Yup they once were the best three piece live band to create a rock-solid, full sound with just the three of them. The songs themselves and the switching of instruments created plenty of diversity to entertain for a full show.

Now they're the three piece live band best at hiding behind sounds that are pre-recorded or come from a dude in the shadows. Ok, maybe it's just Matt who's leaving his guitar and piano alone too much, but the trend of adding more sounds while playing less of them is not a good one. Three-piece rock is where it's at, strip naked, back to basics and bring back over the top bombast as a climax, not as the norm.

Also, cut the cheese please.

This.

The appeal of Muse was always the shock of just what three people could achieve sonically. That ethos and mystique has completely gone now.

The band got themselves into a corner where the shows just had to get bigger and bigger every time, and the press around them being massive and ridiculous live got so strong, that I can easily see them being afraid that scaling it back, especially abruptly, could be a disaster for their popularity (especially as a live band, which is where I understand they make most of the money.)

I'm sure a lot of people actually do go to those gigs anticipating seeing what crazy shit they're going to do next, in fact in line at both my gigs this album, people were discussing the pillars from TR, and wondering how this show was going to be better or assuming they couldn't top it and it was going to be disappointing.

I'm not saying I agree with it, but I can understand it.

And again, this has been ramping up for the last decade.

Well its a simple economic fact, we've gotten as big, live, as they possibly can. Even the band said they've lost money on some shows. I imagine on the next tour they'll have to reduce the number of stadium gigs, do more arena shows and a few festivals. Then if they go their separate ways from WBM at the end of their contract they'll probably have to scale things back.

Well its a simple economic fact, we've gotten as big, live, as they possibly can. Even the band said they've lost money on some shows. I imagine on the next tour they'll have to reduce the number of stadium gigs, do more arena shows and a few festivals. Then if they go their separate ways from WBM at the end of their contract they'll probably have to scale things back.

This tour is the last one under Warner.

What motivation would they have to lose all the benefits of being with Warner?

Maybe they want to try a new territory for them. That's what they've been saying in interviews since last year.

Nothing would even change if they didn't renew their contract.

Maybe, maybe not.

Don't be silly, Warner is obviously the only thing stopping Muse from writing a great album.

Of course. My sources told me Warner asked them to write uncohesive music.

i think Matt is influenced a lot by whatever he hears around. If you remember before the last album, he said that when he was on holidays in Greece he heard Dire Straits and it inspired him for some songs; before Absolution he was listening to some Iraqi radio station and that inspired City of Delusion, etc etc

so to predict the influences for the next time is nearly impossible, but if we want to try, we should listen to what he's been mentioning in the interviews

one thing comes to mind: in some recent interview he said that when in LA, he likes to listen to KROQ radio, but "Kate always switches to pop channels" :LOL:

but yes, Chris has said that Agitated and Yes please are songs that he thinks they should make more similar songs to, and Dom said he wants "raw fucked up sound"

Go figure :)

And Dom seemed to be very involved in the more electronic songs on T2L. Plus the band wouldn't have lasted anywhere near as long as it has with a dictator set-up.

Also, I disagree with the whole idea of Muse being on WBM is whats watering them down. Matt has mentioned that they have a creative control clause in their contract. They can do what they want and WBM can't change it. I do agree that the pressure of being on a major label may affect them to some extent. I would prefer to see them on a more independent label to relieve some of that stress. Plus with two of the band now fathers I think they'd welcome to added flexibility, that being said theres nothing to say they won't renew their contract.

Archived