Lyric Discussion Thread

Seaking

lol James scared of infractions for off-topic

More like "lol James providing a useful thread to the board that isn't a ridiculous and asinine poll". (A bit redundant that sentence but still better than some of Matt's lyrics).

Lyrics ranking: Absolution > BH&R = OoS > Showbiz = T2L > TR

God damn lists already.

I actually was making a big post about every album's lyrics, dividing the good lyrics, the decent lyrics, the bad lyrics, but then I decided to scrap it.

Well I am listening to BH&R right now (been a while too) so I can do it for that album.

Only at MoTP but I've never been a fan of the lyrics in TaB nor in Starlight.

Well I am listening to BH&R right now (been a while too) so I can do it for that album.

Only at MoTP but I've never been a fan of the lyrics in TaB nor in Starlight.

Ok just for BH&R:

Good: Take a Bow, MoTP, Assassin, CIty of Delusion, Hoodoo, Glorious

Decent: Supermassive, Soldier's Poem, Invincible, Knights

Bad: Starlight, Exo-Politics.

IMO

Ok just for BH&R:

Good: Take a Bow, MoTP, Assassin, CIty of Delusion, Hoodoo, Glorious

Decent: Supermassive, Soldier's Poem, Invincible, Knights

Bad: Starlight, Exo-Politics.

I would add Soldier's Poem to good. I wish they had included that song on Absolution when they had the chance.

Man, Soldier's Poem could have been one of their best b-sides. Instead it's there, destroying the flow of the album :(

#TruFax

I think if you include Starlight into bad lyrics you also have to include Invincible. Although I'm not sure cheesy = bad.

#TruFax

I think if you include Starlight into bad lyrics you also have to include Invincible. Although I'm not sure cheesy = bad.

I tend to consider Invincible's ones better than Starlight. Don't know why, maybe just personal preference.

I really like the chorus.

"during the struggle

They will pull us down

But please, please let's use this chance to

Turn things around"

is really good imo.

*waits for Sippe telling you that Hoodoo lyrics are overrated*

my favourite Muse lyrics are Fury ones.

Sippe wishes they were overrated. I think they fit the music/album so damn well and in a way they are like reverse cheesy while still avoiding the TaB area (hopefully you get what I mean).

The only line I dislike in Fury is "make a fuss" and it's really only half a line.

My favorite is Megalomania.

/contribution

Sippe wishes they were overrated. I think they fit the music/album so damn well and in a way they are like reverse cheesy while still avoiding the TaB area (hopefully you get what I mean).

"while still avoiding the TaB area" is not very clear. Do you find TaB cheesy? :unsure:

Origin of Symmetry has some of Matt's best lyrics to date. Citizen Erased (1st favourite), Megalomania (2nd favourite), Darkshines and even Screenager with its simplicity, so the album wins for me.

And some of the b-sides, compared to most of their album songs, seem to have received some special treatment lyric wise as well. Fury, Shine, Glorious, Dead Star etc, and I really wish he would make an effort to write better lyrics today instead of focus entirely on music excessiveness and stage production...

"while still avoiding the TaB area" is not very clear. Do you find TaB cheesy? :unsure:

No I don't find it cheesy but it's almost the equivalent of Starlight but for dark songs. It's hard to explain.

Origin Of Symmetry has some great work.

I like Soaked. Especially after I heard Adam Lambert's spin on it. It's sort of like your traditional love/cheesy song but the last line sort of implies like it's ok worse things have happened lets move on.

No I don't find it cheesy but it's almost the equivalent of Starlight but for dark songs. It's hard to explain.

So you mean it's the cheesiest non-cheesy song they could have done? Nah I disagree. Up there with Matt's best lyrics.

I mean, "our freedom's consuming itself, what we've become is contrary to what we want" is just fantastic for me.

So you mean it's the cheesiest non-cheesy song they could have done? Nah I disagree. Up there with Matt's best lyrics.

I mean, "our freedom's consuming itself, what we've become is contrary to what we want" is just fantastic for me.

I'm not saying it's bad but ya it's the cheesiest non-cheesy song they have.

But it's so haunting, so angry even though it's not shouting. Well I'm showing why it's my favourite song afterall

It has that classic Muse repetition though:

Death

You bring death

Race

Life's a race

Best

You've got to be the best

So it loses a few points for that.

Just remembered Muscle Museum. I love those lyrics.

"I have played in every toilet

But you still want to spoil it

To prove I’ve made a big mistake

Too long trying to resist it

You’ve just gone and missed it

It’s escaped your world"

This verse.

Archived