I guess their efforts on making a concept album never really worked. I suppose it needs to have a theme and a tone through which you'd like to address that theme. And the songs must be cohesive. Absolution might have been the closest they got to actually doing this, IMO.

TR and T2L sounds as if a 15-year-old had just read 1984 or read a physics book and wrote a lot of songs filled with references, but with no clear narrative or any depth in developing those themes. In the end, I just couldn't stop thinking they were only trying to sound smart.

Just as an example, Citizen Erased is a far better approach to Orwellian themes like losing one's identity and being oppressed by the majority than anything in TR, IMO.

Definitely really dreary. Guess we'll have to see.

Really liked the imaginative Abso/BH&R photo style the best; the smoke art used in that latter era was pretty nice, as well.

I miss Storm Thorgerson so much. I agree with you, the art he made for Muse was impeccable, also for various other artists like The Mars Volta's "Frances the Mute," which is my longtime favorite piece by him. Such a shame that he passed, I could have seen him doing art for this record

Archived