I remember like 6 months ago you were saying "The 2nd Law is an amazing album" :p

Nah, I said it was an incredible step up from TR. It was more energetic and felt more inspired. But it still didn't work as an album. I specifically remember telling Clunge who was praising the flow on the release day that he'll change his mind as soon as the hype disappears, because it really worked(and works) awfully as a coherent album.

Nah, I said it was an incredible step up from TR. It was more energetic and felt more inspired. But it still didn't work as an album. I specifically remember telling Clunge who was praising the flow on the release day that he'll change his mind as soon as the hype disappears, because it really worked(and works) awfully as a coherent album.

I specifically remember those words in the ymt thread :phu: but I agree.

I respectfully postulate, though, that the amount of people who listen to an album who KNOW of the band (and more that liked the first album) and dislike the new album (at least to the extent of the complaints in my first post) would be higher than people who weren't familiar with the band/previous album.

I've fallen prey to this myself, a few times. I loathed Madness before I even got all the way through it. (Survival doesn't count... I still dislike it strongly.)

This is because, if you're already into an artist, you rate at least one of their previous albums really highly by default, because it got you into them. This is fairly obvious :rolleyes:

Before making the album, the band should be forced to only listen to Tool, Oceansize and Amplifier.

This looks suspiciously like a post I put up last year. Maybe I was being overzealous with that.

I think maybe something like Pelican and Russian Circles territory would suit Muse better than the likes of Isis. I'd have no problem with a couple of long songs, but I don't think they could pull off a whole album of massive tracks.

This is because, if you're already into an artist, you rate at least one of their previous albums really highly by default, because it got you into them. This is fairly obvious :rolleyes:

Or because its the best one. TR and T2L are just pretty clunky in their entirety and contain a number of weaker tracks.

Not necessarily, The Bends is what initially got me into Radiohead but I really don't rate that album much at all anymore.

What I'd be happy to hear next:

-At least one or two longer songs where it starts with a melancholic piano and builds up to something huge /or ends with a piano. But longer than 6 minutes.

-More Drop D riffages

-Darker post-rock/shoegaze territory with longer songs

-Space rock; something dramatic like Space Dementia outro

-No pop wankery

-a whole song with opera falsettos

-unusual song structures with unexpected math-rockish/post-hardcore elements (never gonna happen though:DD)

-keeping the arpeggio synth

-At least one or two longer songs where it starts with a melancholic piano and builds up to something huge /or ends with a piano. But longer than 6 minutes.

-More Drop D riffages

-No pop wankery

-unusual song structures with unexpected math-rockish/post-hardcore elements (never gonna happen though:DD)

Would love to see this happen.

And lol at no pop wank. Not gonna happen, mate.

>hating a whole genre

Touché. What's so awful about Muse writing some poppy songs? I'd feel something was lacking if we got an album with just long, odd songs. I'd like them to pull off something on the level of Superunknown, which has sprawling epics alongside really great singles.

I already accepted that Muse have a poppy side. And I don't mind songs like that on an album, they just have to make sure to put some good songs on there, too.

It doesn't mean they're bad. I love their pop songs, and I know they've always written pretty conventional stuff, but I just really want to see them try something less standard.

>hating a whole genre

We've had this discussion a million times. Clearly it all comes down to what you consider pop. If you consider Little Sister and Madness, how the fuck can you place them in the same level of poppiness:LOL:

-More Drop D riffages

-No pop wankery

This ... but the opposite (not exactly but you get the idea).

Honestly, I'm getting a bit tired of pop Muse.

When it's the only consistently good Muse, I'll take it.

I just want good songs.

Archived