I'd rather acts like Tool and Meshuggah, given that those acts generally rely on a guitars-bass-drums setup.

Also I've never liked Cedric's vocal style on the louder tracks- I really wish he retained the rabid barking from the AtD-I days.

Well I was thinking along the lines of The Bedlam In Goliath, the sound of that record was heavily 3 piece and most tracks were short and sweet; even the long ones if cut in half would be lone enough to convey the idea. Very raw rock, Cedric had a nice vocal attack all throughout too

I like the idea but Matts voice could never handle the intensity of that type of music imo.

Who says musical experimentation is limited to instruments and not vocals? ;) Dead Star or maybe Ashamed and Agitated are as close to this as they've gotten; I think it's high time for Matt to get weird with his vocals

Well I was thinking along the lines of The Bedlam In Goliath, the sound of that record was heavily 3 piece and most tracks were short and sweet; even the long ones if cut in half would be lone enough to convey the idea. Very raw rock, Cedric had a nice vocal attack all throughout too

I didn't like his falsetto much there either. Though you do have a point about it bringing things down to guitars (John Frusciante is in it a lot) drums and bass.

I like the idea but Matts voice could never handle the intensity of that type of music imo.

As in Mars Volta or one of the other acts people mentioned?

Who says musical experimentation is limited to instruments and not vocals? ;) Dead Star or maybe Ashamed and Agitated are as close to this as they've gotten; I think it's high time for Matt to get weird with his vocals
I'm definitely not suggesting that Matt shouldn't experiment, I just don't think taking inspiration from Mars Volta would work for Matt in terms of vocals.

btw, Micro Cuts? :p

As in Mars Volta or one of the other acts people mentioned?

Mars Volta. Matt could definitely take on a Tool-esque approach to vocals.

Archived