Sustainiac scream?

Foxpaw

In the beginning of the making of 2nd law, you can see Matt using his Alloy 7 with the Sustainiac system making strange screaming feedback.

For my ears that's a lot different from the usual harmonic feedback mode of the Fernandes Sustainer, as this harmonic scream seems to come immediately.

(Using the Sustainer it takes a while to get that harmonic "jump", see Vai's Sustainer trick, or Muse's performance of SMBH in Seatlle.)

Is this a fundamental difference between the Sustainiac and the Fernandes Sustainer, or the result of something else? (7 string guitar, amp feedback, custom Sustainiac for Matt, using an effect pedal in addition, etc?)

I just love that instant screaming feedback, want to find a way to reproduce it.

I don't know about any of the technical stuff, but it ís possible to have the harmonic effect almost immediately. Instead of strumming the string with your right hand, just press the string with your left hand, so that the sustainer kicks in immediately and you'll get the squeek. Otherwise I don't know.

i haven't seen the video (box set not arrived yet) but with a sustainer harmonic mode you can just the artifical harmonic directly rather than letting the sustainer change the pitch of the note to skip the jump

After rewatching again and again that particular part of the video I got the impression that Matt possible uses the Digitech Whammy to achieve that screaming sound, but I am not entirely sure.

It's not artificial harmonics, and Matt even using a slight vibrato on the notes. Standard note picking is seen on the vid, nothing fancy.

It could be the heavy strings of 7 string + sustainer for the smooth feedback feel + whammy 2 octaves for the actual scream. Any ideas?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived