personally I wouldn't spend £1000 on a headphone amp. The Audiolab 8200CDQ is a pre amp which you connect to a power amp or multiple power amps and then to speakers. A good pre amp and power amp system will usually sound better than an integrated amp but it depends on the gear & the price.

The 8200CDQ also has a CD player, headphone amp and with relevance to this thread a DAC. The price of good DAC will usually start at around £300. If you are not using a good quality DAC with HD audio then what's the point?

If it was just a headphone amp £1000 would be a bit rich. Anyone interested in just a headphone amp checkout something like Musical Fidelity X-Can. You could pick one up now second hand for around £99.

I guess most of this doesn't mean much to some people as they are listening to their HD audio on a basic PC with a sound card that cost about £20 (a bit like Rik Waller buying expensive running shoes).

• 3 weeks later...

No more appreciation? :(

Just picking up on this thread.

(...) downconverting the HD files back to 44.1/16 and burning back to CD gives a better outcome than the commercial disc - and the are moments when the differences aren't subtle.

What would be the suggested format? The flac files are rather big, and I came over a suggestion that said wav files were the way to go. I'm using Audacity to 'reformat' the songs (I don't even know if that's an okay way to do it). But actually, turning them info wav files made them even bigger than they originally were :$ (although not by much).

What would you suggest to change the files into? I'm sending them over to Winamp on Android, that cannot play flac (:rolleyes:), but I suppose it plays more 'regular' formats. I'm thinking MP3 is too harsh, or is that what the commercial CD has?

Yeah, converting to WAV from FLAC would just make the files bigger, that's what FLAC's for! :LOL:

Commercial CD is just 16 bit 44.1khz WAV (maximum 1411kbps)...FLAC and ALAC are lossless formats that keep the original WAV quality but save space...MP3 is 320kbps maximum so whatever you do, you're losing audio quality by converting to that format...

Although taking a 24 bit 96khz file and converting it down to MP3 at all is just...:facepalm:

Right, right, sadly I have to make them smaller in size and in another format to play on me little Android. :(

If you're going to compress them, then it doesn't really matter which codec you use (obviously given the caveat that your playback device must support it!). MP3 is probably as good as anything, because while it's anything but the most modern and efficient, it does the job and is universally supported. It isn't inherently harsh - it tends to go that way when the bitrate gets a bit too low, but then so do most of the other lossy codecs. I've never used Audacity so not sure what its encoding options are, but if you start by setting 320kbit/sec (or maybe a bit higher) fixed (rather than variable) bitrate and leave whatever else at default it should sound tidy enough. Give it a listen afterwards and if your ears are happy, that's what counts. :)

Madness - 1.40, there's an odd squeak, it almost sounds like a "bckerk" of a chicken hahah. Can anyone else here that or am i just going mad?(ness)

:LOL: I hear it! Might be Matt touching the strings of the guitar?

It doesn't seem to anything like that, as you don't hear it on the instrumental version of the song. Ergo, whatever it is, it seems to be on the vocal track. Sounds like some kind of Madness, for sure. Matt throttling a penguin, maybe...

Citizen Crazed, great to read your replies as always. I chose the highest-rate mp3 I could get (320 kbps). I can't hear a difference really. The best part about it anyways is that it keeps the sound levels as it is.

I'm so amazed at how well produced this album is. It's almost unbelieavable. It's not like artists promote that they "go against the loudness war" and gets media attention for it.

Follow Me, for example, looks like this:

follow%20me%20the%202nd%20law%20hd%20audio-003.jpg It actually gets louder during the chorus. It's not that hearable, though, it just sort of gets an extra oomph when it comes, which is so delicious. I just love it. Love it! <3

These are the flac files from the HD Audio Digital Remastered ® whatever. I suspect the actual CD has less difference between the levels. I should rip them and compare them. Don't know if it has been done yet?

If the producer of this album has done so well, I think he/she should go and make Absolution and BHaR again. :phu:

• 1 month later...
I would love to see a video of Matt singing the real high pitch bits that go along with the guitar at the end of Survival. Must look mad

I doubt that it'd look that much different to all his other notes in that area :p

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I need a little help.

I have my HD files of The 2nd Law on my PC and they work just fine though my sound system when played on the PC. But when I want to play them on my phone then the soundcard of the phone can't handle it and the audio gets messy and full of static. So my question is, what is the best free audio converter? So I could convert my 4000kbps FLAC files to aprox 1000kbps FLAC files. When I'm on the go and want to listen to the album then it's just impossible because I get seriously irritated by these glitches. The phone doesn't have a problem playing 1000kbps FLAC files, plays them nice and smooth with all of the detail that you can get from a smartphone.

Any help would be appriecated.

I need a little help.

I have my HD files of The 2nd Law on my PC and they work just fine though my sound system when played on the PC. But when I want to play them on my phone then the soundcard of the phone can't handle it and the audio gets messy and full of static. So my question is, what is the best free audio converter? So I could convert my 4000kbps FLAC files to aprox 1000kbps FLAC files. When I'm on the go and want to listen to the album then it's just impossible because I get seriously irritated by these glitches. The phone doesn't have a problem playing 1000kbps FLAC files, plays them nice and smooth with all of the detail that you can get from a smartphone.

Any help would be appriecated.

dbPowerAmp will convert it down to 44.1khz, 24bit. That should bring the bitrate down. The HD Audio files will still sound great at even 16bit./44khz. The reason it sounds better is because of the mastering, the higher sampling rate/bit depth are just slight bonuses in comparison imo

May as well convert it to MP3, difference will be minimal.

edit: what size can your phone take?

Well, even on the phone the FLACs are noticeably clearer than 320kbps mp3 files. What do you mean by "what size can your phone take?". It goes up to 1200kbps with clearity and from there on it gets messy quality wise.

Archived