I wouldn't write Chris off completely, of course that is not fair. However, I don't think this is really a relevant point:

I really hate how people are writing Chris off after too songs. If we judged Muse by the first two songs Matt wrote none of us would be here right now.

Muse is now a band with a rather big following, millions of albums sold, next on their 7th album. Does it really make sense to set the standard for songs submitted on the album to be where Matt/Muse was 15+ years ago? I don't mind Chris writing songs, I rather like LS even if it's somewhat generic (the production is the biggest issue imo), however the songs need to be judged whether they are good enough for a Muse album, not whether they are decent efforts by a less experienced songwriter.

Interestingly, if Muse really does decide to go with the more "straightforward three-piece rock of the earlier years" approach, I can easily see Chris writing more. Again, that is fine, although personally I still am not sold on the concept of Chris singing on a Muse album, not even after a year. I hope Matt will sing any possible future songs written by Chris.

And the lyrics aren't really the problem.

What is the problem?

The songs melodically being more on the weaker side of 2nd Law?

Personally, Matt's vocals were a big draw initially for me with Muse, and a change of singer is a bit too hard for me to swallow.

I'm not saying Chris is a bad singer, but definitely sub par to Matt, and not my cup of tea.

Agreed on that, at this point, Muse shouldn't be going backwards to a level of experience in writing/singing that they were at 20 years ago.

If LS and SM were a completely different band that I had never heard of, I would have given them one listen and been done, unfortunately. So, while I really respect what he did, and I think putting those personally important songs on the album was touching, I do hope it's the last of it we see.

LS I can get why people enjoy; SM, I'm sorry, was just one overly long borefest.

I'd personally like to see more from Chris. I think he can do much better. I thought liquid state was fantastic and although lacking a bit, for one of the first songs sung by him. Maybe he should try making a separate EP or something while muse stick to their albums. I think it'll be cool.

Yeah an EP sounds cool. I wouldn't write him off as a songwriter completely though, I think people underestimate him quite a bit.

Archived