Help making new toans

Neil.

Hello folks,

Halp plox!

As many of you know, I'm a big fan of ableton. Over the last few days, I've been playing around with the Sampler instrument. For those of you unfamiliar with Sampler, it lets you take a single sample (usually short) and then make that a basis for a range of notes. A well known example of this would be Daft Punk's Aerodynamic, where as far as i know, they used one glitchy-distorted guitar note, and then made the well known guitar riff.

I'm looking to have a go at doing something similar. It's just an experiment at the moment, BUT, I also have the GuitarRig Plugin/VST, so I have the ability to make a few little changes if needs be. What I'm interested in though, is some of my other plugins, which could be fun with, for example, a nice rich humbucker type sound. The problem is that my gear setup, by comparison to some of the other people on here, is not great. Some of you chaps and chappettes have all sorts of cool guitars, basses, amps, and effects.

So, if you're interested, I'm looking for a few one-note recordings that I could use. Simple as that, one note, mid-fret board (I think 12th fret on one of the thicker strings would be good for going both up and down in pitch) that you just let ring out. I've a couple of ideas, but, I'm definitely interested in any ideas people might have! Here's the list I'm currently interested in, but as I said, if you've any cool ideas, do let me know!

• Clean bridge high-output humbucker
  • Clean bridge high-output humbucker, palm muted
  • A good distorted Muse tone. We all know the tasty driven tone I'm talking about
  • Not sure if it's the same as that one, but the Guiding Light solo tone
  • A fuzz factory one would be nice, but, because the FF is so dynamic in response, I suspect I'd need at least 1 full octave of samples.
  • A clean bass note. I'm not sure how to go about this one, so if any bass players are interested, maybe a few options?

That's all i can think of for now. Any help with this would be appreciated. :)

Cheers

Edited by Neil.

I can supply most of these. Does it need to be high quality recording? (320kbps vs 120kbps)

Mmmm... I'd imagine anything about 192 would be tasty. Obviously something like 320 would be nice, but I'm probably going to put things like redux on them at some stage.

how are you going to "play" the sampler?

So, once you set up the root note (lets say for arguments sake it's a C2), then ableton basically pitch shifts it to a whole keyboard scale. There's various tips depending on what kind of an instrument you're using. Like if you're doing a piano, one of the tips is to go with Middle C, and then go up and down from there. I think one such guide said to stick to about 24 notes either side of your root note, but there's examples of ones that go waaaay more than that.

As an example in Ableton, there is a guitar one in there that uses one sample from a strat, BUT, I don't think it's that good. It sounds like a very mediocre sample to start with.

I am pretty sure that an e note on the 14th fret of the D string shifted down would sound nothing like a real open low E. (and i am not talking about the glitches/fails of the shifting algorithm)

Btw you can find a lot of instruments like that on the net with the difference that they have recorded most/all of the possible notes instead of shifting only one.

If everything fails look for kore instruments for the NI Koreplayer or whatever their sampler is called and render it's output into wav so you can use it in Ableton.

(btw i'd bet half of my testicle that the earpiercing legato/tapping like riff in Aerodynamic is not sampled, you can hear all sorts of human playing like fails/variations in tone/timing)

I thought 'sampling' instruments was more than just one note and involved each note at different velocities, styles, etc but your idea sounds interesting NeilDOT.

Not sure if my bass would sound great but I can try recording my upright also for a bit more interesting sound.

(btw i'd bet half of my testicle that the earpiercing legato/tapping like riff in Aerodynamic is not sampled, you can hear all sorts of human playing like fails/variations in tone/timing)

FWIW, there's a couple of ableton project files that are sort of basis/starting points for doing an aerodynamic remake. The vast majority of them work off one sample. I know what you mean about the little fails and human bits, but that can be done in ableton. More likely is though, as you said, that they used a bunch of notes and a variety of sample. Maybe somthing like 3 or 4 samples for each note.

In anycase, the piano ones in Sampler are based off 1 sample. Kore player is something I looked at, but in Komplete 7, the library for it is like 60Gb or something fucked like that.

The way I see it is, I'll try with 1 sample, and if it works, then I'll see how I'd go about doing each note.

I thought 'sampling' instruments was more than just one note and involved each note at different velocities, styles, etc but your idea sounds interesting NeilDOT.

Not sure if my bass would sound great but I can try recording my upright also for a bit more interesting sound.

Yeah I suspect it will, but as an experiment, one note would be ok for a starter. Upright bass sounds pretty cool though!

Oh right! my bad chedda.

What I usually do for anything like that is use my AKAI APK Mini. It's a handy little production keyboard. I use the keyboard for midi, then the pads for activating/deactivating various plugins, and then the knobs are usually set to an effects rack including EQ, Redux, Compressor, StereoWidth and Master Volume. I'm sure there's probably better ways to setup the AKPMini, but this works for me.

Sounds interesting with the midi guitar, although I'd imagine just recording an acoustic bass with a good quality mic etc gives much much better results.

This is an assignment I had to do in the first year of uni all to do with sampling. It's definitely not going to set the music world on fire but all of the sounds are samples I took from various things I had lying around the flat (typical last minute, day before rush) but none of them are musical instruments. Can't remember what I used as a kick drum but the other percussion is made from a Zippo lighter and an aerosol spray near the end for a hi-hat, the Rhodes piano/synth sound was made by blowing across the top of a bottle and then editing that tone down to a single note, and the theremin type sounds were made by running a finger round the top of a wine glass. With the pitched stuff I think I only used a single note each time and let the sampler to the work in terms of shifting the sounds to different pitches.

[soundcloud]

[/soundcloud]