Every instrument can be dreadful.

I know, I'm just pointing out that Muse + synths isn't always necessarily a good thing. I'd definitely be up for them incorporating some glitch synth like Fabri suggested earlier though, provided they could do it right.

not in every case.

I always thought Muse are very well aware how their more ridiculous/cheesier songs sound like and make it even cheesier (GL) or more ridiculous (Survival).

It's not like they intended GL to sound "good" in the traditional sense. I actually think they nailed the cheesy 80s stadium rock sound :chuckle:

In other words: If Muse actually try to write a "good" rock song, it mostly turns out to be good. ( MKU, Uprising, US, Supremacy, Animals).

Matt has straight up said he created GL as a cheesy 80s stadium rock song, and intentionally used sounds that weren't "acceptable" in rock music anymore.

Between that and a released video of the three of them openly laughing at the choir vocals in Survival, I would say they're more than aware (and intentionally) being ridiculous at times.

This can't really be a shock to anyone listening to Muse over the last three albums (at least.)

I might classify parts of US as "ridiculous" though. :chuckle:

Matt has straight up said he created GL as a cheesy 80s stadium rock song, and intentionally used sounds that weren't "acceptable" in rock music anymore.

Well, i have nothing against them using 'unacceptable' sounds. Origin wasn't acceptable for America at the time, and few bands as big as Muse do things like Exogenesis or The 2 Law (the songs)

The fact that it was intentional doesn't make it any less shit imo. It's possible for a song to be intentionally cheesy in a fun way (I Belong To You) but Guiding Light's just horrible and cringey to listen to.

Well, i have nothing against them using 'unacceptable' sounds. Origin wasn't acceptable for America at the time, and few bands as big as Muse do things like Exogenesis or The 2 Law (the songs)

I think the only thing about OoS that was unacceptable for the US at the time was the falsetto in PiB meaning the label didn't see a usable radio single.

Tragic, really, but in line with what was "in" at the time.

The fact that it was intentional doesn't make it any less shit imo. It's possible for a song to be intentionally cheesy in a fun way (I Belong To You) but Guiding Light's just horrible and cringey to listen to.

I find the two songs absolutely the opposite, really.

I can't stand IBTY, but GL appeals to me in an overdramatic, "cheesy" emotional sort of way.

Possibly because I grew up in the 80s, and still secretly like that sort of thing. :LOL:

I think I'm one of the ten musers who really like Guiding Light, I love clapping the intro and singing along, Matts vocals are actually very underrated in this song also. It has a half decent guitar solo and I actually think they're nice lyrics, I always refer to the woman I love as "my guiding light"

But I really hope they never make a song in this direction again! Haha

I have very high hopes for a real rockin 7th album. Full of RATM inspired riffs and heaviness. Origin Part 2!

I think I'm one of the ten musers who really like Guiding Light, I love clapping the intro and singing along, Matts vocals are actually very underrated in this song also. It has a half decent guitar solo and I actually think they're nice lyrics, I always refer to the woman I love as "my guiding light"

But I really hope they never make a song in this direction again! Haha

I have very high hopes for a real rockin 7th album. Full of RATM inspired riffs and heaviness. Origin Part 2!

Guiding Light is a good song, just not a good Muse song. It especially pisses me off when they play it live. Every time Guiding Light is played, they're taking the slot of the best stuff that they don't play (Muscle Museum/Showbiz/Glorious/The Small Print/Assassin). Same goes for Feeling Good, it really doesn't need to be played anymore. They have hundreds of studio tracks and b-sides. No more covers unless it's for a special occasion.

Matt mentions it again. Better be true!

In the Q! Magazine interview (I don't have scans yet) he also mentions going for a cohesive/coherent/more conceptual album.

Lol.

Would be great and pretty much exactly what I'd like to see them do but, like other people have said, they've said this before and it always seems to breakdown when they actually get in the studio.

Archived