Dailystar - Muse desperate to conquer America

Bells

I find it absolutely absurd for any band with 5+ albums to play 15 songs (or <90 minutes since number of songs doesn't always accurately portray things). Maybe I'm just lucky with the shows I've seen, but I don't seem to encounter that much at all. Except for Marilyn Manson back in May.

Muse don't have any reason at all to be playing as short of sets as they did last tour. They have instrumentals they could squeeze in, and even a couple songs that Chris sings now, to give Matt's voice a rest.

“When I left the studio after having laid the foundations for the single Madness it was sparse.

“When I returned two days later, Chris and Dom Howard had put absolutely everything on it.”

What could this track have possibly sounded like without Dom and Chris? "Oh I forgot I had the album playing for three minutes until Matt actually began singing looooove!". ?

I find it absolutely absurd for any band with 5+ albums to play 15 songs (or <90 minutes since number of songs doesn't always accurately portray things). Maybe I'm just lucky with the shows I've seen, but I don't seem to encounter that much at all. Except for Marilyn Manson back in May.

Muse don't have any reason at all to be playing as short of sets as they did last tour. They have instrumentals they could squeeze in, and even a couple songs that Chris sings now, to give Matt's voice a rest.

Yup.

It was funny during the resistance tour when the Foos started theirs, 30 song, 3 hour epics :LOL: proper put to shame.

^

Exactly. Robert Smith is probably twice Muse's age, yet The Cure always play 3 hour shows, too. I guess it wouldn't bother me as much if Muse didn't feel the need to play more or less the same set every night. 15 or 16 songs a night doesn't leave much room for anything but the radio hits to come out. Maybe they could actually throw in some deeper cuts if they played 20+ songs.

I literally do not know one single person, in person, who knew who Muse was before I told them, and at my local stores, the CD went without selling a single copy for the first week.

It's depressing.

I was so suprised to see them play an arena in 2010, here, and actually have a decent amount of people there (it wasn't anywhere near sold out,) I nearly crapped my pants.

It could be your location. They're pretty well known here in CA. I hear their music (UD, Resistance and Madness) in grocery stores right alongside all of the other bland pop out there like Coldplay. That's when you know you've really made it in the US. Muse should be so proud! :rolleyes::LOL:

Muse aren't really that well known in England, not beyond people who follow music. They are not a household name, though their music is played a lot on the television, currently Knights is being played a lot in previews of Merlin, but of course it doesn't identify the band.

Actually, I think it's rather nice like that.

I doubt they are as desperate to crack America as this article claims. It's probably a matter of natural progression and cracking America is the obvious next step.

It doesn't mean they will be hugely disappointed if it doesn't happen. Matt has been talking recently of going in the other direction. I'm not sure whether he has Dom or Chris's support for that however.

I would imagine the US fans would hope that they will continue to do well enough in America for them to tour regularly, however.

Really? Hm, that's strange. I always thought they were huge there and in Europe in general.

They're huge in that they fill stadiums.

But they haven been described, perhaps by one of the guys themselves, I can't remember, as "the biggest band no one's heard of".

Though I think the Kate Hudson effect may be happening here too. Matt has probably never appeared in The Sun or The Daily Mail as many times in his whole career! :LOL: And I imagine it is much to his annoyance too.

Though not generally being a follower of celebrity gossip (or the Sun or the Daily Mail I hasten to add) I'm not sure whether or not Kate Hudson is all that well known, over here. And I'm also not sure what affect that has on Muse in general.

Personally, I hope that they become popular for their music, rather than anything else, and I think that is what they will want too.

Really? Hm, that's strange. I always thought they were huge there and in Europe in general.

I think they're pretty big in England, but aside from France, Germany, Italy, they aren't really that popular in the rest of the Europe. Especially down in the woods that is the Balkans.

LOL at Matt saying Coldplay are the only English group to have success here in the last 15 years. Apparently he's never heard of Mumford & Sons.

Not even near the level of popularity of Coldplay.

Also Mumford & Sons are really average. Nothing special there. Because just think they are because they hear a banjo and think I haven't heard this on the radio recently. Doesn't matter because they are stupid.

Commercial success in the US doesn't look like success elsewhere in the world.

I don't think Muse would really want to be a commercial success in the US if they knew what that actually meant. Plenty of bands in the US fill stadiums and sell lots of records without reaching Justin Bieber or Nicki Minaj heights. I can understand wanting to sell records and fill stadiums here. They already do that. But I would have a real hard time with Muse if I saw them pitching soda, or appearing on American Idol or something. I'd rather they go on filling stadiums, selling records, winning Grammies, and staying OUT of the TMZ/Lindsay Lohan type media hype.

By that definition, and in every way that counts, they've already "conquered" America.

Archived