I wrote off Follow Me on the description of the song, though, not on the title.

Which, was actually true of most of the songs on the last few albums, where I just got totally the wrong opinions from most of the descriptions.

Reviews didn't help. Apart from DiS talking about T2L (being honest with it basically being a mixtape, particularly), lots of them geared me up for entirely the wrong album. I came at The Resistance expecting something much weirder and less accessible.

I felt the same about TR.

Reviews and interviews with the band made it seems a lot more extremely different, when I thought it was probably the most mundane of the Muse albums, for the most part, when you exclude Exo.

Very radio friendly, even.

Madness also was clearly not what I was expecting, and I wonder if I would have been as negative about it if I didn't have those expectations.

Actually, probably...

I felt the same about TR.

Reviews and interviews with the band made it seems a lot more extremely different, when I thought it was probably the most mundane of the Muse albums, for the most part, when you exclude Exo.

Very radio friendly, even.

Madness also was clearly not what I was expecting, and I wonder if I would have been as negative about it if I didn't have those expectations.

Actually, probably...

Absolutely. All that talk of aerial warfare samples, etc. Looking back, I was basically expecting a guitar-based equivalent to Nine Inch Nails' Year Zero.

Madness, and much of TR as well, grew on me considerably when I accepted what they were rather than the sound I'd been led to expect.

Reviews didn't help. Apart from DiS talking about T2L (being honest with it basically being a mixtape, particularly), lots of them geared me up for entirely the wrong album. I came at The Resistance expecting something much weirder and less accessible.

Lol, i still remember some reviews praising the shit out of Explorers, and the song actually turned out being one of the worst things on T2L :LOL:

Absolutely. All that talk of aerial warfare samples, etc. Looking back, I was basically expecting a guitar-based equivalent to Nine Inch Nails' Year Zero.

Madness, and much of TR as well, grew on me considerably when I accepted what they were rather than the sound I'd been led to expect.

And that "aerial warfare" sample leading into Guiding Light...

Despite having the most songs I currently skip (I guess I'd have to counts up the ones I skip on Showbiz...) a lot of TR grew on me, and I always like most of T2L.

But yes, it was massively disappointing at first if I'm being honest.

Lol, i still remember some reviews praising the shit out of Explorers, and the song actually turned out being one of the worst things on T2L :LOL:

Of course, that's extremely subjective... as I really like the song, and it's actually my bf's favorite on the album. And clearly some of the reviewers held similar opinions.

Not really an example of descriptions not matching what songs actually are; mostly just someone having an opinion different than yours, right?

Yeah they compared it to Blackout and that got me really excited. In reality Explorers is on par with Feeling Good. There are good things about the song actually though, and the vocal performance is extremely good. But that's not enough to make me enjoy a song.

USoE was pretty far from the theme since it called for uniting; an Orwellian society is already totalitarian and "united" albeit under a corrupt system.

Well seeing as it's named after one of the continents at war in 1984, I think it's pretty safe to say it was inspired by 'Orwellian' themes.

USoE was pretty far from the theme since it called for uniting; an Orwellian society is already totalitarian and "united" albeit under a corrupt system.

I always looked at USoE as being from the POV of, like, propaganda for (corrupt) globalization.

Maybe that's just me wanting the song to be slightly as sarcastic as it sounds.

Fair enough. I think it's interesting though that everyone here says always that Muse always makes weak concept albums. What would be indicative of a strong concept album in Muse terms?

Well they'd have actually have a real concept album for us to judge really. I can't think of an album they have with a wholly unifying theme or story.

What do you mean with "in Muse terms"?

Basically what would Matt have to do to make a record seem like a cohesive concept album, considering his past "efforts" have been panned?

Well they'd have actually have a real concept album for us to judge really. I can't think of an album they have with a wholly unifying theme or story.

The closest they've gotten was Absolution, but even then it was only so-called in retrospect, all the songs written ended up having a similar theme but it kind of happened as an accident, inferred from Matt's surprise/dialogue in the Making of Absolution

Basically what would Matt have to do to make a record seem like a cohesive concept album, considering his past "efforts" have been panned?

The closest they've gotten was Absolution, but even then it was only so-called in retrospect, all the songs written ended up having a similar theme but it kind of happened as an accident, inferred from Matt's surprise/dialogue in the Making of Absolution

Abso was close, yes, but I don't know. It just never felt...... whole or complete. I mean I find easily their best but its just not quite whole.

Archived