Of all of them I think Dom is rated highest in his respective instrument. Dom is considered to be one of the best popular drummers around today.

I'll take your word for those but Matt's singing and piano factor in. Much much better than the average pianist in the rock/pop world and his singing is pretty good but I don't know much about that.

Hysteria isn't really that much of a difficult song. Muse have had some more difficult bass parts.

Futurism and New Born are far more difficult than Hysteria. Chris throws in a few little licks in some Showbiz songs which make them quite difficult especially for beginnners.

Dom taught Matt about power chords and how to play a couple of songs on guitar. You claimed that Dom could 'obviously' not play anything apart from drums, this disproves that, that was my point.

I also posted that if you have video, audio, or any other evidence of Dom's proficiency on guitar, I'd love to see it, and would admit my error.

What's up your ass anyway? :LOL:

I'll take your word for those but Matt's singing and piano factor in. Much much better than the average pianist in the rock/pop world and his singing is pretty good but I don't know much about that.

I can't speak for the piano and wouldn't be very confident in my knowledge of singers to come to a conclusion.

I also posted that if you have video, audio, or any other evidence of Dom's proficiency on guitar, I'd love to see it, and would admit my error.

What's up your ass anyway? :LOL:

Poo, why?

Also, how proficient he is with the guitar wasn't my point. You claimed that he could only play the drums, the fact that he has taught Matt things on the guitar disproves that. What are you not getting?

Poo, why?

Also, how proficient he is with the guitar wasn't my point. You claimed that he could only play the drums, the fact that he has taught Matt things on the guitar disproves that. What are you not getting?

And I replied that if Dom can play guitar, then I'd love to see it. What are YOU not getting?

My point is that Matt can't brush his teeth.

Can you find video proof of him brushing his teeth?

Therefore, I am right.

Well, seeing as his teeth don't appear to be falling out of his head, and his breath can't be THAT bad to land a beautiful famous actress, I'd say that's fairly good evidence that he can, indeed, brush his teeth. :LOL:

Maybe you could stop trolling me for once, Fabri :p

Thank you for pointing that out.

He didn't though :erm:

What kind of Muse fans are you if you think Dom taught Matt how to play the guitar? :LOL: He was playing guitar long before he was in Muse. Spanish guitar, to be exact.

I repeat, Dom taught Matt some power chords(according to the band themselves at least).

Probably because in all likelihood, the riff was written on guitar. That has been my point about Chris's "bonus" ability of being able to play guitar. I think some Muse songs work well with more "spartan" guitar parts because the basslines are more interesting than the average bassline. Of course that doesn't apply to ALL muse songs.

And Sippe, are you claiming that Hysteria has a simple, rambling bassline that any beginning bass player can pull off in the correct tempo for the duration of the song?

I do think it's likely far easier for a guitar player to learn bass than in is for a bass player to learn guitar. ;) Hence your guitar player friends being able to play the riff.

Now that Hysteria is so easy to play, perhaps you can show us all your chops? :D

Any bass player? I think YOU'RE looking for attention. :LOL:

What is your point about Chris' bonus ability of being able to play the guitar? Not sure what it has to do with playing Hysteria just because Matt came up with it on the guitar.

And when did I ever claim that? Why is everything always black or white to you? Hysteria is neither something any beginner can play perfectly, nor is it something that only a small amount of bassists can play. A minority of people in general, of course, since people who've never touched a bass aren't exactly gonna pick it up and start riffing away, but that's quite irrelevant and hardly something that makes Chris special. "He can play bass better than people who've never played bass". Yeah, congrats.

Also it's funny that you just assume that these people are guitar players ;)

And lastly, I'm neither a bassist or a guitarist, and nor have I ever even tried to play it. So no, I'm not gonna attempt to show you anything.

He didn't though :erm:

What kind of Muse fans are you if you think Dom taught Matt how to play the guitar? :LOL: He was playing guitar long before he was in Muse. Spanish guitar, to be exact.

I repeat, Dom taught Matt some power chords(according to the band themselves at least).

Well I know that, I just think that it's often forgotten.

What is your point about Chris' bonus ability of being able to play the guitar? Not sure what it has to do with playing Hysteria just because Matt came up with it on the guitar.

In general, in rock composition, the guitar plays the more complex, adroit parts. That's not meant to claim that playing bass is not difficult or requires LESS adroitness, -- there certainly are bass techniques that are not commonly used on guitar (slap for one -- and Sippe, you once posted a video of a guy playing slap guitar which was very impressive!!) -- but largely, guitar is a more complex instrument to play. If one CAN play guitar with proficiency (as Chris can) it gives an advantage over those bass players who have no proficiency on guitar.

Why is everything always black or white to you? Hysteria is neither something any beginner can play perfectly, nor is it something that only a small amount of bassists can play.

Sippe, it's not a ridiculously easy bassline. That's my ONLY point. It's an admirable bassline that requires a decent amount of skill to pull off. I'm giving Chris a compliment FFS. :rolleyes:

Also it's funny that you just assume that these people are guitar players ;)

Even as a mediocre guitar player, I can say with some certainty that the riff was likely written on guitar. It's NOT a typical bassline. It's very guitar-like in nature. That's why I'm guessing your friends who can play it are guitar players. Am I wrong?

And lastly, I'm neither a bassist or a guitarist, and nor have I ever even tried to play it. So no, I'm not gonna attempt to show you anything.

Then don't try to determine the skill level of the song -- which you obviously cannot.

Archived