Glenn Beck responds to criticism from Muse band leader Matthew Bellamy

Riveon

If he does, I hope he remembers positive freedom. It's no good giving a person a book unless you first teach that person to read.

We need supportive collective networks in order for individuals to be free. That doesn't mean there's no reason to fight against overly oppressive systems.

This is a real blind spot in the American psyche where we won't accept the inter-dependence of all people, the inter-dependent nature of life in general. It's one of the main things that drives me nuts about my own country. There is this myth that so many here seem to buy into that makes them think they've completely and entirely pulled themselves up by their own bootstraps, and it's just not true.. :rolleyes:

It would be cool to see a response to Beck from Matt! :chuckle: Even if he doesn't respond directly, I wonder if some interviewer later on will ask him about it and we'll get his opinion then.

We should be willing to see through that power structure: it's a theme both Beck and Bellamy seem to believe in....

That's how I can be a Muse fan and a conservative.

Putting it back on topic, it's sort of gratifying to me to see that wicked riffage can bring people together who normally wouldn't think they could be friends.

Musers unite.

:yesey:

I'm a lefty, tree-hugging hippie, and don't like Beck's political views at all, but yes.....Musers unite! :musesign:

....though I could see where Matt would not want his music affiliated with this guy, politically, but you can't stop someone liking or listening to your music for their own personal enjoyment or inspiration.

Dear Glenn Beck,

Please take your toys out of the sandbox and go home.

-JSS

I'm a lefty, tree-hugging hippie, and don't like Beck's political views at all, but yes.....Musers unite! :musesign:

....though I could see where Matt would not want his music affiliated with this guy, politically, but you can't stop someone liking or listening to your music for their own personal enjoyment or inspiration.

Like how Paul Ryan is a hardcore Rage Against the Machine fan? :rolleyes::LOL:

Does that mean you think only people who think like you should be allowed to be Muse fans? I am just checking, because if so, I guess I should hand over all my Muse stuff and be on my way.

:stunned:

No. Only Glenn.

BAH! Fucking board crash made me lose my long edit/reply.

Basically, I am against Glenn being here because of his loudmouth and arrogant persona rather than merely his politics. If he were to address everything in the manner that he did in the letter addressed to Matt, then we'd probably get along. Since he does not, I do not like him. I have many conservative friends and family members and I get along with them just fine. We learn to leave our politics at the door and go from there. I try to do so here as well for the most part. It is why I stay out of the political threads and current events. But it is difficult to do so when the line is blurred within this topic.

Matt should respond something like

"Dear Glenn

tl;dr

Would you be so kind and adress me as "Mr Bellamy" in the future?

Mr Bellamy"

Yes love it! Though as fans, we don't refer to him as Mr Bellamy often! Though neither do we publish letters to him.

I thought that if Mr Bellamy could be bothered to respond at all, it would be better coming from a "muse spokesperson" with a stilted message basically saying thanks but no thanks.

I wouldn't say the right has nothing to offer, but unfortunately the right wing way of thinking just leads to excessive corporate power and prioritization of the market place. Of course both sides can argue that ultimately we want people to be good. Obviously that needs some definition. I don't know - to care about the welfare of others, perhaps. That's not just down to the rich. Everyone should have an opportunity to develop their talents, live worthwhile lives and make a contribution. The trouble is that in a society with vast inequalities, where contributing to the economy is seen as the only worthwhile contribution, and there is no support for those who have other responsibilities, there just isn't the time and opportunity for a lot of people to do that. The left is more about trying to give everyone the opportunity to live the most fulfilling and good lives they can. That shouldn't only be open to the wealthy.

Incidentally for musemomof4 - in the Kerrang interview Matt did actually say he had a right wing side to his brain as well as a left wing side - so you're probably all right. ;):chuckle:

Not that I'm sure he understood what right wing meant - he thought it was associated with progress and innovation I think. I don't think the left are against progress and innovation just want it alongside social inclusion.

i don't think matt should respond to it unless he just wants to give the talking rectum self validation.

I also don't think he should address it, at least publicly, at the risk of alienating this hard core fan.

I would be totally gutted if he came back with some version of "you worthless right wing slime, I want nothing to do with you or people like you."

I don't want to feel like my favorite band doesn't want me around, ya know?

If I can set aside my politics to enjoy songs like Animals, I would hope Matt could set aside his politics and enjoy the fact that he reaches all walks of life with his talents.

I also don't think he should address it, at least publicly, at the risk of alienating this hard core fan.

I would be totally gutted if he came back with some version of "you worthless right wing slime, I want nothing to do with you or people like you."

If I can set aside my politics to enjoy songs like Animals, I would hope Matt could set aside his politics and enjoy the fact that he reaches all walks of life with his talents.

Matt said the first time regarding Glenn Beck interpreting Uprising as close to his views, that anyone can listen to their music and make whatever interpretation they like. He just doesn't personally support the views of Glenn Beck. I don't think he can really be fairer than that.

I think Matt just wanted to clarify his own position.. He has said he doesn't want his music used for political propaganda. (He said that that has nothing to do with the political values of the group using it, but I'm not sure how he would respond to his music being used by The Environmental Movement or something like that). Anyway, that's nothing to do with whether or not he welcomes fans who hold different views to his own.

And I agree, Matt's been extremely diplomatic up to this point.

I really think Glenn is a fanboy, and he's trying to get Matt to come on his radio show so they can pow wow and Glenn can feel good that he and a guy he's a fan of could be friends in real life.

Glenn's nothing if not egotistical...

Just gonna drop this off here. (vid excerpt of Glen Beck's radio show discussing his 'open letter')

All I can say is - :LOL: & :rolleyes:

Never has the tag of this thread applied so well!

I certainly hope Matt does *not* respond to this egotistical clown who's just dying for attention from his idol.

http://www.glennbeck.com/content/blog/glenn/response-to-muse-front-man-matthew-bellamy/

Just gonna drop this off here. (vid excerpt of Glen Beck's radio show discussing his 'open letter')

I certainly hope Matt does *not* respond to this egotistical clown who's just dying for attention from his idol.

http://www.glennbeck.com/content/blog/glenn/response-to-muse-front-man-matthew-bellamy/

Beck is just dying for attention in general. Absolutely vile person.

i think you're far too concerned about what matt/muse thinks of you or your political beliefs :stunned: it's not like he knows you personally right?

now if you go start your own radio show and start spewing racist, fanatical, mentally unbalanced pooh and said that muse were your choir and that matthew bellamy was your brain twin...then they might notice you and move on to finding you offensive :p

What a nutjob :rolleyes:

Archived