Dailystar - Muse desperate to conquer America

Bells

I always feel Muse are the biggest band no-one's heard of.

If you get what I mean.

Yep!

Anytime I've mentioned being a fan in conversation people either stare at me blankly and say "I don't know who that is" or they do know who the band is but aren't plugged in (or they only know one song, usually KoC or SMBH).

Anytime I've mentioned being a fan in conversation people either stare at me blankly and say "I don't know who that is" or they do know who the band is but aren't plugged in .

It's like that for ANY band that's supposedly "huge". There's only a certain demographic that's going to be "in touch" with a band -- meaning, know the band's name, and/or recognize a big hit song and knowing the name of that band. That hasn't changed, ever. Muse should know that. How many people listening to radio in the 60's would be able to identify Telstar as being by a band called The Tornados? Muse are not the Beatles. No band will ever be what the Beatles were. Muse should be relieved by that fact. Not obsessed by it. For a group that supposedly enjoys their privacy, I find it amusing that their goals, and the company they keep are anything but. :LOL:

I get the feeling they want to do sold out back to back nights playing in stadiums, instead of arenas. :noey:

Dom outright said in a recent interview that he'd just want to play stadiums. As a Muse fan, I should want all the possible success for them but I wouldn't want to attend (just) stadiums to see them. If I didn't get golden circle GA tickets, I'd see very little point in going.

It seems Muse are doing relatively well in the US, but 100k for first week sales seems pretty atrocious, especially since Muse are an "album band" as opposed to a "single/radio band" and since TR sold 128k and every other album had previously a (first week) sales increase in comparison to the album before. You can't just pin it down to to album sales in general declining since Mumford&Sons just sold 600.000 the week before.

Dom outright said in a recent interview that he'd just want to play stadiums. As a Muse fan, I should want all the possible success for them but I wouldn't want to attend (just) stadiums to see them. If I didn't get golden circle GA tickets, I'd see very little point in going.

I agree. It is conflicting because I want them to be successful and happy with that success, but I am not into big stadium concerts in the US. Overseas stadium concerts feel different to me, more romanticized in a way. But over here, not so much. Once they get to that point in the US, my interest in seeing them live will wane quite a bit. :(

It seems Muse are doing relatively well in the US, but 100k for first week sales seems pretty atrocious, especially since Muse are an "album band" as opposed to a "single/radio band" and since TR sold 128k and every other album had previously a (first week) sales increase in comparison to the album before. You can't just pin it down to to album sales in general declining since Mumford&Sons just sold 600.000 the week before.

I think it boils down to Mumford and Sons having a much more powerful marketing and PR presence and more of a mainstream reach on radio than Muse. Mumford and Sons seems to be everywhere at the moment. :noey:

I think it boils down to Mumford and Sons having a much more powerful marketing and PR presence and more of a mainstream reach on radio than Muse. Mumford and Sons seems to be everywhere at the moment. :noey:

M&S's music is way more accessible to casual listener than Muse's eccentric style.

And with eccentric style I mostly mean Bellamy's voice. :chuckle:

I don't know much about Mumford&Sons. Are they known for their brilliant live performances?. I'm not sure whether Muse have ever sold albums well as a proportion of their fans tend not to BUY albums. Well that's an impression I have been given from reading various posts. Do both bands attract similar fans? I don't know. But, again, as I understand, Muse tend to do very well with their live performances.

I suppose from the band's point of view, it's easier to make money in a stadium, especially if their albums aren't selling well. Well it allows them to have the kind of stage they want. They have said before that what they want hasn't been viable. They have also said that their tour profits finance their album.

But I think Dom just likes playing in stadiums. He has said that often enough. Matt on the other hand is talking about going the other way, so I suppose it depends on who gets their way or whether Matt is just day dreaming. Matt may also be thinking that some time in the future they might not be as popular as they are now, being as his head is filled with all this 2nd Law stuff. The most popular band isn't always the best band in any case so it's not that important. But like Sade, I want success for them for their sakes.

Personally I prefer smaller gigs, I think most people do, but I wouldn't say that being in a stadium audience is a waste of time. I wasn't near the front at Wembley Stadium and I still had a great time. I don't have to see the band clearly to enjoy the gig, I just need to hear them. But saying that, it is still nice if the video screens allow the audience to see the band properly, which wasn't the case on the last stadium tour.

I think they fail to realise that we do actually like looking at them when they're playing. It's not boring at all.

That got a bit long.

PS Just read the previous two posts which give better explanations I think for the discrepancy in album sales between Muse and Mumford&Sons, though I wouldn't say Matt's voice is eccentric, rather distinctive, though I suppose the falsetto is unusual. That's another reason why I don't think they have gone out of their way to direct the music to an American audience who apparently don't like falsetto. I think Muse want success in America, but success on their own terms.

I do think it's true Dom is really the one most interested in being the biggest band in the world and playing stadiums in America. Matt pointed out in a recent interview that it can be bad when you stop playing smaller shows, and he'd like to go back to that at some point, but it's Matt so...:LOL:

This. There's this commercial folk revival movement going on right now (mostly) in the UK and M&S are the big leading group, and they're reaching mainstream America through best-selling recordings because apparently that's what people seem to be into today (because it's cool). And to be honest, in my opinion, Muse have never been the 'that's-what-people-want-to-hear-today' kind of band. They're not a fun band in general. They're not a cute band. They have fun and cute songs but concept music-obscurity-falsettos everywhere is still their signature. Maybe that's partly what is keeping them from being the "biggest band everyone's heard of", at least in America, I don't know.

A question for those of you who like the band, just our of curiosity: How well have Franz Ferdinand done in the US?

M&S's music is way more accessible to casual listener than the Muse's eccentric style.

And with eccentric style I mostly mean Bellamy's voice. :chuckle:

Yep.

Muse are not an album band, nor a singles band. They are a live band. It has always been this way and it will always be this way. Sales are down from TR because we continue to move in a direction where fewer people pay for music. Considering the Muse demographic, i am CERTAIN that loads of people are simply getting the album illegally, or dealing with free streams since almost every device with WiFi is basically an endless library of music at this point.

Mumford and sons appeals to a whole different pyschological/musical niche that is broader than muse and appeals to a wider part of the [generally ignorant] masses. Any muse tour will shit all over a mumford and sons tour in both ticket sales and revenue. Also, this is a surprisingly good article from a typically poor source:

http://www.theamericanconservative.com/mumford-sons-and-the-death-of-church-music/

Muse are not an album band, nor a singles band. They are a live band. It has always been this way and it will always be this way.

They are clearly more an album band than a single band. Madness did atrociously in the UK, the album still went #1- I think the US is the only(/one of the few) countries where it has had any sort of significant success as a single, the album still charted high in many countries. Sure, they are known as a "live band" as well, but it hardly makes sense that people who are not invested enough to fight for concert tickets ignore their commercial releases. Fandoms don't really work that way.

Sales are down from TR because we continue to move in a direction where fewer people pay for music. Considering the Muse demographic, i am CERTAIN that loads of people are simply getting the album illegally, or dealing with free streams since almost every device with WiFi is basically an endless library of music at this point.

Mumford and sons appeals to a whole different pyschological/musical niche that is broader than muse and appeals to a wider part of the [generally ignorant] masses. Any muse tour will shit all over a mumford and sons tour in both ticket sales and revenue.

My whole point was that yes, sales in albums are affected by downloading, but a an alternative group most definitely can still achieve high album sales if the public responds to the music. It's pretty ridiculous to act like Mumford&Sons' music somehow is as accessible&catchy as most of the stuff that gets played on the radio and something that "generally ignorant masses" (massive eyeroll for this comment, tbh) usually consume. They play a frigging banjo.

Also, this is a surprisingly good article from a typically poor source:

http://www.theamericanconservative.com/mumford-sons-and-the-death-of-church-music/

That article only works in the American context. Mumford&Sons are highly popular in Europe, too.

Archived